Official Review: A Year Of The Teacher by Steve Logston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: A Year Of The Teacher by Steve Logston

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Year Of The Teacher" by Steve Logston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Year of the Teacher by Steve Logston is a fictional coming-of-age narrative that follows Tony Stephens, a recent college graduate forced to move home after he is unable to find a teaching job. To make matters worse, his girlfriend, Melissa, breaks up with him. Tony fears he may be stuck in his industrial hometown working in a factory, but at least his parents are supportive. He reconnects with his best friend, Leon, and a fellow musician reaches out to him to join a band he is forming. Tony's exceptional year begins when he is hired as a sixth-grade teacher in Flag Station. As he settles into his new job and community, he develops new friendships, attends practices with the band, and is asked to coach the school basketball team. He is pleasantly surprised when Melissa shows up at his door, and they begin to rekindle their relationship. Things are really looking up for Tony until tragedy strikes.

This well-written book is 244 pages and told in the first-person narrative from the perspective of the protagonist, Tony. It highlights the increasingly common issue of college graduates being unable to find work in their fields of expertise. On a personal note, both of my daughters experienced the same challenge despite graduating with honors. The story moves at a steady pace through the daily circumstances in Tony's life. The author uses strong character development to illustrate Tony's growth over the year. Tony is flawed yet relatable; the only exception I noted pertained to his encounters with women. I find it far-fetched that despite their ages, practically every woman he meets wants to sleep with him and makes the first move. However, Tony matures and progresses from feeling sorry for himself to prioritizing relationships and helping others. This is most evident in his interactions with the school basketball team, his landlord, and the principal.

Jake Nielsen, the principal and Tony's boss, is another character who stands out. In fact, I particularly like the portrayal of the friendship between the two men. Good-natured Jake offers Tony both personal and professional advice, usually with a touch of humor. He isn't pushy or overbearing, and it's evident he is fond of the young teacher, which is probably why Tony usually heeds his advice. The relationship comes across as genuine and sincere. Since the author is a retired teacher, I couldn't help but wonder if he experienced a similar relationship as a mentor or as one being mentored.

On the other hand, I disliked the final chapter of the book, which abruptly shifted by introducing not one, but several life-changing events. The single reference to this in the synopsis, "...when everything seems to be going so well for Tony, it all starts crashing down," was an understatement. Without revealing any plot spoilers, I found aspects related to the plot, sequencing, and relationships unrealistic and inconsistent with the rest of the book. These factors influenced the ending, which felt rushed and comparable to watching an enjoyable movie that suddenly concludes with one of those endings that tempts me to yell at the screen. I wondered if the author was setting the stage for a sequel but felt he could have done so with a more satisfying ending.

Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the issues with the final chapter and ending, it is an engaging story, and the editing is professional. However, it does contain profanity and non-explicit sexual references. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy coming-of-age stories. It will also appeal to musicians, teachers, coaches, and basketball fans.

A Year Of The Teacher
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

"I find it far-fetched that despite their ages, practically every woman he meets wants to sleep with him and makes the first move. "

I wish authors would realize how much this really does take from a book. Over-sexualizing a character can shut down a reader's engagement in a good plot because it seems so unnecessary. Excellent review, as always!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

It's sad that the book's ending is rushed and out-of-the-blue. I hate it when that happens. I enjoyed reading your review, but I doubt Tony's character would be something I find intriguing.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 07:20 "I find it far-fetched that despite their ages, practically every woman he meets wants to sleep with him and makes the first move. "

I wish authors would realize how much this really does take from a book. Over-sexualizing a character can shut down a reader's engagement in a good plot because it seems so unnecessary. Excellent review, as always!
Thanks for your comment, Sarah. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Fuzaila wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 09:24 It's sad that the book's ending is rushed and out-of-the-blue. I hate it when that happens. I enjoyed reading your review, but I doubt Tony's character would be something I find intriguing.
Thank you, Fuzalia. :tiphat:
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

This was an informative and clear review! The topic seems very of-the-moment. The aspect you bring up about the unrealistic sex appeal of the protagonist makes me wonder if the whole attitude of the book includes a sense of wounded privileged: the idea that nice dudes from good families who make their way through school ought to be able to find jobs and be happy and successful, and if they don't, the world is broken. This is reading more into it than is perhaps fair; it just sounds like a book that several young men of my acquaintance might have written.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

This sentence," practically every woman he meets wants to sleep with him and makes the first move," seems to me unconvincing and unrealistic.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ChainsawCat wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 11:27 This was an informative and clear review! The topic seems very of-the-moment. The aspect you bring up about the unrealistic sex appeal of the protagonist makes me wonder if the whole attitude of the book includes a sense of wounded privileged: the idea that nice dudes from good families who make their way through school ought to be able to find jobs and be happy and successful, and if they don't, the world is broken. This is reading more into it than is perhaps fair; it just sounds like a book that several young men of my acquaintance might have written.
Thanks for your comment. You make an excellent point. In the beginning, the book seemed to be headed that direction, but Tony shows signs of growth as the story progresses.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nizar Ali Shah wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 12:43 This sentence," practically every woman he meets wants to sleep with him and makes the first move," seems to me unconvincing and unrealistic.
Exactly. Thanks for your comment.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I was hooked until you told me about the last chapter. An unsatisfying or simply badly written ending can ruin an entire book for me, so I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kelyn wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 13:28 I was hooked until you told me about the last chapter. An unsatisfying or simply badly written ending can ruin an entire book for me, so I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review!
I understand. Thanks for your comment.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

I am not the target audience, but I find the story realistic and relatable. I agree, most college graduates nowadays are struggling to find jobs - even those who graduated with honors. In this fiction tale, Tony's ups and downs gave me a "memoir" feel.

Let me scream with you for the sad, mysterious, and abrupt ending. *laughs*
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

supernatural143 wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 22:55 I am not the target audience, but I find the story realistic and relatable. I agree, most college graduates nowadays are struggling to find jobs - even those who graduated with honors. In this fiction tale, Tony's ups and downs gave me a "memoir" feel.

Let me scream with you for the sad, mysterious, and abrupt ending. *laughs*
Thanks for your comment and supportive scream. :lol2:
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

The book sounds interesting and addresses a pretty prominent problem in the world today. It's too bad that the author rushed the ending! I'm glad that, despite the inconsistencies, you still thought the book was engaging and rated it appropriately. Good review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This story might give hope to new graduates who are struggling to find employment. I'm glad Tony matured and did not spend all his time playing in the band but was able to use his education and training to help others. The story sounds interesting, but I am conflicted about the ending! Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”