Official Review: Mighty Mary by Tony Scaringe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Re: Official Review: Mighty Mary by Tony Scaringe

Post by Tomah »

nooregano wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 00:27
Mighty Mary is a novel with a lot of potential that fails to deliver as far as character development is concerned.
Sigh. That is the one main metric I use to judge a story, and it's disheartening that there is no character development. However, the premise of the book is really intriguing, and it seems to have been a very informative read. I'm curious to know, Tomah, did you personally like the book?
Mbrooks2518 wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 16:25 From the summary, this doesn't seem like one I'd enjoy. The numerous errors and weak characterization cemented my decision to pass on it. Thanks for the great review!
esp1975 wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 16:10 The concept sounds great. I know a woman who was on an all women sailing team, and even now they still face a lot of discrimination and a lack of respect. At the same time, I am a little mistrustful of a book that tells the story of the first all women anything mainly from the POV of two men, one of whom claims credit for the "idea" of an all female team. I don't feel like I am going out on a limb to guess that many women have had that idea throughout the history of the sport.
Thanks for the comments! Indeed, the novel would've been much better if it focused more on the women. I did enjoy the book's first half. The second half... not so much. I was expecting to get more of those exciting sailing scenes from the beginning and more character development for the women, but that doesn't really happen.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a sport I am not familiar with. I appreciate that you mentioned that the book is based on a real story, and that the author has done extensive research to write this story. The rating was disappointing! Thanks for your candid review of this book.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 08:15 This is a sport I am not familiar with. I appreciate that you mentioned that the book is based on a real story, and that the author has done extensive research to write this story. The rating was disappointing! Thanks for your candid review of this book.
Thanks for the comment! Yes, the author clearly did his homework, but sadly the execution is less than ideal.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

It sounds like a good plot line that was ruined by minor details. the first good was indeed better. Great review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Laila_Hashem wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 08:18 It sounds like a good plot line that was ruined by minor details. the first good was indeed better. Great review!
Thanks for the comment! Yes, the basic idea is interesting, but sadly the execution isn't all that great.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

It's really sad. I was excited about what seemed like a strong female driven plot
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Amenrodion wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 06:46 It's really sad. I was excited about what seemed like a strong female driven plot
Yes, the novel does have a lot of wasted potential, in my opinion. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”