Mark: good or bad?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Re: Mark: good or bad?

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

Mark was a bad man. I don't still find any good reason why he had to cheat on JoAnn. He was better exterminated with the Ikshas.
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

Mark was a bad man. I don't still find any good reason why he had to cheat on JoAnn. He was better exterminated with the Ikshas.
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Marks character had both good things as well as some shortcomings and it looked like a real character. The sad thing is that he could not draw his son Adam towards him despite doing some many efforts.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I just felt sympathy for him. Trapped in a marriage that he was not really welcome in, with a wife and son who clearly preferred each other to him. I don't blame him for cheating either. What else was he to do? He could have asked Jo for a divorce but was probably holding out until Adam graduated so he didn't "break up" the family. While the reasoning is flawed, and the cheating unacceptable, if he were a real person I would say that he had no other choice but to seek love and acceptance elsewhere. He clearly still loved his wife and son, but what can a person do when their love is wholly unrequited?
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

Mark's character did not appeal to me. He does not add much to the storyline and could be deleted. Adam’s mother is a strong parental presence in Adam’s life. She could easily be a single mom. Mark would not be missed.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I completely agree. While he did make some terrible choices, he probably felt very out of place in the family with Adam and his mother's bond and the fact that Jo still looked young.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I don’t really think we got to see enough of Mark in the book to know what his character was like. He seemed like a pretty good father and a lousy husband. I just don’t think we saw enough of him to know much.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I feel that Mark did not get enough detail in the story to draw a good conclusion. He seemed like he had good intentions towards his son. However, his other relationships counteract any good you try to give the guy credit for.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

tanner87cbs wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 22:09 I feel that Mark did not get enough detail in the story to draw a good conclusion. He seemed like he had good intentions towards his son. However, his other relationships counteract any good you try to give the guy credit for.
I agree. It's hard to feel anything toward him because he was shut down so much and he never really had a chance for his voice to be heard.
piplup45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

I cannot necessarily blame him for finding other women based on how JoAnn was noticing how things tended to move without being touched around the house and thought she was losing her mind.

He should have left her though. His decisions did cause a lot of problems and pain for so many others, so I can see why she killed him off. It was just a little bad writing to have it happen the way it did.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I did feel sorry for Mark, especially when Carly came to visit and she saw him looking miserable and left out so she tried to talk to him and he perked up
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

I think Mark was actually a good person. He really did love his family but situation pushed him to the edge and he made a mistake.
I'm just justifying what he did though, I just feel if he got a little love back, he wouldn't have made that mistake.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Good people can do bad things, and bad people can do good things. There is no black and white when it comes to morality.

Mark was definitely not the perfect husband or father and did Jo a lot of wrong by cheating, but he also was not a bad person. He didn't deserve to die at the very least (in the battle between Dauma, Adam, Carly, and friends versus the Iksha).

No, I don't think he was a bad person.
TheNeouReader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theneoureader.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by TheNeouReader »

I don't think Mark is a bad person. As others have said, good people can do bad things.

I wouldn't justify the cheating especially if it was with multiple women. If you're unhappy in a relationship, leave or work towards making it stronger with your partner. Maybe Jo would've backed off with being too close to Adam if Mark spoke to her. Either way, to physically get involved with someone is a choice, and he could've chosen better.

Mark was a good father, an alright tyoe of dude, and didn't deserve to die like that at all.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

There was definitely an effort from his side to become a better father. This does not excuse what he did to his wife. Also, I feel his character was unexplored and got a vague feeling that he was merely used as per convenience without any significant contribution to the storyline.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”