Official Review: Inferno Child by Jeremy Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Inferno Child by Jeremy Thompson

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inferno Child" by Jeremy Thompson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fasten your seatbelt for Jeremy Thompson’s Inferno Child—the first book in the Chronicles of the Kala’kort series packs quite a punch. The novel cleverly blends multiple genres—crime, thriller, mystery, and historical fiction—and takes readers on a whirlwind journey they won’t soon forget.

After being dispatched to the scene of a gruesome massacre, Police Lieutenant Jared Brewer and his colleagues are shocked by the sheer depravity and nature of the crime they encounter. What’s more, the entire local PD is baffled by the kind of weapon that may have been used to kill majority of the victims. However, much to the disappointment of the PD, the investigation is mysteriously redirected and swiftly swept under the rug before any crucial information is uncovered. Even so, Jared Brewer and his captain discreetly stay committed to the case. This sends the two men on a perilous journey that not only threatens their livelihood but also overall safety. For Jared, the journey also quickly becomes personal when he begins making the connection between his great-great-grandfather’s stories and the brutal killings.

Inferno Child had me enthralled from the first few pages and held my attention all the way to the end. The intense scenes, vivid descriptions, and gripping storyline ensured that there was no dull moment. An interesting aspect of the novel is that it encapsulates two parallel stories that unfold a century and a half apart. Each story holds its own with an interesting cast of characters, well-described settings, and pacing that never drops. Additionally, the narrative switches between the two timelines effortlessly; each story so magnetic that I was left craving more with each switch.

The interesting dynamic between characters kept me glued to the pages. Brewer and the captain’s working relationship and their quest to find the truth also captivated me. Some of the supporting characters' names, such as Night Sounds, Storm’s Eye, and Big Red Meat, etc., in context were funny to me, as it clued me in on their roles in their tribes.

The author’s first-rate writing style transported me to both settings with ease, and I couldn’t help but feel immersed in the world of the characters regardless of the timeline. Further, I enjoyed trying to piece together the mysteries from both stories. Additionally, I appreciated the plot twists that threw me for a loop, and the supernatural elements of the story left me intrigued.

Not for the faint-hearted, the narrative contains numerous graphic descriptions of violence and death. In addition, there are a few details of a mature scene intended for an adult audience. The novel would be best suited for those who enjoy books that blend multiple genres, especially thrillers, crime mysteries, and historical fiction. I would happily recommend this book but with a little caveat: the narrative does end with a number of cliffhangers. This was one of the aspects I disliked most. I was a little disappointed to not have all the answers I had longed for after all those pages. That being said, this is only the first book perhaps more answers will be found in the second book.

All in all, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Though the book is well-written, I did encounter more than ten errors—misspelled words being the most common followed by missing punctuation marks.

Inferno Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Such an excellent analysis! This novel seems to contain several genres, all of which are my favorites. As to cliffhangers, I wouldn't mind them since this is the first installment of the series, and there seems to be more the author is brewing for readers in the subsequent books. I'm, therefore, looking forward to reading it, and thank you so much for the recommendation!
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

This is the second review I've read from you in just the past 20 minutes and it's obvious you liked this one much better. Your talent for analysis and expressing yourself are becoming more evident and it seems to me you read a book with a lot of hope. Hope that the plot will be good, the characters interesting and mostly, the hope that you will like it enough to recommend it to your readers.

Once again, I don't think this will be a book I would enjoy, but I'm enjoying your reviews immensely and for now, that is more than enough.

Thanks again.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

Mystery.Thriller. Historical fiction? That's my cup of tea!
Inferno Child is fascinating and I like the idea of two mysteries - one in the past , one in the present - be unraveled simultaneously whose strings might just be connected .
:eusa-think: Just wondering, if I skim over that mature scene would I miss out on vital clues?
Thanks for the thorough review. :tiphat:
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The blending of genres and parallel plots are one thing, but i don't think the multiple cliffhangers on top of all that would be something I could handle. It does sound interesting though, and ypur review leaves me curious ad to what Night Sounds does in his tribe based on his name
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”