Official Review: Bald Tire by Tommy James Gothard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Bald Tire by Tommy James Gothard

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bald Tire" by Tommy James Gothard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bald Tire by Tommy James Gothard is unique in that it tells the story of one man, but through the eyes of many people. Though the book has one cohesive plot line, the story of the life of a man nicknamed Skinner, it is actually comprised of a collection of short stories narrated by Skinner’s friends, neighbors, family members, and acquaintances.

We meet Skinner at age 62 following a suicide attempt that has him confined to a hospital and contemplating his life. His narration explains that since age 12, when he tragically lost his brother to an accident, the only thing keeping him alive has been a promise he made to his mother. We also meet Skinner’s sisters, parents, the man who accidentally ran over his brother, a nun Skinner had befriended, and a slew of other colorful personalities. Each one explains his or her relationship with Skinner and their experiences before and after the accident. Gradually, their stories fill in the context for Skinner’s decision and give life to the small-town community in which he was raised.

This multi-sourced approach to character development was one of the uniquely intriguing aspects of this novel. Though the stories told (often in the form of reminiscences) were sometimes tragic, all were told with a quirky sense of humor and irony, instilling each character with a unique voice and memorable identity. Even the lesser characters undergo changes, and it is fascinating how much the author accomplishes with a handful of descriptive and well-placed words.

I really didn’t have anything negative to report about this book. The pacing was spot-on - contemplative yet exciting, with chapters just long enough to hold interest but not so long as to become burdensome. The editing was impeccable, and no story or character seemed out of place in the whole of the story. There was some sensitive content (discussions of suicide, a few instances of foul language) that may render this book more appropriate for adult readers, but other than that I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It is at times funny, shocking, sad, and uplifting, and in that, Bald Tire creates not just a nuanced portrait of an interesting character, but of humanity and small-town mentality as well. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Bald Tire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I like the author's approach to telling to the story through so many different characters. I've rarely came across that in my readings. This sounds like a nice, hopefully uplifting read.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

Such a unique approach and yet another insightful message as to how childhood experiences may affect us as adults. Great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a unique way to tell a story and involves the reader in piecing the story together. I enjoyed your description of the author's ability to use well-placed words to describe the characters. This looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I love the way you described this book. I can't wait to read it. I'm adding this into my goodreads now.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

This is definitely a different approach to evolving the main character as well as the minor characters. I also like that Gothard is dealing with a topic that is uncomfortable to discuss; this book can hopefully be used as an ice-breaker. Thanks for the great, informative review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Sounds like one unique book. Great review.
Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ikigai »

The idea of the book is quite interesting and intriguing. The multiple characters that the author develops sounds like a difficult and challenging task. Great review! Thank you!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”