Perversion or relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Re: Perversion or relationship?

Post by kmittag67 »

Yes, I believe Adam would have eventually acted on his feelings. He had a compulsion that could not be understood or controlled. I believe, if Carly had not entered the picture, he probably would have violated his stepmother.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I believe that as troubled as Adam was, and as compelling as JoAnn was, he still had a bit of self control. The way I see it he, he would have likely gone on hating himself for wanting something out of his control.
alicia_fountain
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8717">The Brothers Karamazov</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-fountain.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by alicia_fountain »

I've read a lot about other people's opinions on the sexual nature of this book, and it really makes me nervous about whether or not I should read this book. It seems to me that the author was struggling with trying to write a YA book but still appeal to their desires for the outcome and intent of the book. I'm still uncertain whether or not I want to read "Opaque," but everyone here has definitely helped me see a clearer picture of what I may be going into!
Kayla Cook
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Played With Fire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylac03.html
Latest Review: Ad Infinitum by William Fripp

Post by Kayla Cook »

The main character's attraction to his stepmom and the scene with Terry is a huge reason I didn't choose to review this book in the first place. It sounded like an interesting plot and what I read in the sample was written well enough, but it was more than a little uncomfortable for me to read about his feelings for his stepmom and what he did to Terry. It was disorienting and disturbing, especially being categorized as YA--you just don't expect that kind of behavior in a YA novel. I'm still considering whether I should go ahead and read it, but I don't think I can bring myself to.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

:!: Adam had clearly cultivated an infatuation with his stepmom. That was quite a turn off for me. If Carly had not arrived, I'm certain things would've escalated and it'd have been even more disturbing to read.
Reviewer1969
Currently Reading: Avatar: The Last Airbender-North and South
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer1969.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Reviewer1969 »

Noosh wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:41 That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
I agree with you on the... uncomfortable nature of the context around this relationships. However, I feel I must keep reading for hopes there will be more to the story than this glaring initial obscenity of the relationship. I mainly still have hope from because the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare taunted a similar romantic relationship only to reveal there was no worry of incest. I can only hope in the remaining few chapters this does the same.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I've not been able to review the book though.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

I actually couldn’t finish the book cuz the sexual tension was so weird.. definitely not what I would classify as a YA book.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I really can't say. I was still trying to wrap my head around how weird it all was until his adoptive mum confessed to sharing those feelings.

I think the book should be for adults and not young adults.
Sarah_Tricia
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Gideon the Ninth
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tricia.html
Latest Review: Hero by Danielle Bouthillier
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Sarah_Tricia »

Definitely perversion. Even after finding out Jo is really Adam's stepmom it still felt kind of gross looking back on his thoughts of her. For a while, I thought Carly and Adam's relationship was going to turn abusive since it sounded like Carly had to sacrifice the small normal things she looked forward to doing just to keep Adam in line.
edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Post by edztan15 »

It is an uncomfortable read. Though to be honest, I can deal with that if it is really necessary to move the plot. What I can't deal is the superficiality of the characters.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

If Carly would not have shown up, I think things would get kind of weird between Adam and his stepmother. He would have become more frustrated with himself and there would have been no character development. I think that it might get him more into the dark place in his head and he might get mental health issues.
He would kidnap his father and try to protect her from everything. His sexual attraction for her and vice versa would turn things to incest.
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

Yes I do, but I also think "fallen" is maybe the wrong word, since he was so obsessive and creepy. Fallen assumes love, but Adam isn't loving, he's obsessive and toxic
Little Muse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-muse.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Little Muse »

If Carly never showed up I think things would have taken a bad turn between Adam and his father, worse than it was already and if Adam succeeded in killing Terry, then killing his dad for Jo wouldn't be a surprise.
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Post by daphne_asir »

Njkinny wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:53
Noosh wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:41 That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
I am also feeling the same and am undecided. I keep thinking if showing Adam like this is really necessary and considering it is a YA book, just plain weird and shocking.
I feel the same way! But Carly does come into the picture, right? So probably just going to brave through the weird parts. I hate leaving a book unfinished.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”