Official Review: No Romance Allowed by Kana Wu

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: No Romance Allowed by Kana Wu

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Romance Allowed" by Kana Wu.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rory has a two-bedroom condo in southern California that is fairly expensive. She was able to afford it previously because Lizzy, her roommate, was sharing the expenses with her. Unfortunately, Lizzy has now moved out, and Rory needs to find another female to take her place. After seeking someone for several months, she is finally contacted by Jane, who is coming to the area for work for her family business and has agreed to pay for six months of rent upfront. Rory agrees.

On the day that Jane is to come, Peter shows up instead, claiming to be her brother. After contacting Jane, Rory discovers she is ill and just underwent surgery, and her brother was sent to replace her in the family business. Peter asks if he can stay in the apartment in lieu of Jane. Since she desperately requires the money, Rory agrees after he signs a roommate agreement, which states, among other things, that there is to be no romance between them. However, her decision to let him move in will have unforeseen consequences as there is more to his story than she realizes. In addition, Rory has a male coworker who had requested to rent the room. She had informed him she was searching for a female. If he finds out it has been rented to a man, how will he accept the news?

No Romance Allowed by Kana Wu is a 314-page romance novel with a touch of mystery and suspense. It is narrated from Rory’s first-person perspective. The descriptive prose is easy to understand, and the dialogues are believable. All the pertinent questions are answered by the end.

Rory’s superb character development is my favorite part of the tale. One can sense her anxiety about finding someone to rent the place before her money runs out, her frustrations with having to work with a horrendous boss, her slowly developing love for Peter, and her anger and depression when things don’t go the way they should. We also grow to admire Peter as well and pull for their relationship.

No sex was encountered in the story other than a few kisses. I appreciate this as I prefer being drawn into the romance with the psychological aspect. In addition, no definite profanities were seen; however, there were a few borderline ones.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of negative points. First, the beginning was a little slow for my taste and represented my least favorite aspect of the book. Although I wasn’t bored, I found myself wanting to get to the heart of the story. About half-way through, the action improved, and the book was difficult to put down from there on out.

In addition, I encountered several minor grammatical errors, which weren’t distracting. However, there were a few too many to ignore. It could use another round of editing.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this light romance novel. Therefore, it achieves a rating of three out of four stars. One star was removed due to the slow beginning and the errors. Readers who enjoy romance novels with a touch of suspense will appreciate this book. I recommend it for young female adults especially. Because of the lack of sex and definite profanity, it would be appropriate for sensitive readers. If you prefer action-packed novels, then you might want to look elsewhere.

No Romance Allowed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

This sounds like a fun weekend read! Thank you for the honest review!
almeidabel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almeidabel.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by almeidabel »

sounds really great, i love romances! great review.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

This is definitely something I would read as a light-hearted diversion from a hectic week. Thanks for an enjoyable and fun review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Totally a book that would make my weekend reading sessions. Thank you for your review.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

A book for the nights 😉.
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Very interesting story that I have to read. I wonder what's going to happen when the coworker finds out. Nice review. Thanks.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The story seems to have lots of drama and twists. The title sounds interesting. Sorry about the grammatical errors.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, the plot of this novel sounds quite intriguing. The title is what attracted me to read this review, and it seems the book is worth the hype. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am not a fan of the romance literary genre, but I'll probably give this a pass. I find the premise of this book intriguing, and I am happy to know that it isn't a pure romance genre but with a hint of suspense and thriller. I hope to love this book. Thank you for this amazing review!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

This story sounds so captivating as Rory tries to search for a room mate. I wonder how her relationship with Peter will fan out. Nice review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 08:58 This sounds like a fun weekend read! Thank you for the honest review!
It would make a perfect weekend read! Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

almeidabel wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 10:51 sounds really great, i love romances! great review.
I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kljrox wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 13:02 This is definitely something I would read as a light-hearted diversion from a hectic week. Thanks for an enjoyable and fun review.
It is certainly a way to get away from it all. Thanks for the kind comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 13:59 Totally a book that would make my weekend reading sessions. Thank you for your review.
I hope you get a chance to enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”