Official Review: According to my Father by Andrew Grof

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: According to my Father by Andrew Grof

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "According to my Father" by Andrew Grof.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

According to My Father by Andrew Grof weaves a circuitous route through and around the life of a nameless father and his maid as told through the eyes of his progeny. His father is both crazy and brilliant, sane and ridiculous. He spoke to ancient Incans about trains, handpicked harams for sultans, and died at the hands of Nazis on multiple occasions. After each death he suffered throughout the eons, his maid always begrudgingly appeared to collect and revive him in body and in mind.

Told in an inventive and poetic style, Grof weaves a tale of the improbable and inevitable, comprising of vignettes following one man through time. The only constants in the life of the father are his deaths, rebelling against the powers that be, and his continual amorous supplications being rebuffed by his maid. The father’s constant search for love and desire to quench his lust throughout the book leads up to an inevitably uncomfortable conversation with Freud during an accidental encounter.

Andrew Grof has put together an interesting philosophical look at life that balances suffering and beauty with a backdrop that often focuses on life in a country at war or under occupation. This perspective is well-earned as the author spent his formative years in communist-controlled Hungary. For me, the highlight of the book was the constant interplay between the incorrigible father and the unflappable maid despite the constant theme of tragedy and oppression.

I was not prepared for what I was getting into when I picked up this book. It is referred to as a novel on the cover; however, so much poetic license was taken with the grammar and style of the book that it read more like abstract art. Some paragraphs spanned two or three pages with only one period making an appearance the entire time. It made the passages feel as if someone was telling a story to you in a rambling fashion. Other portions of the book were told in choppy, one-line sentences. I was initially very taken aback by the style and constant contradictions; I often thought that I, with a degree in literature, was not cerebral enough to appreciate what I was reading.

While some people love the music of Philip Glass, the vast majority of casual listeners think it is just noise. I think this book is very similar in that it is perfect for just the right audience, while the majority will not want to put forth the mental gymnastics to appreciate it fully. I recommend this book to those who enjoy short bursts of intense stories and those who are willing to throw the grammar book out the window. Lovers of the absurdities of the ilk of Gabriel Garcia Marquez would also enjoy According to My Father. It is generally well-edited, but I was able to find a number of minor errors pertaining to punctuation. I rate this riddle of a novel 3 out of 4 stars; in other words, the fictional father would claim that it will appeal to everyone and no one. Of course, if you find this type of logic intriguing, perhaps you should pick up this novel.

According to my Father
View: on Bookshelves
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

Even though this is not one of those books that I would love to read, I must say you did a great review. Thank you.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. So this is regarding reincarnation? I'm not sure the style would sit well with me; it seems to be more poetic, which isn't my thing. I'm glad you were able to find it somewhat enjoyable.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Cerebral writing doesn't appeal to me and I dislike reading books with the type of poetic license you describe. Thanks for your excellent review on what sounds like a challenging book.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I wish I had the time to read all the interesting books I keep stumbling across on this site. Your review made it sound wonderful!
owachtel
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owachtel.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Post by owachtel »

This is a lovely review! Thank you for describing the style so well! I think I've found my next book to read.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

Wow, interesting! So does the father die and come back to life? Anyway I think I am the "no one" that this book would appeal to. But interesting review! I liked it.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

'I often thought that I, with a degree in literature, was not cerebral enough to appreciate what I was reading.'
I suspect that there are some writers who aim for precisely this kind of reaction! I don't think I'll bother reading it, as it sounds a bit too much like hard work. Excellent review though!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 17:09 Interesting. So this is regarding reincarnation? I'm not sure the style would sit well with me; it seems to be more poetic, which isn't my thing. I'm glad you were able to find it somewhat enjoyable.
Think more reanimation than reincarnation.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is interesting how the author's life experiences are reflected in the main character. It seems that both the main character and the maid reappear by reanimation. I had to chuckle at your comment about throwing the grammar book out the window. Paragraphs that last for three pages would be fatiguing! Great review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I am a fan of the concept of using format to help tell a story, so I think I might like to pick this up and give it a go. Not certain I will end up liking it, or "getting" it, but I think novels often forget that our eyes see more than just the words on the page, and we take as much away from what we are reading in form as we do content.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

What a great review. It does justice to the book. I will surely pick it up when my brain needs a little absurdity :mrgreen: I am sure I will like the book and will not like the book.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

I believe in reincarnation and the fact that the book has been written with poetry in it, I would like to read it.
Wanja Kenya
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

You did a wonderful job of objectively reviewing this book. I liked the way you compared the writing to abstract act. Although this book is not for me, I appreciate the author's creativity.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila_Hashem »

Sounds like a very interesting read. Thanks for such a great review! I am starting the book soon.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”