Incognito, but not really

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
FelDee
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: A Voice in the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feldee.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
fav_author_id: 6456

Incognito, but not really

Post by FelDee »

Something that makes absolutely no sense to me is if the Descendants are being hunted by the Iksha, why in the world would Carly use her family name? I mean how easy would it be for these people to find her. I mean even people in witness protection will get name changes.

Maybe I missed something, but I am almost finished with the book and she is still going to school using the Wit name even when they know her dad is captured. How is that smart??

Did this bug anyone else?
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

I didn't notice that until now, but now that you mention it, yes, that is a huge plot hole. To be fair, I feel like Wit is a fairly common last name, but still.
FelDee
Currently Reading:

Post by FelDee »

Odette Chace wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 14:58 I didn't notice that until now, but now that you mention it, yes, that is a huge plot hole. To be fair, I feel like Wit is a fairly common last name, but still.
I agree it could be, but even so extremely unsafe. Also farther more, why didn't the Iksha agent at their school take action the moment Carly came to school. I mean if you meet a person with a Descendant's name, and also it is the same person that another Iksha agent has identified back in Minnesota. Annnd they have captured her father you can assume that they know his identity and that he has a daughter named Carly.

I am know secret agent, but if I was, I think, I could put two and two together better than the Iksha have done.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

FelDee wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 01:36
Odette Chace wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 14:58 I didn't notice that until now, but now that you mention it, yes, that is a huge plot hole. To be fair, I feel like Wit is a fairly common last name, but still.
I agree it could be, but even so extremely unsafe. Also farther more, why didn't the Iksha agent at their school take action the moment Carly came to school. I mean if you meet a person with a Descendant's name, and also it is the same person that another Iksha agent has identified back in Minnesota. Annnd they have captured her father you can assume that they know his identity and that he has a daughter named Carly.

I am know secret agent, but if I was, I think, I could put two and two together better than the Iksha have done.
Most definitely.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I guess I missed that point, unless the irksha were unaware of the name and only looking for people with powers it does seem pretty obvious
FelDee
Currently Reading:

Post by FelDee »

:x
Bookreviwer2020 wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 06:20 I guess I missed that point, unless the irksha were unaware of the name and only looking for people with powers it does seem pretty obvious
The Iksha definitely knew the sir names, at least that is how the book presents it. Otherwise how could they have chosen to wipe out of Adam's bloodline?
Tell the truth, or at least don't lie.
~Jordan Peterson, PhD~
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I have just started reading the book and I must say I have never read a book like this before. Firstly, the fact that Adam is having feelings for his mother is obnoxious.I find his character extremely sinister and interesting at the same time. The book also states that he commits a murder( though unintentional )and then hides it very casually. His character gives me the creeps. The book is hard to put down, so I am going to continue reading it.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

FelDee wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 01:36

Ooo that's a very good point.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

DEEPA PUJARI wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 15:20 I have just started reading the book and I must say I have never read a book like this before. Firstly, the fact that Adam is having feelings for his mother is obnoxious.I find his character extremely sinister and interesting at the same time. The book also states that he commits a murder( though unintentional )and then hides it very casually. His character gives me the creeps. The book is hard to put down, so I am going to continue reading it.
That's how I felt too
FelDee
Currently Reading:

Post by FelDee »

DEEPA PUJARI wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 15:20 I have just started reading the book and I must say I have never read a book like this before. Firstly, the fact that Adam is having feelings for his mother is obnoxious.I find his character extremely sinister and interesting at the same time. The book also states that he commits a murder( though unintentional )and then hides it very casually. His character gives me the creeps. The book is hard to put down, so I am going to continue reading it.
When I first started the book I literally thought Abam was going to be the bad guy, which I still wish they would have done.
Tell the truth, or at least don't lie.
~Jordan Peterson, PhD~
Aquilis
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aquilis.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Aquilis »

Yeah, it also seems weird that they wouldn't just employ optometrists as spys to tell them who had usual limbal rings too x)
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

It certainly bothered me. Adam Caspian was a name change from Ruslan Mikhail Rozovsky, and his mother purposefully changed his name to hide him. On the other hand, Carly Wit clearly displays her real last name and her mutated Russian bloodline. No wonder the Iksha tracked them down!
TheNeouReader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theneoureader.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by TheNeouReader »

You make a very good point! I cannot believe I didn't notice that! :( I guess I was so annoyed about other things in the book by that point, I hadn't thought about it much. This plothole really makes the second half of the novel not that exciting anymore haha.
Musk doaab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musk-doaab.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Musk doaab »

Not just Carly, how hard would it be to track Adam when his original name on birth certificate has his Russian family name? Carly minds it dearly that the teacher has shared to the whole class that she has come from Minnesota but does that really matter? Its not like Iksha are confined to a single place with no technology at hand and no one to spy for them.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

I never realised it up until now. Now that's a huge plot hole and I feel silly for not noticing it. A whole lot of things in the book don't make sense and this just adds to it.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”