Official Review: VD Anthology

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: VD Anthology

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "VD Anthology" by Tara Basi,Brian Kelly,Robert Hennebry,Cheryl Baden-Powell,Sophia Haddad, Georgina Hutchinson, J.D. H.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading books can be like eating. Some books are similar to three-course meals, encompassing several novels in a series. Others are akin to simple one-course meals, lasting for only a few hundred pages in a standalone story. Others still are more reminiscent of trail mix with multiple kinds of snacks in one "bag." And they're all perfect, depending on one's appetite when one sits down to eat or read. I was in the mood for pretzels and peanuts when I chose VD Anthology by various authors, listed on Amazon as Tara Basi, Brian Kelly, Robert Hennebry, Cheryl Baden-Powell, Sophia Haddad, Georgina Hutchinson, J.D. Halcro, Eliot Bryter, Kay Gillard, and Iris Sala. As its name indicates, the book is a collection of miniature stories by different writers.

When I read the synopsis for this collection, I was especially intrigued to find out that the authors had first performed these works live at the Perini & Perini bar as part of Club Verbal Discharge. Some of the writings were complete short stories, while other were excerpts from larger pieces. They were all intriguing, and they each made me wonder just what their author had been drinking or smoking, as most of them were a little bizarre, making them all the more enjoyable to read since I love off-kilter tales. The "voices" of the tales were also quite varied. Some were written in first person, while others were in third person. Sometimes I felt like I was hearing from a distinguished person, while other times found me wondering how the protagonist was able to string two words together. I was also impressed that the authors who included excerpts picked out the perfect scenes, as none of them left me feeling like I was hanging on the edge of a cliff, wondering what happens next, which was the one thing I worried about when I selected the book. While I would like to finish the relevant stories, I don't feel anxious about it.

My favorite piece was Pink Flamingo Soup by Brian Kelly. It was ostensibly about a librarian who was annoyed time and again by a young patron. It actually turned out to be so much more, and the tale-ending revelation had me so psyched that I had to go back and read the story again. I also really liked Frank by Tara Basi. I love Basi, so I wasn't surprised when I very much enjoyed the excerpt from his novella. It followed young Frank as he found out that he won a very helpful 'bot. Since I've exhausted all of Tara's other books, I hope that he releases the full story soon. Just A Perfect Day by Eliot Bryter and poems by Robert Hennebry also stood out. The former was about a family trying to have a perfect day at the beach, but the short story's format was unique. Likewise, it was fun reading Mr. Hennebry's works, as they were the only nonprose writings in the compilation.

I am happy to give VD Anthology 4 out of 4 stars. It's rare for a collection to have all A+ stories, but this one does. I am also delighted to report that the tales all seem to be professionally edited, as I found less than a handful of grammatical errors in the compilation's 64 pages. Some of the writings include profanity, mild violence, and one scene mentioning a sexual situation, so readers wary of those things should stay clear. Otherwise, I highly recommend this anthology to fans of short stories, people who like unusual tales, and readers looking for new authors to love. For my part, I will definitely be looking for some of the authors' other writings.

Earlier, I mentioned that these works all came from Club Verbal Discharge performances. The foreward mentioned that a vocal performance of their pieces, "for your aural enjoyment," can be downloaded online. I haven't purchased the file yet, but having read all of the writings contained in it, I certainly intend to, and I suggest that you do the same. VD Anthology is also volume one, so I'll be keeping my eyes - and ears - open for volume two and beyond. Literary snacks are always a nice break from full meals, don't you think?

VD Anthology
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Your review was as enjoyable as the book must be. I often thought of my reading as food for the soul. VD Anthology sounds like a smorgasboard.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have read works by Tara Basi; I know she's good. If the other authors are on the same level, it sounds fabulous. I love that it has an aural file you can buy as well. It's unique. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I love your food analogy at the beginning of your review! This sounds like a very interesting story collection from a talented group of writers. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

What a great review! It definitely sounds like this book is one of a kind and I like that it's a collection of stories written by various authors. Thanks!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”