Official Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
jessinikkip
2019 Reading Goal: 9
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino

Post by jessinikkip » 21 Jun 2019, 01:15

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Misery Loves Company" by Paul Marino.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino was nothing like what I expected when I read the description. I have always been a big fan of Greek myths and legends, so I was excited to see that the blurb called it a "Beatnik's take on the Orpheus myth". However, the book ended up unrelated to the Orpheus myth and was something that I didn't enjoy.

In the myth of the hero Orpheus, the title character experiences the tragic death of his wife. Unable to bear being without her, he goes to the Underworld to ask Hades to release her. He plays music for Hades, who agrees to let her go, on one condition. If Orpheus can make it back to land without looking back, then his wife will live. However, if Orpheus looks back before they are both free, then he will lose her forever.

I don't feel that Misery Loves Company is related to the myth of Orpheus at all. In this book, it begins with the character talking about how a coworker found something online that they thought was a joke. After a few pages, the reader finds that this is a group called Serial Killer Anonymous, where local killers meet weekly to overcome their addiction to murder. The members include a man with a mustache, identical twins, a Native American chief in full war paint and headdress, and a redhead in a Hawaiian shirt. They spend their meetings talking about their crimes, like the Coat Hanger Man, who gains his name from killing prostitutes with a straightened metal coat hanger. Through the book, one of the crimes of the main character is detailed as he kills a woman with chloroform. It turns out that the Serial Killer's Anonymous is all a front for a scam and it leads to the death of one of the characters as the chief reveals how he got his name. I tried to avoid giving any spoilers away about the ending!

There were some grammar errors in the book. Since the book was only 27 pages long, I expected it to be edited much better than it was. On page 1 there is an error where the main character is talking about the members of the group. The sentence is " Across from some with a pencil thin mustache..." but it should use the word someone in that sentence. I also noticed that the author heavily relied on partial sentences. Some examples just from page 1 are: "Found it hilarious." "In through the back entrance." "Through the kitchen." These partial sentences can make it hard to follow along with what is going on and really made me wish for more detail. Also, on pages 26 to 27, there are about four paragraphs dealing with the chief that repeat, almost word for word like they have been copied and pasted into the book. However, these paragraphs shouldn't repeat.

I rate Misery Loves Company 1 out of 4 stars. This is due to the need for more edits and because of how different the book was from the description. This book wasn't one that I enjoyed. I feel that with more edits and more descriptions, it could be improved. A lot of quality was sacrificed to make this book so short. I would recommend this only for adults because there is a lot of mention of prostitutes, murder and genitals in this book.

Misery Loves Company
View: on Bookshelves

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 23 Jun 2019, 17:31

Well, the summary definitely doesn't sound like the Greek myth at all. Descriptions are so important in order to get the correct audience. Hopefully the author can refine this one. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Shadiid » 23 Jun 2019, 17:43

I think you are right. Misery loves company is not related to myth of orpheus at all. The only relation they have is death but I do not think that is enough to link them because they differ in so many 'obvious' ways.

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wyland » 24 Jun 2019, 05:16

Too bad the book has no connection with Orpheus' tale. Probably meant to promote the book. Thanks for your sincere comments on the book.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Shortcuts by T.L. Criswell

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 24 Jun 2019, 05:30

That's too bad that the book wasn't what you expected. Perhaps with another round of editing it may get a higher rating. Thanks for the honest review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Meg98 » 24 Jun 2019, 10:06

This definitely does not sound like it connects with the theme of the myth of Orpheus! It is a shame that the author's description was misleading. It seems like this book has missed the mark on most of the key elements of a good read. I'm going to pass on this one... Thank you for this great and honest review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Nivi Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: If you looked at me... by Wanda Remmers

Post by Nivi Gideon » 24 Jun 2019, 11:53

I find it terrible too when I start a book and find out it isn't what it claims to be. Orpheus is probably my most favorite myth and I'm happy I didn't begin this one with the same thought in mind.

LeeleeByoma
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Lost and Love: Thailand
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by LeeleeByoma » 26 Jun 2019, 15:07

Those are a lot of errors for twenty-seven pages, coupled with a misleading description. I am curious about how the story ends, but I don't believe I can cope with that many errors.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”