Official Review: In Quest of Creativity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: In Quest of Creativity

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In Quest of Creativity" by Sukur Khan, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Quest of Creativity by Sukur Khan, Ph.D. is an enlightening story about the struggles and triumphs of two friends living with Alzheimer’s disease. Maddie and Hank worked together as scientists but lost touch as they aged. Reunited in their eighties, they realize they have more in common now than ever as they each become aware of the progression of dementia in their minds. Although the Alzheimer’s disconnects them from their past, they each have their own ways of remaining tied to the present. The book follows Hank, Maddie, and their friends as they relearn how to live inside their own minds.

I could tell from the first page that the author was deeply connected to the themes presented in this story. He unashamedly begins the book with a description of his own fight with Alzheimer’s disease, and you can tell as a reader that he presents many of his own emotions and experiences through his protagonist, Hank. I enjoyed the scientific information he integrated into the story, and I appreciated that he showed the full experience of an Alzheimer’s patient from Hank’s suspicion of his problem to his diagnosis, treatment, and coping mechanisms.

Hank is a well-rounded character who feels his emotions intensely and chooses to live his life fully in spite of his illness. I couldn’t keep myself from rooting for him throughout the story even though I knew the disease could only be delayed, not stopped. I welcomed all his emotional highs and lows from the frustration he felt when he could feel the Alzheimer’s taking over his mind to the elation he experienced when he realized that he could still live an independent life.

Although I connected with the characters, the story itself was constructed oddly, and I struggled to follow the plot at times. Although the book mostly contains third-person narration, the author occasionally strays into using first-person or second-person narration, which is confusing for the reader. It was hard to tell if this was meant to be a story to enjoy, an informational narrative, or a personal memoir. I believe that, with some editing, it could be a cohesive combination of the three. It certainly needs the help of a quality editor to fix grammatical errors, remove repeated thoughts and events, and make the story flow better, but the author’s passion should carry the heart of the story through these cosmetic changes.

Overall, I would give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the characters, and it’s clear the author is well-informed about this subject. I believe he has something to say that is worth hearing, but many sections of the book don’t fit in terms of style or narration. I believe people who are struggling with Alzheimer’s, caring for family with memory impairment, or are simply curious about the inner life of Alzheimer’s patients would enjoy this book, but those who are frustrated by a lack of cohesion and continuity in a story may want to wait for another round of editing to take place before they give this book a try.

In Quest of Creativity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

It is a little sad when a book with such an important theme and a wealth of information, is diminished by bad editing. Hopefully, this book gets some professional editing. It sounds very impactful.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

I have heard of the term Alzheimer but I have not done research to understand it..I think this book will be very informative as you mentioned that the author offers scientic information and personal experiences. Great review ,too bad this book got 2 stars
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oh wow! I admire the author so for writing about something that he is struggling with. It's admirable at the very least. It sounds like if he worked with an editor, he could clear some of these issues up. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

LeeleeByoma wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 06:37 It is a little sad when a book with such an important theme and a wealth of information, is diminished by bad editing. Hopefully, this book gets some professional editing. It sounds very impactful.
I was genuinely upset at having to give the book this score, but the editing was, unfortunately, that bad. Hopefully the author will hire a professional editor so more people will be able to hear his message.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many people could benefit from these stories. It helps them learn more about this disease and how to handle it with family members that begin manifesting symptoms of AD. The lack of cohesion is a weakness, but there is still much to be learned from those who have already traveled this road. Thanks for your review.
AnGh7504
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AnGh7504 »

Perhaps what seems as poor editing and errors could the the Author's way of showing the confusion and skewed sense of reality and identity that comes with the disease? However, if it was interpreted only as errors and not deliberate on the Author's part, then it was a poorly executed technique at best.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I beleive this is one of the few books that address the issue of Alzheimer in a fiction way. As much as it is a serious issue in the society today, I appreciate the author's effort in presenting it in a way that is relatable. It is informative and eye opening. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”