Official Review: Infinity Rhyme by Gregory Sulface

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: Infinity Rhyme by Gregory Sulface

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Infinity Rhyme" by Gregory Sulface.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Infinity Rhyme is labeled as a “fiction/literature poetry” book that mixes different fictional references, current events, and real-world personalities. The book is described as “Doctor Seuss mixed with Doctor House poetry, creative writing,” focusing on the use of rhymes to bring out the book’s appeal. Based on multiple pop culture references and the author’s imaginative introspection, Gregory Sulface brings us a book of rhymes with an imaginative flow.

The book is more poetry than fiction since it is organized in lines and stanzas. References from TV shows, pop singers, video games, and even anime are meshed together to form a set of words, which attempt to evoke certain images related to the references. The book also contains pictures, which aid the reader in imagining the images.

While reading the book, I find myself reading the lines as if I was rapping. The author’s focus on the multi-syllable patterns of rhymes makes the words in the book flow creatively and musically. I think that the book is better read out loud rather than silently to capture the essence of the rhymes. It helps that the book is also professionally edited since this eliminates the awkwardness in the rhymes due to grammar.

My only problem with the book is that I have no idea what the author is talking about. The stanzas are mostly a collection of words from pop culture references put together without forming any coherent meaning. An example of which includes “Aladdin,\puzzles,\ Galaxian,\ Einstein Rosen Bridge,\ solving, Mission Impossible,\ Gladiator.” (The backslash “\” indicates a new line in a stanza.) The book becomes even harder to understand if one doesn’t get the pop culture reference the author uses. This over-reliance on pop culture references makes the book inaccessible to readers besides the author. Even if the book contains some sort of fictional story, it is still difficult to interpret any meaning based on simply the collection of references. The pictures in the book function merely as decorations; they don’t reveal any hidden meaning behind the poems.

I think that the book is better suited as an audiobook, which the author plans on doing, rather than a printed book. Overall, Infinity Rhyme is an interesting book to recite but a pain to interpret any meaning out of it. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. While I don’t think I can recommend this book to those who are well-versed in poetry, I can still recommend this book to those who are a fan of music and pop culture references.

Infinity Rhyme
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-rk
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I don't think is a book for me. Poetry can be hard to interprut even when it is written well, and I think I would give up reading this one. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Even though this book didn't meet your mark it sounds like it could still be a fun read. Awesome review!
Spencer Mack
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag &auml;r Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Oh the concept sounded so intriguing till you said you didn't even know what the author was talking about, lol! I was intrigued enough to sample the book; but I am the living-under-a-rock sort of person who prolly would get only 1 out of every 10 references. Moreover, I can hardly ever understand any poetry (yikes but true) so I think I'll have to pass this one. Thanks for your honest and very well written review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”