Official Review: THE HOLIDAY PARTY (A Tale of a Corporate...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: THE HOLIDAY PARTY (A Tale of a Corporate...

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "THE HOLIDAY PARTY (A Tale of a Corporate Takeover)" by Richard Wanderer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Holiday Party (A Tale of a Corporate Takeover), by Richard Wanderer, is a fictional suspense novel set in New York, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles. The story was inspired by the author’s personal experience of facing a corporate takeover.

When Ballard Media Group, a media conglomerate, takes over Gladstone Publishing Company, a family-owned magazine company, the Gladstone employees suddenly find themselves under tyrannical rule. Daniel Davenport, an executive with the Ballard Media Group, sees it as a perfect opportunity for him to take over Gladstone Publishing Company as personal property. He enlists the help of Barbara, a fellow Wiccan coven member, to aid him in his plot for glory; however, Barbara has her own shady agenda. They won’t let anyone get in the way of their success, even if it means getting rid of all of the old employees. As Gladstone slowly starts to deteriorate, Forest Green, one of the few old employees left, is determined to set things straight and keep Gladstone from being run into the ground.

Reading this book was like being on a rollercoaster ride. The anticipation that built up between each scene kept me on the edge of my seat. Even after the climax of the story, I could feel my curiosity growing as each scene kept up its suspense. Moreover, the intricate plotline, as well as a few suspenseful scenes, kept me engaged in the book. The author’s inclusion of the Wiccan religion added a sense of secrecy and mystery as well.

Not only was the plot suspenseful, but the characters were well developed and dynamic. What I like the most about this book was how the author used the interactions and conflicts between the characters to show their personality. For example, Forest tries to be polite when communicating with his co-workers, Calista and Duko, but their emails and phone calls to each other are anything but pleasant. The greed and callousness of characters like Barbara shocked me and made me glad that I don’t work under someone like her. Also, some of the secondary characters seemed flat, but all were integral to the story.

The author states that he has worked in an advertising department, and this is apparent whenever the book goes into specific descriptions of what a publishing or advertising company does. I have absolutely no background on advertising, so I found it helpful that the author was able to incorporate a few explanations on what some of the advertising/publishing terminologies meant.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The suspenseful plot and the dynamic characters made this book an engaging read. There were a few grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, but they did not detract from the book. I recommend it to those who like reading suspenseful fictional novels.

THE HOLIDAY PARTY (A Tale of a Corporate Takeover)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

This sounds so intriguing since the author used his personal experience, I love to have this book.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Well, THE HOLIDAY PARTY seems like a must read. The story also seems like a true to life kind. Thank you for such an insightful review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This sounds like a well-done book. I like the little man vs. the big business plotline. I'll have to keep this one in mind. Thanks for your excellent review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds fabulous! I love that it's so suspenseful, but the characters are so enjoyable, too. It sound well-written. Now I'm bummed I didn't pick it up for review. Thanks for the great information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

The book sounds interesting and captivating, especially the Wiccan part. Thanks for the review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an intriguing novel, and I'm sure I would enjoy it. I will have to add it to my list of books to read. Thanks for the wonderful review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The excellent reading that keeps you intrigued even after the climax has been revealed shines a positive light on the author's writing style. I also like that the plot is based on true events. This looks good. Thanks.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”