Official Review: Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver" by R.C. Otovic.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Q: Snippets from a Rideshare Driver by R.T. Otovic takes a look at one man’s job as a rideshare driver. It can be categorized as biographical fiction and is loosely based on the author’s experiences. After working in various jobs in the transportation industry, Boston native C.D. Howell becomes a rideshare driver at Tampa Bay International Airport. The story focuses on his reminiscences of quirky passengers and the downtime spent with other drivers in the cellphone parking lot. There are also recommendations for improvements, such as mandatory vehicle inspections every ninety days.

Ridesharing is similar to taking a taxi; the key difference is multiple people can share a ride to their respective destinations. The “Q” is an abbreviation for a queue. In this case, rideshare drivers “get in line” through a cellphone app and wait their turn for passengers. By ending each chapter with a random Q number, the author gives an effective reminder of what it’s like to wait in the parking lot between rides.

The parking lot becomes a living room of sorts, as the drivers relax between rides. The imagery is clear of the group playing cards on the back of a car while regaling each other with funny stories. Each driver’s backstory is fleshed out well. It’s interesting that some people prefer being a rideshare driver vs. working in an office. For example, attorney Mathieu quit his job at a law firm to become a rideshare driver, and he loves his new profession.

I thoroughly enjoyed this witty, well-written book. I laughed out loud when one passenger, Frank, called to ask if C.D. was driving a Toyota Corolla with an “f--ing piece of sh-- Red Sox sticker on the back.” When entering the vehicle, Frank admitted he was a New Yorker; it can be assumed he was a Yankees fan.

C.D.’s warm, down-to-earth personality is the heart of this story and gives it a special sparkle. I felt like he was an old friend telling me about his day at the “office.” There is a repetitive feel at times, with a frequent request to raise your hand if you can relate to the person or situation being described. Still, the stream of entertaining anecdotes gave me a clear sense of what it’s like to be a rideshare driver.

Each account of a passenger or fellow driver contains interesting details and realistic dialogue. Although the story is slow paced at times, the anecdotes are absorbing and humorous.

This book has earned a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I giggled throughout this light-hearted story and learned a lot about this profession. It’s clear the book was carefully edited, as I spotted only two minor errors. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy memoirs and like getting an up-close view of an occupation. In particular, the story would likely appeal to frequent flyers and taxi/rideshare drivers. I look forward to reading future books by this talented author.

Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have always imagined that any kind of driver like that would see and hear any number of interesting (and perhaps undesirable) things. This sounds like an enjoyable enough read, and I am curious as to what all the author shares with his reader. Thanks so much for another engaging review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kandscreeley! The author's amiable personality really shines through in this book, which is loosely based on his real-life experiences.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This is a really interesting premise for a book, and it sounds like the story is quite engaging. Thanks for the recommendation.
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

I always enjoy drilling my uber driver's for interesting stories, so this sounds like a fun read!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The book cover and title drew me in and your review really sold it. Thanks for sharing. I love books that have a it of focus on characters.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a unique theme for a book! This is a growing business and the author's experiences sound quite interesting. I like how you describe the camaraderie that develops between the drivers. Great review. Thanks!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

With ridesharing so popular these days, it would be interesting to read a book based on it. I imagine every new passenger has a whole new story to tell. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

This book sounds right up my alley. I love to read a book about people who don’t know I know about them. LOL! What a great review!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I have a relative who drives for Uber part time. I think he would enjoy this humorous, mostly true, book. Thank you for your recommendation.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an interesting profession. I am glad that I read this review and thus I can now consider reading the book as well. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”