Official Review: Cowboys to Camelot by Mary Kay Leatherman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Official Review: Cowboys to Camelot by Mary Kay Leatherman

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cowboys to Camelot" by Mary Kay Leatherman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Annie Day is an American literature teacher at Belmont High School. She just thought her world was complicated when her philandering husband left her for one of her ex-friends. Now she is being kissed by a cowboy ghost named George. At night, when she and her son (Oliver) are trying to sleep, she is kept awake by yet another ghost (that frequents her attic).

Annie’s divorce and ghost dramas soon become the least of her worries when the school’s varsity football team discovers a human skull on their practice field. It isn’t long before another human bone (this time a femur) appears on the school campus. Amid the mystery of the bones, Annie receives a series of threatening notes. Who is sending these bones and why? What secret lies behind the bones? And, when Annie tracks down who sent the notes, will she put herself in danger?

Most of Cowboys to Camelot was narrated by our protagonist, Annie. As a single mom, left by her cheating husband, Annie was relatable, honest, and witty. She was portrayed as someone that you will immediately adore and want for a best friend. Her nurturing skills toward her young son, Oliver (Ollie) were endearing. Additionally, some of the chapters were narrated by her father, as a young boy of six or seven. Fortunately, the chapters and changes were delineated by the author, making it easy for the reader to follow along.

I enjoyed the author’s command of the English language and grammar. In reading the description of the book, I learned that the author majored in English and then taught English and creative writing to high school students. So, it is not surprising that the novel was well edited. I loved how she humorously injected her evaluations on someone’s grammar skills (or lack thereof) into her story.

As a reviewer, I also appreciated her classroom discussions of literary devices, including alliteration, similes, and euphemisms. The author presented several examples of these devices during one of her many American Literature classes.

While her American Literature classes were informative, they became a bit too frequent and lengthy for me. Many times these classes seemed to interfere with the plot and slow the pace of the story. Given the reasons listed above, I award Cowboys to Camelot by Mary Kay Leatherman 3 out of 4 stars. If the author would remove some of the classroom detail, so that the story continues to move at its original quick pace, the novel would easily garner all four stars.

This story will appeal to single moms (you will love Annie’s spunk!). Also, teachers (especially those who teach English or American Literature), and readers who enjoy romance and mystery genres will like this book. This read may not appeal to those who are not fans of these particular genres. Since this story does not include gruesome details, coarse language, or graphic scenes, the book will also appeal to some young adults. I am pleased to recommend this novel, as readers will enjoy watching Annie’s story unfold and merge with some of her Dad’s recollections.

Cowboys to Camelot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluebird03's review? Post a comment saying so!
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

As compelling as it sounds, I would love to see more of this read. Thank you!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It seems to be a pretty complicated plot. With the classes being too long, I can see how it would slow it down. Did all the subplots tie in well towards the end? Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 08:37 As compelling as it sounds, I would love to see more of this read. Thank you!
I think you would love reading this one! Thank you for commenting. :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Letora wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 09:04 It seems to be a pretty complicated plot. With the classes being too long, I can see how it would slow it down. Did all the subplots tie in well towards the end? Thank you for reviewing!
Yes, all the plots came together neatly in the end (thank you for asking!). I think that the author has such a passion about grammar and literature, that she just included a little bit too much in this story for readers to stay with the plot. Thank you so much for your comments! :)
phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by phills »

Cowboys to Camelot" by Mary Kay Leatherman.
This short story expresses the life of a woman with a good heart but facing material challenges from a cruel husband.. It unveils the situation of her life been devastated because of her cruel husband
I think I like the story and would love to read the full copy
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The mixture of the bones and ghosts sounds interesting. Annie's situation is intriguing. I also enjoyed your insightful comments about the classroom-type parts of the story. This looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

phills wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 16:57 Cowboys to Camelot" by Mary Kay Leatherman.
This short story expresses the life of a woman with a good heart but facing material challenges from a cruel husband.. It unveils the situation of her life been devastated because of her cruel husband
I think I like the story and would love to read the full copy
Thankfully she was able to move past her first marriage and do an excellent job of providing for herself and her son. I think you will enjoy her story. Thank you for reading my review and commenting!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

kdstrack wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 18:10 The mixture of the bones and ghosts sounds interesting. Annie's situation is intriguing. I also enjoyed your insightful comments about the classroom-type parts of the story. This looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thank you, kdstrack, for reading my review and for your very kind comments!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a solid mystical drama even despite some lengthy grammar and literature classes :) I would love to check this one out, amazing review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Ellylion wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 08:34 Sounds like a solid mystical drama even despite some lengthy grammar and literature classes :) I would love to check this one out, amazing review!
It was very enjoyable once I stepped out of a few of the classrooms :) Thank you so much, Ellylion!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”