Official Review: Painful Reflexions by Artie w woodington

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Official Review: Painful Reflexions by Artie w woodington

Post by Julehart1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Painful Reflexions" by Artie w woodington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Painful Reflections is written by Artie Woodington and is a realistic but fictional story about pain, abuse, heartbreak, and triumph. It is the second book of a series. When she was a little girl, Chock was raped by a man that she trusted. She also had to put up with racial bullying at her school. When she was sixteen, Chock married a man named Jimmy, who turned out to be an abusive monster. She suffered with him for twenty-three years but finally decided to leave him for good. She knew that if she stayed that she was going to either kill him, or he was surely going to kill her. Chock met Isaac a couple of years after her divorce and finally learned what a healthy relationship is supposed to be like. Can Chock ever have a life that is free of her possessive ex? Can she let go of all the emotional and physical trauma that she’s been through and finally learn to be happy? Will she find true love with Isaac, or will tragedy strike once again? Find out the answers to these questions and more in the second part of Chock’s emotional journey.

One of the things that I enjoyed about this book was that it was a very realistic story about abuse and perseverance. Even though I didn’t read the first book of the series, I still felt that Chock was a well-developed character. The events of the first book were also nicely summarized and discussed throughout this book. Chock was shown to be a strong woman of color who had to go through so much suffering, but she never gave up. She was a very relatable and endearing character that readers could wholeheartedly root for. It’s heartbreaking to read what she had been through in the first book and what she continued to go through with Jimmy in the second book. However, Chock finds a way to come out of everything, and she has such poise and strength that it’s inspiring. She learns to defend herself and stand up for herself. She truly goes through a journey and has a great arc.

Another thing that I liked was the way the relationship between Chock and Isaac developed. With him, she finally learned that love should not include pain. They had a great and healthy relationship that was based on communication, laughter, understanding, and mutual respect. Their relationship and traveling adventures together gave the book a nice balance and levity. It was a good contrast with the dark themes of the novel.

One issue that I had with the book was that it was kind of repetitive. Something would be stated to finish one chapter, and then the next chapter would contain the same lines. It was strange, and I’m not sure why it was done. The parts that were repeated made those sections tedious to get through again. Unless it was done for a specific purpose, maybe an editor could fix the issue.

I’m rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the realistic way Chock’s story was told, and I empathized with her as a character. She had real character development and growth. Chock was a survivor, and her journey was very inspirational. I’m taking a star away for the repetitive sections in the book because they really ruin the reading flow. The book was professionally edited with almost no grammatical errors, but the repetitive parts need to be looked at. I would recommend this book to people that like realistic stories about serious issues and also enjoy strong female characters.

Painful Reflexions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

"Painful Reflections" by Artie Woodington.This is a story based on reality but it is fictional story that deals with pain,abuse, heartbreak as well as success.
In her young age, Chock was raped by a man that she trusted.At the same times,she also faced bulling and racial discrimination at school.At the age of sixteen she married and her days of agonies and tragedies again started and life became a hell for her and after 23 years of miserable life, there was no way out than to take divorce and it ended with this.All the people are not the same, suddenly Chock got married with Issac which culminated in love, mutual respect and understanding and the miseries of the past remained as worst memories and no more.They got happy life.Every adult in the society can learn from this story and can make their life a better life abandoning despondency and despair and never lose heart in the face of difficulties.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

It is always nice to find a book with relatable characters who exhibit strength and perseverance in the face of seemingly insurmountable adversity. Appreciate your summarized impressions and review. Sounds like one worth reading!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like an emotional book that highlights an important issue in today's time. Even though there are repetitive parts, I am still very intrigued by your review and think I will check this one out. Excellent job!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many women could identify with Chock. Sadly, this situation is repeated in many lives. I hope her experiences have a happy ending to inspire readers. Thanks for the excellent review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

issue that I had with the book was that it was kind of repetitive. Something would be stated to finish one chapter, and then the next chapter would contain the same lines. It was strange, and I’m not sure why it was done. The parts that were repeated made those sections tedious to get through again
This usually works in situations where the author releases a chapter of the book periodically as he/she works on it. Kind of a reminding readers where the previous chapter ended. After the book is completed and published, it truly is awkward.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”