Official Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by srividyag1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Randy the Irresistible" by S M Goodier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier is a British comedy based on the life of a man named Randy Love. Randy is intelligent and well educated. He is also a very talented salesperson. Despite his foolish and selfish antics, he is widely loved by many people. This novel follows Randy as he drops out of college and begins to earn a living. This book is a bildungsroman where Randy learns about what is important in life and what kind of people are worth his time.

Randy is a selfish and conceited person at the beginning of the book. He flirts with random women and sleeps around without discretion. He has a good relationship with his father John. Nevertheless, he tries to swindle money out of him. Randy just cannot control it; if he sees a shortcut to make money, he takes it. Due to his intelligence and charm, he devises various ingenious plans. Such plans include winning silly bets, playing pranks on his property owner, etc. He initially gets small-scale jobs and then part-time jobs, before establishing himself as an employee of a reputed bank. Randy then realises that he has much more potential and he moves to London and passes the financial advisor exam. There he again moves in and around many houses before encountering a woman named Nicky. Randy’s brother James and his sister Harriet play a major role in his enlightenment as he becomes more mature and wise. Will Randy finally realise that people are important to him? Will he carry on as a selfish single man chasing women? These questions are answered in this fast-paced and hilarious book.

It is easy to condemn Randy’s character and rate this book low because of it. However, I am a devoted fan of British humour. I find it refreshing, and I always learn something new from this genre. This book did not disappoint me. There are history lessons and life lessons strewn amidst amusing incidents. Randy has a knack of getting into absurd situations due to his fundamental lack of common sense and deficiency in the knowledge of human nature. Nevertheless, someone always bails him out. Although Randy seems like a person who lacks basic empathy, we feel like supporting him. When Randy becomes almost homeless, we want him to find a place to stay. When Randy becomes the victim of a credit card fraud, we want him to get his money back.

This book has a multitude of minor characters. Since Randy is the star of the story and everyone else is a satellite revolving around him, these characters appear and disappear randomly. I found it difficult to track them all, but later I realised they exist only as anecdotes for the bigger picture that is Randy’s life. Outwardly, this book may seem like a joke. Initially, this book is shallow and has many misleading portrayals of women and homosexuals. Nevertheless, I would urge the reader to stay a bit longer with the book. Because, eventually, I found many deep thoughts. To quote,
“You seem to have completely missed the point to life. The key to success and happiness is through other people. It’s our human connections that make us more intelligent, compassionate and understanding.”
These lines seemed to capture the entire point of human existence.

The book is professionally edited and I could find only one or two typos in the entire book. However, I found the typesetting had some issues. All the double l’s appeared as single l’s in the kindle version. This was annoying at first, but I got used to it. It might be an issue with the online version only and can be easily rectified. In light of the above, I give Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is worth your time if you are a fan of British humour like me. However, those who get easily offended by minor profanity might not like this book. Since Randy initially objectifies women, some readers might get upset right at the start. The book also has certain erotic scenes, which I will not recommend for a younger audience.

Randy the Irresistible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I have read the same book but with a different title. When I saw your review, I thought it's a second installment in the Randy Love series. Anyway, I think it's quite creative of the author to change the book title, I found the first title bland. Thanks for your review.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

Randy is a character to be curious about. I wouldn't read this book , but I think randy would lure me.🤣🤣🤣
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

So that's where it went! I was wondering why Randy Love had been pulled from Amazon. The British humour really does make the book and I'd love to read it again.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I also thought this was a follow up to the previous Randy Love book that was available for review here. Interesting decision by the author to change the title. :eusa-think:
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Am all for British humour since the days of Rowan Atkinson. This is a definite read.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Randy's back! Your high rating makes me think the author has taken the time to make some of the suggested changes to the text. I enjoyed remembering Randy through your review. Thanks!
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I have just finished reading the book and I LOVED IT!! Not only was it relatable but also educational and very fun.

Based on my own personal experience, I find Randy to be a good example of the average young adult; we may exclude his good looks and conceit maybe, but overall, his attitude towards life, relationships, responsiblities and commitments is quite typical of young adults these days. That's why, in my opinion, this book is a must read.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

Randy is a very intriguing character, a typical youth. I like the story.
elsaoko87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsaoko87.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by elsaoko87 »

I am currently reading this book and find Randy a relatable character to many youths in the society who blame the community for their problems without reflecting on their actions and inactions
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

I had my doubts on reading the book but your review has given me the green light to get into it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”