Official Review: Divorcing Crazy by Michael Amon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Divorcing Crazy by Michael Amon

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Divorcing Crazy" by Michael Amon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael is fully aware that divorce and custody battles can get downright nasty. Still, his ex has taken things to a whole other level. She continuously makes false claims that he is neglecting the safety of his children by drinking or doing drugs in their presence. To maintain shared custody of his three children, Michael is court-ordered to attend one hundred Alcoholics Annonymous meetings within the year. While he is enraged at the prospect of enduring the sessions, his children mean the world to him, and he’ll do whatever it takes.

Will attending the meetings be enough to appease his ex-wife, or will she continue to make crazy accusations?

Divorcing Crazy by Michael Amon is an in-depth look at the numerous hoops a father-of-three must jump through to claim what is rightfully his. The author uncovers the depressing, but also downright hilarious realities of being part of the Alcoholics Annonymous community. The book is told in the first-person perspective and follows Michael as he documents each one of his meetings. Readers will be entertained by the author’s unrelenting wit and amusing observations.

There were many things that I loved about Divorcing Crazy. I greatly admired Michael’s character for a few reasons. First, he was put in a rather horrible position, but he handled the situation with humor and positivity. Had I been put in his place, dealing with all the false accusations, I would have crumbled under pressure. Second, his unwavering love for his children was apparent. He’d suffered financially and emotionally, but giving up was never an option.

Another thing that pulled at my heartstrings was the sense of community that Michael became a part of by attending the meetings. Despite his initial anger at having to spend time with unsavory characters, these individuals became an integral part of his life. Even though the meetings were centered around alcohol addiction, the life lessons learned could be useful for those without addictions, as well.

The only thing that irked me about the book was that it documented the meetings, but not much else. I found myself getting a little bored at times and hoping to learn more about his life outside of them. Perhaps by adding in the perspective of his children, it could have provided more excitement to the story.

While I didn’t notice any significant editing mishaps, there were quite a few grammatical errors. I found several instances of missing hyphens. I wanted to give this book a perfect score, but the errors easily exceeded ten. With that being said, I chose to provide the book with a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Due to the amount of profanity, I would not recommend this book to young readers. I would also discourage those looking for a light read to steer clear of the book as it covers some heavy topics.

I would recommend Divorcing Crazy to adult readers who are interested in learning more about addiction. This book would also be perfect for individuals who are directly affected by alcoholism, whether it be themselves or a family member.

It was a pleasure reading and reviewing this book!

Divorcing Crazy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I have a friend of mine that actually lost custody of his daughter when they got divorced. Sadly, the wife accused him of things so grueling (and found to be untrue) that he can never see his daughter until she is 18. It is so sad.

I have read another book by this author before, and I am sure that he does not disappoint with this book at all. Great job on your review and thank you!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Stephanie Elizabeth

Katie Canedy wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 03:11 I have a friend of mine that actually lost custody of his daughter when they got divorced. Sadly, the wife accused him of things so grueling (and found to be untrue) that he can never see his daughter until she is 18. It is so sad.

I have read another book by this author before, and I am sure that he does not disappoint with this book at all. Great job on your review and thank you!
That is terrible. Why anyone would accuse someone of terrible things and put their kids in the middle is unfathomable. Thanks for your comment!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Based on your interesting review, it sounds like I would appreciate the author's witty perspective despite the fact that he was falsely accused resulting in such a difficult custody battle. Thanks for the recommendation.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It's too bad that so much time in the book is spent at the AA meetings and not about other things going on in the author's life. Otherwise, it seems like an interesting book. Thanks for the great review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This seems like an interesting and witty read. It would be so difficult to be put into that position, so I wonder if Michael can come out the other side. I guess I'll have to read it to find out! Thanks for the intriguing review.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen divorce become extremely messy, so I'm definitely interested to see what Michael goes through. It's too bad about the errors, but they don't sound like they take away too much. Thanks for a nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cecilia_L wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 08:42 Based on your interesting review, it sounds like I would appreciate the author's witty perspective despite the fact that he was falsely accused resulting in such a difficult custody battle. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 19:01 I've seen divorce become extremely messy, so I'm definitely interested to see what Michael goes through. It's too bad about the errors, but they don't sound like they take away too much. Thanks for a nice review.
Thanks!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

What an awful thing to have to go through! This is different from what I usually read, but I'm interested in how things turn out, so I might read this one. Thanks for the great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 11:54 What an awful thing to have to go through! This is different from what I usually read, but I'm interested in how things turn out, so I might read this one. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”