Official Review: Nikolai Delov by James Dante

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Nikolai Delov by James Dante

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nikolai Delov" by James Dante.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in Moscow, Nikolai Delov, by James Dante, tells the story of a forty-eight-year-old Russian businessman. From an impoverished family, Nikolai, his father, and brother Anatoly started a transportation company “not long after the disbanding of the Communist Party and the Soviet Union.” In a couple of decades, they became millionaires.

The story, told in the third person, portrays Nikolai as an all-around good guy. He is the father of Valentin and Sofia, children of his first marriage, and makes it a point to cater to their every wish. Nikolai’s antagonist – Vladimir Konstantinov – is an unscrupulous, sordid man who longs to see Europe ruled by bearded mullahs and America owned by the Chinese. Vladimir is involved with the sexual exploration and trafficking of girls, in direct opposition to Nikolai’s girlfriend Inessa, who rescues and rehabilitates abused young women. This antagonism results in various intrigues around which the plot revolves.

The novel is at once a thriller and a love story – it is a melodrama of sorts. Conflict, in the form of a clear opposition of a good guy and a bad one, is the central feature of Nikolai Delov. The clash of opposing moral values, political ideas, and world views gets brilliantly woven into the plot. Nikolai and Vladimir’s characters were well-developed and textured, but Inessa needed a little more depth, in my opinion.

An aspect I particularly liked was the sharp-witted tone the narrator uses to describe Russian society. For instance, the following subtle, witty remark about industrialists: “The only times they worried about the possible redistribution of wealth were whenever they left their Bentleys unattended on the poorly lit streets at night.” And how, despite his fortune, Nikolai had “never shaken off his proletarian taste in food.” The author gives readers a nuanced view of Russian culture and some of its dilemmas.

On the other hand, I felt that the chemistry between Nikolai and Inessa could have been more charming and less explicit. The erotic passages were a bit cheesy and overdone, in my opinion. I believe the book would be better if they were toned down.

Lastly, I rate Nikolai Delov 3 out of 4 stars. It is a well-edited book; I didn’t find any errors in it. I am taking a star away because I thought the book would be better if the romantic parts were more charmingly depicted. I believe the book will appeal to readers who are fond of drama with a touch of crime and romance. Those who are bothered by strong language might not like it.

Nikolai Delov
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Romance sounds good to me, I might want to read this if given the chance, Great review!
Gior
Favorite Book: The Lightening Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gior.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Gior »

Great review, I think I may read this.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Thanks for the great review! I also find it annoying when the love scenes are over done and cheesy!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Thanks for the review. You did a great job. I was actually attracted to the name Nikolai.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Great review! I have the same opinion on love scenes when they are overdone... it really can detract. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the way your set up the family situation of Nikolia and Inessa and their opposition to Vladimir and his 'business'. A thriller and a love story is an intriguing mix. Thanks for this fascinating recommendation!
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

I felt the same way about the sensual scenes in this novel and I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Pekka7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Pekka7 »

This is a really good review. But there are no good guys in the 90th in Russia. This an author attempt to free from his past. All enormous wealth are made by dishonest labor.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

Politics, world views, wit, strong language; sounds like my cup of tea! Nice review.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Pekka7 wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 13:14 This is a really good review. But there are no good guys in the 90th in Russia. This an author attempt to free from his past. All enormous wealth are made by dishonest labor.
That was my thought exactly when I read it. I was a child in a post-Soviet country, and sure enough, if you became this kind of wealthy, it was by doing something criminal.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I liked your review. Seems like the book has well-developed characters and a witty style of writing. But I was a bit puzzled as to what the main conflict of the story was. Was it the love triangle, or something related to human trafficking?
And even if there were no good super-wealthy guys in post-Soviet Rusia and other post-Soviet countries, I could overlook that flaw of the book, if the story is good, and according to your review - it is. I think I am going to give it a try.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”