Official Review: Get Off My Lawn by Valerian Ruminski

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Get Off My Lawn by Valerian Ruminski

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Get Off My Lawn" by Valerian Ruminski.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is almost impossible to avoid people who behave stupidly. They proudly stand behind their annoying habits that can be labeled as bad manners. Do you have a neighbor who just needs to mow his lawn early in the morning when you are still asleep? Or maybe you remember the guy who races his car up and down the street every evening, just to display his masculinity? Sadly, due to their ignorance, these people seem to be oblivious to how irritating their actions can be. They expose us often to their nonsense, draining all feelings of positivity until there is nothing left but exasperation.

In this collection of stories, Get Off My Lawn! 100 Annoying Habits of People ...in General, Valerian Ruminski expresses his annoyance by ranting about one hundred unbearable acts that we observe in modern society. He has described these habits in a satirical manner, adding a humorous tone to his writing. From the author's creativity in labeling these people as "ignorant fools," I could create a glossary of all his unique slang. In each story, he was able to coin a term that related to the scenario in question. By satirizing these nasty habits, he highlights some educational social problems, such as racism, religious conflict, pampered children, animal abuse, or the incorrect speech of the English language. Yet, some stories looked more like a cascade of invectives that came close enough to the brink of brutal criticism. The story "It's One or the Other" features people who wear socks with sandals, and the author harshly names them "fool[s] with a head injury." This seemed to lean more toward a censorious condemnation on personal preference than general social issues. The elderly typically sport this fashion, and I'm assuming that it could be either to hide their aged and worn-out feet or it could be a blood circulation problem where socks are needed to keep their feet warm.

If you are a person who is bothered by the sound of wood or metal scraping across the floor in a coffee shop, then just like me, you will find the story "Drag that Chair, Quasimodo" entertaining. "Steal Anything That's Free" criticized greed and how some people demolish their dignity by presenting kleptomaniac tendencies. However, I wasn't able to relate with the author's opinion from the "Ketchup with Those Fries" story where ketchup should be savored only with hamburgers and hot dogs. For me, this belief seemed a bit exaggerated.

I am not sensitive to the use of profanity in certain circumstances where it could shake and make a person conscious about the gravity of the problem, but the author's overuse of expletives made this read quite toxic. There are high chances of bumping into a story that you may find unpleasant regardless of your ethnicity, religion, or life principles. Thus, I will recommend it to fans of satire who don't feel attached to their own mindset or beliefs and to readers who appreciate the spread of education through a loosened tongue. Considering all the above, I would have rated this collection of stories with 2.5 stars; but I believe a score of 2 out of 4 stars is more appropriate for this satirical book.

This book appeared to be professionally edited, as I only noticed a few punctuation errors and misspellings which can be easily overlooked. However, I would have loved to see one hundred annoying habits of people which focuses on a more communal disorder effect on society than on the author's inflexibility towards other people's personal tastes or lifestyles. His technique of scornful writing seemed to easily slip towards a more judgemental viewpoint. A careful selection of the stories, slight detoxification of the language, and a more tolerable tone might bring this work closer to a perfect score.

Get Off My Lawn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

It sounds like it could have been really funny as we all have those things that annoy us. I would like to read it, but it seems as if maybe it boarderlines on being cruel.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

Sounds hilarious. The many spelling mistakes would put me off more than the profanity though. Great Review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It is too bad that profanity is overused in this book; I think it should be only be reserved for the times that it truly warrants it. Otherwise, the book sounds quite funny and I am sure many of us could create our own stories about annoying habits! Thanks for the wonderful review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Though the judgmental nature of the book may get to me, I can't help but want to read it anyway. Sometimes people just do things to annoy you and you can't help yourself. I'd like to see what falls into this category for the author and why he felt the need to express that in a book. It certainly seems like there will be some sort of entertainment value to be gained from it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

The stories seem to cover a range of things that are somehow annoying to the writer. From the downright irritating things to some things that are not so obviously annoying. Perhaps the level of profanity is a way of expressing the level of annoyance the writer feels about these things. I am curious to read the book though, it sounds really funny.
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

This sounds like a fun book to read. Maybe I can get tips on how to deal with the annoyance or avoid it altogether. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Most any kind of comedy will offend you if you listen to it long enough. They go after everyone. I have those annoying neighbors in my neighborhood, but I do wonder if the language would be a not gratuitous for me. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I was just thinking that this book sounds very judgemental, and I dislike books like that as I think we should all be more tolerant, not less. Thank you for a wonderful review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Bhaskins wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 07:46 It sounds like it could have been really funny as we all have those things that annoy us. I would like to read it, but it seems as if maybe it boarderlines on being cruel.
It does contain some annoying scenes that people often do which the author manages to put in a humorous light. On the other hand, consider avoiding personal attacks. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Laila_Hashem wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 07:53 Sounds hilarious. The many spelling mistakes would put me off more than the profanity though. Great Review!
There were just a few misspelling, so you might consider reading it. It has a hilarious premise, indeed! Thanks for stopping by, Laila!
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 09:58 It is too bad that profanity is overused in this book; I think it should be only be reserved for the times that it truly warrants it. Otherwise, the book sounds quite funny and I am sure many of us could create our own stories about annoying habits! Thanks for the wonderful review!
I did enjoy the comical approach, despite all the expletives and offensive descriptions of these ignorant people. I hope you'll give it a try! I appreciate taking the time to read my review. Thanks, Stephanie!
Nisha Ward wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 10:30 Though the judgmental nature of the book may get to me, I can't help but want to read it anyway. Sometimes people just do things to annoy you and you can't help yourself. I'd like to see what falls into this category for the author and why he felt the need to express that in a book. It certainly seems like there will be some sort of entertainment value to be gained from it.
It definitely was an entertaining book, as an overall, with some educational nuances. The improvements I proposed had the purpose of expanding the target audience. I believe the core of this book should reach to as many readers as possible. Overlook the author subjectively, and I'm positive you will enjoy this satirical work. Happy reading, and thank you for commenting, Nisha!
Radiant3 wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 14:39 The stories seem to cover a range of things that are somehow annoying to the writer. From the downright irritating things to some things that are not so obviously annoying. Perhaps the level of profanity is a way of expressing the level of annoyance the writer feels about these things. I am curious to read the book though, it sounds really funny.
I agree to use profanity to highlight his feelings. I felt his deep irritation at these disturbing habits during the reading, along with the amusing contrast between ethics and immoral behavior. However, the aggressive tone and offensive labeling of some particular subjects made me reflect on the fine line between the satirical approach to actions, situations and an average attack on a personal level; and I believe that the author slipped over the line, in some of the stories.
Thank you for sharing your opinion, Radiant! It is much appreciated! Happy reading!
Wanjugush wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 17:40 This sounds like a fun book to read. Maybe I can get tips on how to deal with the annoyance or avoid it altogether. Great review.
I avoid giving any spoilers, but as I said in my review, you would definitely get a tip on some funny nicknames for this kind of people. Thanks for stopping by, Wanjugush!
kandscreeley wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 18:32 Most any kind of comedy will offend you if you listen to it long enough. They go after everyone. I have those annoying neighbors in my neighborhood, but I do wonder if the language would be a not gratuitous for me. Thanks for the review.
From a personal point of view, I do not quite agree to hide a malicious intention behind the comedy. But I understand what you mean and how extensive this area of ​​ironization can be; you can spread it on any subject, indeed, but there is no difference between the constructive-hilarious critique and the hostile-grumpy one? Anyway, this could be an entertaining read, if you think you can ignore the expletives. Thanks for the comment, kandscreeley!
Prisallen wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 08:13 I was just thinking that this book sounds very judgemental, and I dislike books like that as I think we should all be more tolerant, not less. Thank you for a wonderful review!
I agree! There are some more lenient forms of expression of these annoying habits while preserving the elements of satire. Thank you for sharing your viewpoint, Prisallen!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

Apart from the overuse of profanity, this sounds like a book I would thoroughly enjoy, as I am a huge fan of sarcasm
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Profanity doesn't bother me. I actually have to pay really close attention to even notice it, so that aspect wouldn't bug me at all. If the book is meant to be satire, then I would guess that the small things are treated the same as the big things as part of the humor/point of the book. I don't eat ketchup at all, so my answer to that is that it should all be thrown away. I will have to ponder reading this one.
Thanks for the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really dislike the overuse of profanity that you described. Thanks for the honest review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I can understand how this book could be offensive for some people, but I think I would find it hilarious. It's good to laugh even at our own flaws or annoying habits. Great review, thanks!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I don't mind profanity only if it adds to the story, but cursing for the sake of cursing is not for me. :eusa-naughty: I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the candid review! :-)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”