Official Review: Gathered by Kurt Hansen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Re: Official Review: Gathered by Kurt Hansen

Post by Nuel Ukah »

We all need answers about an aspect of our lives. This story is quite relatable.
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84

Post by Seamstress »

Seems like quite interesting story to me, but unfortunately, not exactly what I am looking for at the moment. Currently I am still in the mood for something more easy and lovelier, so with this in mind I will shelve this book for sometime later.
ninski
Favorite Book: Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninski.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ninski »

I think by praising the characters so highly you have paid the highest compliment possible to any author. I will be reading this based on your recommendation, thanks for the informative review! Without it I probably would have skipped it as the cover suggests to me that it is about survival in a cold, dangerous landscape. Just shows how wrong you can be. The old wives weren´t wrong when they said don´t judge a book by its cover :wink:
“The problem with fiction, it has to be plausible. That's not true with non-fiction.”
Tom Wolfe
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

From the eloquent imagery and prose, to the relatable characters with endearing qualities, this certainly sounds like a quality title worth checking out! Thank you kindly for your insightful review.
tawcarlisle
Currently Reading: Reach for Me
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tawcarlisle.html
Latest Review: Are Your Kids Naked Online? by Chris Good and Lisa Good
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by tawcarlisle »

If I were on the fence about buying this book after looking at the cover, which I was not, this review definitely would have convinced me to take the leap. Thank you for sharing some of the quotes you enjoyed from the book to reference what you considered an elequent writing style. I agree.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD sounds really good! I was initially drawn to the cover, which I really love! Thanks for the excellent review!!

Written with eloquence and grace, today's BOTD is a fictional read about one man's journey of self-discovery after loss. How our lives look from the outside may not reflect similar to what we feel on the inside. Filled with memorable characters, language, and imagery, readers are sure to be pleased with this 5-star read. Thank you and congrats!
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

I LOVED reading this review! "Gathered by Kurt Hansen is the fictional journey of Sol Severson, a man who appears to have it all but longs for more." I feel that this is far more common these days than people want you to believe. One's physical pursuits and outward appearance is so drastically different than how one feels inside. I'm truly looking forward to seeing how the book turns out.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
ahawl008
Favorite Book: Freiheit
Currently Reading: Cancer Was Not a Gift & It Didn't Make Me a Better Person
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahawl008.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by ahawl008 »

I agree with reviewer Laura Lee in that a mysterious tragedy is hinted at in the sample read of the book, but not revealed. I enjoyed the review and think that I might read this book even though the tragedy is yet to be discovered. I really like mystery/adventure stories, but would read a book containing family/human drama like this one as a relief.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I have read the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and I am intrigued about the similarities between the two books. I can guess what some of the problems could be between Sol and his father. I also can guess what Sol's loss could be which leads him to travel to Wisconsin. I like that the book was so well edited and that there wasn't anything that needed improvements.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
ShiRah185
Currently Reading: Knowing He's There
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirah185.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Post by ShiRah185 »

Re: Official Review: Gathered by Kurt Hansen
by: ShiRah185

Such a marvelous review. This book seems to be one of those that gets the reader all caught up in the emotions of the protagonist. I'll give it a read. :techie-studyinggray:
tsic
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading: The Queen of Xana
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsic.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by tsic »

It's very thoughtful of Kurt Hansen to name the sections of his book after the seasons of the year, which also are symbolic of his pilgrimage to find peace and fulfilment. What's more, the book isn't that long (201 pages) but seems very inspiring, especially with characters like Sol's which according to the review are relatable and likable. When I browsed through the first few pages of this book I couldn't get the gist of the story, but thanks to this well summarized review which makes this book all the more interesting to read.
"A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.”
Salman Rushdie
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Thanks for the thorough and well written review of this book, however, the topic of this book doesn't pique my interest and make me want to go and put it on my shelf so I think that I will pass on reading this one. I'm sure that others will enjoy reading it though.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I was really hoping to find out what tragedy had happened to make Sol so introspective. In truth, I do not think this book is for me. I spent the entirety of reading the sample perched on the edge of my seat, encouraged by the author's excellent writing, just waiting for something to well...happen! It was, like, ok...when is the book really going to start? Definitely not my style of reading. Still, I always enjoy reading your reviews. Thanks.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

The topics that the author presents are not very appealing to me, so I will be passing on it. I do think that the author's creativity regarding the topics was well constructed and relatable to readers. Congrats to the author on BOTD! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
DanielleCMA2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DanielleCMA2018 »

Thank you for the beautifully written and organized review! It sounds like a page-turner you can't help get sucked into or put down.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”