Official Review: In a Boulder’s Shadow by JM Briggs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: In a Boulder’s Shadow by JM Briggs

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In a Boulder’s Shadow" by JM Briggs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The lives of four people—Traci, Tracey, Calahan, and Terry—intersect at Willem Haskey’s summer camps after they go through traumatic circumstances. Meanwhile, real estate agent Ernest Abelo is after the land where the camps are and which has been in Haskey’s family for generations. When Abelo’s tricky methods do not convince Haskey to sell the property, he asks Gruber, a former caretaker of the camps who is a drunk, to take extreme measures. Will Traci, Tracey, Calahan, and Terry find peace and healing at the summer camps? What will happen to Haskey’s camps and land?

In a Boulder’s Shadow by JM Briggs is a fiction novel that brings up the controversial and contemporary subjects of gun violence, schools’ shootings, and gang life. I selected to review this novel to get out of my reading comfort zone. I thought it was going to be a tough read, and honestly speaking, that I was not going to enjoy it. I was so wrong. Briggs discusses all of these harsh themes against the backdrop of nature, history, and legend, making it a story about healing after tragic events.

My favorite aspect of this novel was Briggs’ amazing ability creating characters. All of the primary and secondary characters of this book have strong backstories, and most of them are going through a tough time. For example, one survived a school shooting, and another survived an explosion in the war in Afghanistan. Briggs’ talent shines through when his characters’ lives converge at the summer camps, which are located in a land rich in history and legend. I loved reading about the Native American family who wanders through the apple orchard. I was amazed at how he managed to bring all of the primary and secondary characters’ lives together while also telling the generational story of Haskey’s property. I concluded that this is a book about the power nature has to heal and help humans find peace; therefore, we have to protect it.

Briggs astutely discusses relevant and important themes of our times. One of the themes that left its mark on me was how the gang life in cities like Chicago negatively impact children’s lives. Briggs portrays how teachers do what they can for the kids who live in neighborhoods plagued with poverty and gangs. Children join these gangs because they cannot see another way of life for themselves. Then, these kids become criminals and end up dead or in jail. Another theme that I found important was how teachers are not valued enough in the United States. For example, their salaries are not enough considering all of the work they do.

A professional edited this book, as I only found three grammatical errors. The only thing I did not particularly like was that the characters have the same type of shortened nicknames. Examples are that Haskey calls his daughter Kirstin by the nickname of Kirs. Calahan calls his friend Tazyhiro by the nickname of Taz, and Owen calls Haskey by the nickname of Hask.

I rate In a Boulder’s Shadow by JM Briggs 4 out of 4 stars. It is an excellent character-driven novel that brings awareness about contemporary subjects and reminds us of nature’s healing power. I recommend this book to fans of fiction books that bring up controversial themes and set in natural spaces. However, this story contains violent scenes, so I would not recommend it to sensitive readers.

In a Boulder’s Shadow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the characters really make this book. The themes are tough, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the book is hard to read. Thanks for your review. Very enjoyable.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 19:23 It sounds like the characters really make this book. The themes are tough, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the book is hard to read. Thanks for your review. Very enjoyable.

Yes, it is all about the characters. Thanks for reading and commenting! :D
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your praise for the author's development of the characters is quite encouraging. I like how you described the way the strong themes are presented and woven into the story. This looks like an intriguing read. Great job!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”