Vicki - Victim or Deserves it?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Vicki - Victim or Deserves it?

Post by Miraphery »

I would say that their actions were extreme but I guess they were just desperate, that's all.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

No, I don't think what happened to Vikki was fair. And yes, Dauma, Carly, and Adam definitely went too far.

I'd call Vikki, or Katareena, a victim of circumstance. She is on the antagonists' side in the story but only because she has had certain information fed to her by people she trusted. From her father, she only knows that this child with certain abilities is the one responsible for the death of her uncle, so in her eyes, she was doing what she thought was right.

She deserved to know the truth of the situation. She did not deserve to be tortured.
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

I thought it was kind of weird that they tortured her (basically) and I find it even weirder that Vicki was so dumb that she didn't know what her father was doing. I mean, she must have known he was murdering people and had access to crazy substances that didn't exist anywhere else in the world. I wish she would have been a bit smarter or maybe had more motive to make her seem like she deserved bad treatment. I wanted to hate her, but she was just so lame I couldn't.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Vikki obviously wasn't a victim. Even though she looks young, her mind is much more matured as she is actually is a mature woman. Unless the serum also stunts mental growth, she is definitely not a victim.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I felt sorry for Vikki too. I think she was just used as a pawn by her father and had to take the brunt.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

esp1975 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:31 I think this just represents another way this is very much a young adult book and not an adult book. The way Vicki is treated is very much a teenager fantasy for being able to deal with an evil peer, the mean girl. In an adult book, we would have had to deal with not just the action but the emotional reaction from making that choice. And it absolutely is a big deal.
I haven't read this, but from what I am gathering reading the thread is that the pair did go too far. And, the notion that this legitimizes the fact that this is a YA book is a bit off the mark, in my opinion. I know, as a teenager or adult, I haven't fantasized about torturing anyone in such a manner. Also, if a teenager did have such fantasies, wouldn't they just continue into adulthood? Sure, there are "mean girls" in school, but adult peer groups tend to have them as well. Unfortunately, for some, our personality tendencies do stick with us throughout our lives.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I feel like Vicky deserved it. She did a lot of nasty things and karma finally caught up to her.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

The thing to note here is the possibility for a really promising character arc.

Personally I didn't think Vicki was that bad of a person, nor that the group's decision was all that bad either. The author made her a certain way so she could make her better in the future, and I bet in the other books she's way more likeable.

I think their decision was just a necessary threshold to get her on the side of good and I'm curious to see if it actually works.
Estrellah254
Currently Reading: Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estrellah254.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Estrellah254 »

What they did was not fair. Vicki only did what she was instructed by her father. Dauma and Carly tortured her because they were desperate for information.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

B Creech wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 19:51 I think what Dauma, Carly, and Adam did to Vikki was definitely over the top. To kidnap her and question her was one thing, but I agree that she was only doing what her father instructed her to do. She was not a physical threat to them personally, she was just to find out who had special powers and report it to her father.
Definitely. The interrogation was kind of justified but Vikki was oblivious about the reality of the situation. She was also fairly harmless compared to all these people with superpowers. However, they were unaware of what she was capable of so it's understandable that they were cautious.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

Wy_Bertram wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 13:54 The thing to note here is the possibility for a really promising character arc.

Personally I didn't think Vicki was that bad of a person, nor that the group's decision was all that bad either. The author made her a certain way so she could make her better in the future, and I bet in the other books she's way more likeable.

I think their decision was just a necessary threshold to get her on the side of good and I'm curious to see if it actually works.
I agree. The same way some descendants sided with the Iksha, I think they'll bring Vikki over to their side. In the preview to the next novel, they move Vikki into an underground apartment where I think she will begin to learn the truth about the descendants and the Iksha.
tripsa
Favorite Author: Winston Legge
Currently Reading: Benson's Plan
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 82241

Post by tripsa »

obviously Vicki was a victim though she was following her father's order but she didn't mean to harm anyone and she thought she was doing the right thing but what dauma , Carly and adam did was horrible. They were just desperate which cause her death
Sarah_Tricia
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Gideon the Ninth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tricia.html
Latest Review: Hero by Danielle Bouthillier
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Sarah_Tricia »

I have mixed feelings about Vicki/Katareena.

Her story is that she was manipulated by her father to fulfill his psychotic goals, not to mention abused physically and emotionally with the truth about her family kept from her. Even with all she had done to Adam, Carly, and the other Descendents it's confusing to see her as either a victim or villain.

I guess it all depends on whether or not she decides to redeem herself later on in the series.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

I think the behaviour of Dauma, early and Adam towards Vikki was not good. But they are not totally at fault as they were also thinking maybe she knows something which can help them. But the torture on Vikki is also not totally justified as she was in a mindset that she is doing the right thing. So the torture should not be done on her.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

She was clearly a victim for me. Just like Draco Malfoy in Deathly hollows.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”