Official Review: Surf and Sand by W. B. Edwards

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Surf and Sand by W. B. Edwards

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surf and Sand" by W. B. Edwards.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surf and Sand: The Girl in the Seaside Hotel by W.B. Edwards is a mystery set in Southern California. Mary Nell, a twelve-year-old girl, moves to a dilapidated ocean-front hotel with her brother and mother in 1959. New to the area and with no friends other than Lonnie, her brother, Mary Nell spends her days swimming alone in the old motel pool. When she learns about the disappearance of a young actress twenty years ago, who was last seen near the motel pool, Mary Nell is determined to solve the case. The mystery becomes even more important to Mary Nell when she learns of a connection between her family and Irene, the missing actress.

Edwards deftly aligns the two plotlines, shifting smoothly between Irene’s story in 1938 and Mary Nell’s investigation in 1959, creating one cohesive story. Moreover, there is an interesting juxtaposition between the characters from the past and their present personas, like Mary Nell’s mother, who plays an important role in both storylines. The concurrent storytelling led to some believable red herrings, which ultimately made for a very exciting mystery.

The characterization was also engaging, especially that of the younger characters. Mary Nell’s character was by far the most developed and the most interesting. Reminiscent of Scout from Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird, the protagonist is a bit of a loner, endlessly curious, and clever beyond her years. The author masterfully creates a believable and likable character, foregoing the typical tropes. Similarly, Mary Nell’s older brother, Lonnie, has a realistic relationship with his younger sister; one that is strained by his new teenage-boy interests.

In addition to the expert plotting and enjoyable protagonist, Edwards writes an engrossing and unique setting: The Surf and Sand Motel. Located on the shore in southern California, the motel is the perfect setting for both a cold-case mystery and a curious young girl. The setting oozes old-fashioned Hollywood glamour, but the decaying building and outdated interiors are described in a most unsettling way, aligning perfectly with the mysteries at the heart of this story.

However, the storytelling is clumsy in places. For instance, when Mary Nell makes a connection between her mother and the cold case, the reveal is quick and lackluster, and the young girl’s reaction is blasé at best. There are also a few subplots that didn’t live up to their potential, like the strained relationship between Mary Nell and her father. Further, the manuscript needs to be professionally edited. I noted numerous errors, like improper capitalization, missing apostrophes, and missing words.

I thoroughly enjoyed Surf and Sand. Although the editing wasn’t perfect, and the storytelling could use some energizing in certain places, the mystery was engaging, the characters were realistic, and I found the book difficult to put down. If not for the editorial issues, I would happily rate this book four stars. However, in its current state, Surf and Sand earns 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy mysteries that lean more towards the literary genre will enjoy this well-constructed story.

Surf and Sand
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Radiant3 »

It still sounds like a good mystery novel even though there are editing issues. Thank you for the thorough review.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

I really like the sound of this book. But it's too bad about the reveal being disappointing. Thanks for the review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an intriguing book that definitely has me interested. Thank you for a wonderful review!
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

I have to admit crime at a motel seems mysterious and captivating. Young and reckless - call it fearless - investigators are a plus to the action. Thank you for your well-done review.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Another mystery novel to read..Great review.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I love mysteries. This one sounds good. I'm glad to hear that the author pulled the plot lines from the two characters together nicely. Thanks for an awesome review.
Agyneszz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Agyneszz »

The plot is good but it lacks fascination. The characters are displaced, no explanatory connection. Well, anyways, it's a mystery and I think the author planned it this way to make the readers oblivious to how the story will end. Thanks for the review.
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

The mystery and the setting really hit the mark for me! If anything is comparable to Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird, I want to read it. Thanks for a great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like an engaging read with well developed characters and interesting relationships between them. The similarities to Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird really caught my attention :). I would definitely give this book a try. Thank you for this great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm really curious as to what happened to this actress and what the connection is between the two families. It sounds interesting, but the reveals could have been more suspenseful. Thanks for introducing us to this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

The main character, Mary Nell's attempt to investigate the disappearance of Irene years back at the motel's pool has made the story more misterous. One would like to follow the book to the end to know how she was able to solve the mystery.
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

Mary Nell at twelve to try to solve a cold case, to me she is the mistery herself in this book. One would like to read the book through to know how the story ended. Your review is a good guide.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love cold case mysteries and this one looks like it is well written. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I want to read this one.
FariDa Arif
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farida-arif.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by FariDa Arif »

Basically,a mistery but full of suspence.Hats off for the author for linking past and present joining two stories side by side and then inter relating them.Very difficult thing to do.I would certainly like to read it.Good review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”