Official Review: Simon Seeker by Frank Wallace

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Simon Seeker by Frank Wallace

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Simon Seeker" by Frank Wallace.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Simon Seeker by Frank Wallace is a story of friendship, adventure, and environmental conservation. Written exclusively for adults, this is the coming-of-age tale of a young boy who touches the lives of everyone he meets. It epitomizes the messianic quote, "And a little child shall lead them".

Simon’s best friends are animals and insects. He has never known the world beyond the confines of the farm and the neighboring woodlands where he grew up. After his father’s passing, their home goes up in flames and young Simon embarks on an adventure alone to see the world. He encounters a plethora of people including a truck driver, a sex worker, a TV show host, and a student writer. They find Simon wise beyond his years and they are in awe at his innate understanding of ecology and of life. Fame comes his way, but Simon remains as humble as ever. His main concern is for the protection and care of the natural world and he inspires all whom he encounters. When his legal guardian comes into the picture, Simon’s goals are threatened with the possibility of attending school.

Simon Seeker is a unique story which will inspire its readers and instill in them a deep love and respect for nature. I really enjoyed reading this book because my major is Environmental Science. Since I have a background in ecology, I liked how the author incorporated facts about animals and insects in the tale. For example, ants were one of Simon’s favorite things to talk about. One time, he launched into a description of Dominique chickens. The author also highlighted important environmental concerns such as how bird populations in cities were decreasing because noise pollution prevented them from hearing other birds’ mating calls.

In addition to ecology, Simon also had a great understanding of life and death because he had witnessed it during changing seasons and on the farm where he lived. He also believed that everything was made of stardust. Simon spoke about the cyclical nature of death, composting, and returning to stardust. It was interesting to read about this from a child’s perspective. Additionally, Simon touched the lives of everyone he met. They began to see the world differently and they ultimately evolved into better people. I think the author’s choice to use a child as the main character was very effective in getting across some remarkable concepts and lessons to readers.

What I liked most, however, was that this book made me more mindful of the little things in life. The story inspired gratitude and appreciation for life. Simon was cut off from society for most of his life, so while on his adventure, he experienced many things for the first time such as eating lobster, watching a movie at a cinema, and making human friends. This brought a smile to my face and I felt thankful for the food, entertainment, and friendships in my own life.

The only thing I disliked was that the ending seemed drawn out. In my opinion, the story could have been concluded much earlier if some of the minor conversations and events were trimmed off. The book was edited fairly well and only contained a few minor errors. There were a couple of profanities, but there were no erotic scenes. Although the book is mainly about Simon who is about twelve-years-old, it is best suited for adults. I would recommend it to anyone who likes nature, children, and science. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars for its inspirational characters and the wise lessons which it will impart to its readers.

Simon Seeker
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like the book already. I am a nature lover, and I like that the book talks about nature and it's conservation. I hope its content is impactful on a reader as Simon's life.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

That is an interesting read. I enjoy books about nature beavise I grew up in a farm. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't know that I've seen a coming of age story written exclusively for adults. Simon sounds mature beyond his years. I don't think I'd appreciate the more philosophical nature of the book, not I did enjoy reading your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

This sounds like such an insightful and fun story. I love the incorporation of birds, insects, and animals into the story through Simon's eyes. Thank you for sharing.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
~Oscar Wilde
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

I would definitely read this book. I have certain views and beliefs that could be enhanced by the child. I love how conndcted to the book you sound in the review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Simon sounds like an intriguing character. I had to smile at this comment: "Simon's goals are threatened with the possibility of attending school." Structured education get in the way of real learning! Thanks for your compelling review of this book.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

I love natue. The of story is good. I think Simon is quite mature for his age. It seem like a fun book. Will live to read

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”