Official Review: Gathered by Kurt Hansen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Gathered by Kurt Hansen

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gathered" by Kurt Hansen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gathered by Kurt Hansen is the fictional journey of Sol Severson, a man who appears to have it all but longs for more. Despite his successful accounting career, home in an affluent Chicago neighborhood, and the love of his wife and daughter, Sol feels empty. As the story unfolds, he faces a traumatic loss that causes him to confront buried feelings involving his father. Seeking healing and answers, Sol returns to his small hometown in Wisconsin to learn more about his family roots. Will he find the peace and fulfillment he is seeking?

This well-written book is 201 pages and is divided into four sections that are named for the seasons of the year but are also symbolic of Sol's journey. In the synopsis, Hansen is conservative about the details he shares regarding Sol's loss, so I will respectfully follow suit. However, Sol's journey draws certain parallels to Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The book traverses themes of family, relationships, loss, grief, forgiveness, acceptance, healing, and redemption. Although the story focuses primarily on Sol's internal struggle, Hansen effectively drives the plot through various evolving relationships.

Hansen's character development is spot-on. He masters the writing rule of showing versus telling and skillfully portrays characters by giving the reader glimpses into their lives. Sol is relatable and likable while his teenage daughter, Amy, is often moody. Sol's wife, Jan, tends to distance herself when she becomes overwhelmed, and his secretary, Emma, is bubbly but efficient. Sol's relationship with Aunt Christine is especially endearing. Hansen's characters are distinctive to the point that I feel I could identify them by the dialogues alone.

I particularly like Hansen's writing style; it is eloquent, captivating, and filled with prose-like imagery, such as, "They were a veritable palette of people, all living in proximity, and all blendable with the brush strokes of memory, melded by their shared history into a broad panorama, much like their color-rich autumn trees." I also appreciate Hansen's inclusion of a protagonist with a strong respect for women. Despite growing up in the 50s, Sol refers to his father's example of mutual respect between his parents.

I honestly can't name anything I dislike about the book or highlight any suggested improvements. In addition to the excellent writing, the editing is pristine. The book contains several profane words; only one is R-rated. The minimal sexual references are of a romantic nature and are non-explicit.

I wholeheartedly rate Gathered 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who appreciate stories about redemption, family, and relationships. The book will also appeal to those who enjoy writing that is characterized by imagery and prose.

Gathered
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds really good! I like that it is comprised of 4 sections (seasons) Sounds like a character-driven book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Code: Select all

no
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 16:00 This sounds really good! I like that it is comprised of 4 sections (seasons) Sounds like a character-driven book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Thank you, Stephanie.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I was drawn to this review by the cover of the book, but what's inside sounds equally intriguing. It sounds like a bit of a family drama, which I enjoy now and again. Thanks for the detailed review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ashley_claire wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 08:25 I was drawn to this review by the cover of the book, but what's inside sounds equally intriguing. It sounds like a bit of a family drama, which I enjoy now and again. Thanks for the detailed review.
I like the cover, too. Thanks for your comment, Ashley.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

It seems obvious that you have been critiquing books for a while because you really know your stuff. Not only do you examine the various aspects of the books but your own writing is intelligent yet easily understandable. And you have a true talent at expressing your thoughts concisely and creatively while adding just the right quotes from the book to affirm your opinions. One of my favorite of your descriptions was that "the editing was pristine." It certainly gives your readers a clear picture, even on an emotional level of what you're communicating. You have such a wide vocabulary, you're able to find just the words you need to express your meanings.

Thank you for another great review. You are turning me into a fan. :D

Sincerely, LLR
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your description of Sol's discontent intrigues me. I think many people go through this. They have everything they need, but they still feel like something is missing. You alluded to forgiveness and redemption as part of his journey. I am wondering if his healing/fulfillment had something to do with a spiritual crisis. Your review has made me curious about this story!!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story of redemption revolving around a man's journey on the Mississippi River sounds inspiring. Dividing the story into sections/seasons is creative. Eloquent writing, good character development, and well-edited make it a worthy read for fans of the genre. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like a wonderful book! I’m very glad that the author’s parents modeled a healthy respect towards women for him. Also, it sounds like the writing of it is top notch. Thank you for the great review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Hansen's character development is spot-on. He masters the writing rule of showing versus telling and skillfully portrays characters by giving the reader glimpses into their lives. Sol is relatable and likable while his teenage daughter, Amy, is often moody. Sol's wife, Jan, tends to distance herself when she becomes overwhelmed, and his secretary, Emma, is bubbly but efficient. Sol's relationship with Aunt Christine is especially endearing. Hansen's characters are distinctive to the point that I feel I could identify them by the dialogues alone.

After reviewing different books for OBC I've found this is not an easy feat. Sometimes characters seem to be just accessories to move the plot along without having distinctive features and, as you pointed out, it's usually obvious in their dialogues.
This seems like a deep and meaningful story with an amazing use of language. I love the quote you provided.
Thank you for your enthusiastic review!
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Aww, shucks! I was hoping to get some hint of what this mysterious tragedy is that send Sol on a mission of self-discovery! LOL This sounds like a very well-written book. I like the connection to literature (Huckleberry Finn). Connections like that suggest to me that the author is well-read himself and likely to present a well-written, erudite book. Thanks for sharing another well-written review. I always enjoy your analysis of the books you read, it's always well done.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I love that all the characters are well rounded, it makes for a much more immersive read. Thanks for the review!
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

The story of a man who seems to have everything but craves more. Then he faces a traumatic loss that makes him face buried feelings and tries to find peace and satisfaction. Oriented to readers who appreciate stories about redemption, family and relationships.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Your review makes this book sound so beautiful.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting fiction story highlighting themes of family,
relationships, loss, grief, forgiveness, acceptance,
healing, and redemption. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and an amazing OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @Kurthan85553498 on the BOTD selection.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”