Official Review: Amanda and That Boy by Barbara M. Sutryn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: Amanda and That Boy by Barbara M. Sutryn

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Amanda and That Boy" by Barbara M. Sutryn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amanda and That Boy is a story of love. It is a story of compassion that surpassed obstacles to reach those who did not deserve it. The book is proof that love coupled with relentless passion can achieve a lot. This book was written by Barbara M. Sutryn. It is in the genre of other fiction and is approximately 300 pages.

What does it take to build up trust again when a person you had come to love and depend on disappoints you? How long does it take for one to give up eventually after encountering discourages? Amanda Wade wants to assist poverty-stricken children. She comes from a wealthy family, and her father fully supports her aspiration to help the poor. However, she has to overcome several stumbling blocks on her path.

Amanda has worked under unsupportive bosses and had to resign from work. She moves on to a different charity group, and things were not much different either. The overall organization of St. Margaret’s Charities was poor. The leadership structure was not clear, and there were frequent disagreements among the members of the board. She meets Henry Lincoln, Link, and a romantic relationship develops between them. Link has been taking care of a boy who comes from a disadvantaged family, Jasper. Her encounter with Link and Jasper forms a substantial portion of the story.

The story is narrated in the first-person point-of-view. There are a lot of twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat as you read the book. You will be transported through some high and low moments in the primary character’s life. You will be celebrating with her as she ultimately finds a husband who loves and makes her happy. The reader will also be laughing because of the various instances of humor in the book. On the other hand, there will be harrowing and sorrowful moments as well.

The characters were excellently developed. They had strengths and flaws that made them relatable. Amanda had a strong personality and had accomplished much on her own. However, she also admitted pressure at work and thus accepted help from friends such as John Parker. The plot was also well-built. All the events in the book flowed chronologically.

There were many themes handled in the book. Some themes include love, family, friendship, charity, forgiveness, loss, leadership, and theft. All the themes intertwined to form this fascinating story. There is nothing I did not like in the book except some cases where transitions were indistinct.

The book was professionally edited. I genuinely enjoyed reading it. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Those who love reading stories on charity works and compassion will enjoy it. It will appeal most to Christians as the story also involves transformation through the power of God. Anyone with an open mind can also read it.

Amanda and That Boy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a great book. I wonder if Amanda receives any backlash from her family regarding her choice to be romantically involved with someone who doesn't come from the same background? I like that the book deals with some important themes, but also provides humor. As always, thanks for the wonderful review!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

This sounds like an inspirational book. I love emotional stories like this one. Might give it a try, thanks for the review!
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

This sounds like a great story. I often find they do lean towards religion and that is off putting for me. I might have to try it anyway as I do think I can be open minded.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a really well-written story. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a good Christian fiction, and Amanda sounds like a realistic character. Another great review! Thanks for sharing with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Philip Innocent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Philip Innocent »

:lol: sounds like a very interesting book... And depicts my current situation in life right now.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I enjoy reading fiction with a slant toward Christianity. I also deeply respect those who work for nonprofits. This sounds like a great book about someone who is trying to initiate change, but is running into walls, maybe both professionally and personally. I think I will add this to my list of reads.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Nice review!! It definitely made me want to read the book. Love indeed makes the world go round. It almost seems like a non fiction book as the plot seems so realistic ...like something that might happen in real life to any one of us. Will check this one out soon.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”