Dauma's and Adam relationship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Kingston10
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingston10.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Dauma's and Adam relationship

Post by Kingston10 »

I love the fact that dauma is protective of her daughter. It speaks good of her. Still, she did not try to compromise her daughter's relationship with Adam, having trained her daughter well.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

As much as I appreciated Dauma and Adam's relationship, it seemed very...out of place. Maybe because readers weren't shown all of their conversations or much of Adam's training with her, but because it seemed to advance and progress so quickly it didn't feel natural. However, it was nice that Adam got to have a mother figure who he wasn't in love with, and Dauma did do a great job of balancing both her strong her relationship with her daughter and her relationship with Adam.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

As opposed to displaying a slow transition from cautious acquaintance to eventual friendship, the book simply tells us that Dauma and Adam have grown close. Among other things in the book (the growth of friendships, relationships, and biokenretic skills), I felt that the transition was awkward and a bit unnatural.
TheNeouReader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theneoureader.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by TheNeouReader »

I really thought Dauma was going to at the very least, address the situation with Terry or Adam's darkness, but she just gives a warning to protect her daughter to Adam? And became a mother figure to Adam? I'll admit, it's nice seeing the bond they have sure. She is a good mother overall. Just that part didn't align with her personality.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I actually included a complaint about this in my review of this book. The author only tells us they've gotten closer, but they don't show us any of the time they spent together that made them become closer.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

I applaud Dauma for tryingg so hard to create a good atmosphere for both her relationships with Adam and her daughter to thrive. It shows good emotional intelligence.
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

leximutia wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 17:12 As opposed to displaying a slow transition from cautious acquaintance to eventual friendship, the book simply tells us that Dauma and Adam have grown close. Among other things in the book (the growth of friendships, relationships, and biokenretic skills), I felt that the transition was awkward and a bit unnatural.
I completely agree. I believe that it would have been much better if we had not been left to “read between the lines.” I desired more character development throughout the entirety of the story.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

eliviac35 wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 21:49
leximutia wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 17:12 As opposed to displaying a slow transition from cautious acquaintance to eventual friendship, the book simply tells us that Dauma and Adam have grown close. Among other things in the book (the growth of friendships, relationships, and biokenretic skills), I felt that the transition was awkward and a bit unnatural.
I completely agree. I believe that it would have been much better if we had not been left to “read between the lines.” I desired more character development throughout the entirety of the story.
You both summarize my feelings on the relationship between Adam and Dauma pretty well. At first Dauma (justifiably) dislikes or at least is wary of Adam, but then they seem, from the readers point of view, to magically grow incredibly close. Another thing that I think contributed a bit to the awkwardness of this is that it was never really utilized in the plot. Sure, Adam seemed to be able to read Dauma a bit better and the tension was gone between them, but you wouldn't have known they were close if the author hadn't directly told you.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

I was happy that it was not a typical mother and daughter's-boyfriend relationship where Dauma keeps hating Adam. She analyzed and studied Adam sensibly and took an informed decision.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I definitely agree that there should be more detail. Some authors become so afraid of writing a slow story that they jump around, and that's the kind of impression I'm getting from this element of the book.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I appreciated Dauma's motherly concern for Carly especially given Adam's darkness, but I didn't entirely understand why she was so standoffish towards Adam. Some of the things she did weren't well explained, plus I didn't understand what made them get along towards the end of the book. It just wasn't elaborated on.
Little Muse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-muse.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Little Muse »

I felt like their growth was rushed and we didn't get the chance to see how it grew and how they became that close.
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

Yes, that is something that I felt as well - but I couldn't put my finger on it until I saw your comment. Showing is better than telling. I think that the author does show that they have grown close, but it would have been more effective if he didn't first tell the reader that they had grown close.

I do think that the development of this relationship is crucial to Adam's development though. I still don't trust him until after he gains a relationship with Dauma. I trust Dauma, and so I begin to feel that I can emotionally invest in Adam after I see that he has developed a relationship with her - and extends that to improving his other relationships.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

We didn't get to read and understand Dauma and Adam's relationship in depth.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

eliviac35 wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 21:49
Definitely. One good thing is that Dauma expected Adam to be respectful and he quickly was. Even so, that change was also pretty instant. I can only hope that with her immense power, she could see that Adam was a good guy at heart and that's why she was comfortable with him around her daughter.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”