Perversion or relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Re: Perversion or relationship?

Post by Frannie Annie »

Alicer wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 01:09 I think Adam and Jo might have had a relationship because they both had feelings for each other though Jo tried her level best to hide it. But with her separation from her husband and being alone with Adam in the same house was room enough for temptation. Carly was a necessary light to stop the darkness from spreading.
Yea, I'm really glad Carly came in when she did. The other thing that people aren't talking about is that Jo drank an unnatural serum that kept her super young. It's not too far of a leap for me to think that it was messing with her brain and body in other ways too.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

amihughson wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 17:51 I don't agree. It's a fact that a lot of children's first crushes, or first thoughts of marriage, however innocent, usually center on a parent or close family member. Thankfully most of them grow out of it. Considering Adam's thoughts and feelings about his peers and his mom, I just honestly thought he was severely underdeveloped emotionally. And in the context of the story, the eventual explanation of those "creepy" feelings and thoughts was plausible. After all, its the same mechanic that made him and Carly completely inseparable after only a couple months of dating, and what drew them together in the first place even though they didn't remotely like each other to begin with.
That's what I thought.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

Being that it was his step mom, it was not really incest...so can you really categorize that as "perversion?" It would most definitely NOT be my cup of tea.... but the mind of a man can go to strange places and justify strange things. Yes he would have acted upon it, as he already clearly wanted to.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
Aquilis
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aquilis.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Aquilis »

Almost certainly. Adam is a really impulsive and perverted character who gives in to pretty much every whim he has in the story. It makes him a useful driving point but a huge liability for the group most of the time.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

It's quite difficult to choose between relationship and perversion. Adam's relationship with JoAnn was questionable but it added to the book's fun.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:34 I think that at the beginning of the story Adam had already "fallen" for his mom. And I think eventually he would have acted on it as well... Considering that he eventually acted on his feelings to kidnap Terry.
At the beginning, I felt that the feelings toward his mom were teenage curiosity about women in general....but then I realized I think he had fallen for his mom..
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

Adams fascination with his step mom made me uncomfortable and I think the story definitely could have done better without that bit put in.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

If Carly never entered the scene, I feel like eventually Adam could have acted on his feelings towards Jo (regardless of whether or not he was aware she was his biological mother). Since he acted on his impulses towards (poor) Terry, I don't see how he wouldn't do something to his mom, given time.

Before I knew about the real situation, regarding the Russian bloodlines, adoption, and youth serum, his thoughts and relationship with Jo did make me very uncomfortable and almost made me reconsider finishing the book. Even after, I still didn't know exactly what to think...
FInziani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finziani.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by FInziani »

I feel that the obsession that Adam had towards his step mom is unacceptable, it makes me cringe!
Coud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coud.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Coud »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:34 I think that at the beginning of the story Adam had already "fallen" for his mom. And I think eventually he would have acted on it as well... Considering that he eventually acted on his feelings to kidnap Terry.
I'm just starting with the book but yeah I think he would have acted on it. Like he is totally lost for his mom
Brielle_S
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brielle-s.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Brielle_S »

Adam's feelings towards Joann made me very uncomfortable at first, and it was hard for me to continue to read this book. Considering how Adam acted when he had feelings for Terry, I would definitely think that he would eventually act on his feelings. While I understand that his feelings were explained, I felt that the explanation didn't exactly make the most sense.
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

Why would anyone want to sleep with their mom (or step-mom)? This idea in this book just tells me to stay away. I'll define it as perversion.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Yes. I think it would have turned ugly like with that girl from the supermarket
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

It was quite possible that Adam would fall for his mother if Carly hadn’t showed up.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

It really sounds like this should not be considered YA, with the sexual undertones and thing with the step-mom. That is just a little dark for YA, in my opinion. I realize young adults are not naive, but should we really put content like this right in their face?

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with light sexuality, wether it be heterosexual or homosexual. But this pulls in a whole new can of worms.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”