Official Review: The Vagabond by Pompeo Graniglia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: The Vagabond by Pompeo Graniglia

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Vagabond" by Pompeo Graniglia.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Avril was a very successful entrepreneur. She spent every minute of her adult life making new connections and driving her business to more success. In the process of climbing the social ladder, she dropped everything that seemed to hinder her from achieving her goals. Sadly, she had no time for her daughter, Sylvie, who lived with her father, Dan. Her life changed when she got a wake-up call in the form of a brain tumor.

When the first chapter of the book opens, the reader meets a very enthusiastic Avril on her way to New York from Los Angeles. On arriving at the airport, Julie (her executive assistant) informs her that her personal doctor, Dr. Adams, needed to see her immediately. Consequently, she boards another plane to go to Dr. Adams back in Los Angeles. Her migraines kick in once she takes her seat in the economy class (she always traveled in the first class section). Her seatmate, Donte, begins to chat with her against her will. He piques her interest when he hands her a stone that is supposed to cure her migraines. That becomes the beginning of a bitter-sweet relationship, which progresses even after Dr. Adams tells her that she is terminally ill.

The author, Pompeo Graniglia, could not have chosen a better title for the novel. I was not sure about the direction the book would take when I first picked it. The Vagabond provides a very interesting tale about Avril and her newly found friend and guru, Donte. Do you believe in coincidences or miracles? Donte seemed to have been sent from heaven to lead Avril to the path of peace and harmony. Whenever Avril was lonely and hopeless, Donte always showed up and helped her with her struggles. For instance, Lorna (one of Avril’s friends) organized a charity event to help the homeless. To avoid being alone at home, Avril insisted on attending the party during a time when she would rather be in the company of her friends only. While Lorna was busy attending to her guests, Avril chose to have a drink by herself in a less crowded area. She could not believe it when she found that Donte was at the point where she chose to sit. Didn’t he have other things to attend to? Could God be the Vagabond or was Donte the Vagabond?

The Vagabond teaches people the importance of self-awareness. Graniglia chose to use Avril’s hopeless situation to teach his audience how to live in peace and harmony. Donte selflessly helped Avril to see the light at the end of the tunnel in her situation. With his guidance, Avril gives her life a new meaning and strives to keep the things that are most important in life. For instance, she began reaching out to her daughter after many years of being far away from her.

The novel is written in the first person and in the present tense. I could not imagine reading a book written in the present tense from the beginning to the end. I later understood the author’s motive in choosing to use it. Donte told Avril to take responsibility for everything that happens in her life and not to feel guilty about her past because “guilt and judgment are usually spoken in the third person, with a setting in the past or the future. He did that, she should have done this, it could have been different. Responsibility is always in the first person, and set in the present.” The author hopes that the reader could follow the principle and make his/her life better.

Sadly, it seems that the book was not professionally edited. It contains many grammatical mistakes that can easily distract a reader from enjoying the book. A round of thorough editing should make the book perfect. Consequently, I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who needs a helping hand in understanding the meaning of life and how to overcome the hurdles of life.

The Vagabond
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This is an interesting premise for a story! I like that the main message is to find peace in one's life. Nowadays people are under the impression that life is about running from one thing to the next, but it is really the journey that matters. Thanks for a great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The idea of why things happen that seem too strange to be coincidental is intriguing. The author touches the emotions with the tumor and the strange appearance of Donte. This looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This is a unique and interesting storyline, and I am intrigued. It is a shame about the editing. All it requires is one more round of proofreading before being published. I still will check this one out, as I love these kinds of stories. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the role Donte plays in Avril's life. He plays the role of a guardian to her. Thanks for the review.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I think this is a timely story. Nowadays, most of the people are business oriented. Not only do they not have time for their loved ones, but also they don't have enough time for themselves either. Therefore, I think this will be a great book. So, thanks for the insightful review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I don't know how I'll fell reading a whole novel in the present tense, but I understand the reasons behind it.
I believe much of the things we attribute to happenstance or coincidence happen for a reason. But whatever our beliefs are, we could all use a reminder to be more self-aware and take responsibility for our inner peace and what we give out to humanity. Unfortunately, sometimes, it takes things like a tumor to make us reconsider our stance in life and our priorities.
I'll definitely read this novel. Thank you for your compelling review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sometimes life hits in ways that no one expects and it sounds like that's exactly what happened to Avril. Donte sounds too good to be true though.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

This book is an interesting way for the author to encourage readers to be in the present and take responsibility for their lives, as the book was written in the present tense. Avril, upon finding out she has a brain tumor, meets Donte, who seems to be there for her when Avril is lonely, hopeless, and struggles with her life. He helps Avril find peace and harmony.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”