Official Review: Masterminders by Tara Basi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Masterminders by Tara Basi

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Masterminders" by Tara Basi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dry humor teams up with a series of atrocious characters in Tara Basi’s satirical novel, Masterminders. Set on a small island off Britain’s mainland, the storyline revolves around Terry and Bobby, two schoolboys who intelligently try to tackle a range of issues that affect them. Dubbed the 'Masterminders', the duo embarks on a succession of dodgy plans cooked up by quick-thinking Bobby as they comically try to solve women’s problems, contend with bullies on the playground, and even try to thwart the snowy weather by attempting to instigate global warming. The boys also rope in some of the island’s other residents to aid in their hilarious schemes such as the business-savvy Mr. Singh who is the owner of the Post Office cum Sweet and Chips Emporium. Apart from the boys’ funny shenanigans, they both face crippling family problems as Bobby’s dad is terminally ill and Terry’s mom is fighting a custody battle while working three jobs. The story is written from Terry’s often flummoxed and naive perspective, but this gives readers a genuine insight into life’s intangible truths like friendships, infatuation, poverty, death, and the challenges of growing up.

Very few books have ever made me laugh aloud, but this one certainly did. The deadpan humor was startling and childish in some cases, but it was still extremely enjoyable. For instance, the boys’ homemade women’s perfume (consisting of ewe’s colon, and a tin of curry powder) was a disgusting outrage to females everywhere, but the concoction was strangely powerful enough to dissolve layers of seagull poop from the butcher’s car! Another time, the boys pretended to be exceedingly religious so they could attract the girls they fancied, one of whom was a novice nun. I kept wondering about what funny scheme the boys’ would embark on next. I was not disappointed as each chapter provided me with more than enough literary amusement to keep me interested.

Aside from the comedic descriptions of the boys’ escapades, the characters in this book were shining gems of entertainment. Each one had distinct personalities and attributes which made them a joy to read about. The Indian culture in the book was attributed to Mr. Singh and his relatives. Bhangra music, Indian food, head waggling, saris, and volatile Indian women like Mummy-ji and Dimple added a touch of oriental spice to the book. One character, Mr. Dicklightly, was disturbingly funny. He seemed to be mildly paedophilic, but his antics were hilarious, such as when he read sensual scenes aloud (while naked) for public amusement and charity. Terry’s character was also admirable. His naivety, good-heartedness, and his naturally baffled nature were charming.

However, the thing which I really admired was the author’s ability to incorporate serious issues into the plot. Although the book was predominantly humorous, snippets of the boys’ backstories were present throughout it. I felt sad when I learned of Bobby’s sick father and the poverty that Terry’s mother was facing. At first, these were not made known directly, but their struggles were described in fleeting conversations, body language, and brief descriptions. These issues gave the book depth. It also made the plot more realistic and emotionally-moving.

There was nothing I disliked about this novel. It deserves 4 out of 4 stars for its witty humor, its memorable characters, and the characters' touching backstories. Furthermore, I think the book was edited fully because I had to try very hard to spot any errors. This book will appeal to a wide age group from older teens to elderly fans of humor and satire. It may not be suitable for younger audiences because it contains sexual innuendos.

Masterminders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read other novels by Tara Basi. She's a great author. This sounds like another of her great works. I love that it incorporates humor; I really am going to have to pick it up. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Humour and great characters!? I'm in. Awesome review!
Spencer Mack
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! Makes me want to read this book right now...Thanks for sharing.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Wonderful! Pure craziness seems to be in abundance here ,yet the author weaves in some tragic facts.This is a great review,thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love books that are mostly humorous, but have an underlying serious side to it, as well. I will have to add this one to my list of books to read. Great review!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I like the fact that the book, though holding themes like poverty, death, and the challenges of growing up, is fun to read. Thanks for a great review.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

This sounds like a laugh. Definitely a more light hearted read. Thanks for the review! :tiphat:
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Radiant3 »

The story seems to have the right combination of humour and fun, with some serious aspects. This should be a great book to read. Very thorough review.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Radiant3 wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 11:45 The story seems to have the right combination of humour and fun, with some serious aspects. This should be a great book to read. Very thorough review.
Thank you!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Prisallen wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 15:56 I love books that are mostly humorous, but have an underlying serious side to it, as well. I will have to add this one to my list of books to read. Great review!
You'll definitely enjoy this book Prisallen! Thanks for stopping by to add a comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book sounds quite entertaining! I like how the boys always have great intentions, but end up getting themselves into tricky situations. I had to laugh at the perfume situation; as foul-smelling as it was, it proved to be a great cleaning concoction. Great review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story chronicling the escapades of two young kids at their Catholic school sounds entertaining. Witty humor, memorable characters, and powerful themes make this a worthy read. That it was well edited is another plus. Well done to the author for managing to incorporate serious themes into the humorous plot. I am not fond of satire, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

After reading a fee pages of the sample, I just couldn't get into the book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I am a big fan of satirical books and this one did not disappoint in the least. Another excellent book by Tara Basi, coupled with an amazingly inciteful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”