Karly Vs Vadam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Karly Vs Vadam

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 10:52
Alyssa wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 09:58 I was really surprised that Adam did such a mature thing. While reading it I kept thinking he was going to punch Kane at the last minute. I was curious why he sees his relationship with Val comparable to Kane and Carly’s tho because they’re really not the same with the romantic feelings. Maybe the rest of the series will spell it out.
I agree! Val doesn't pose the same "threat" that Kane does and that definitely can be a huge influence... And you are right, Adam doing such a mature thing was one of the more mature things he has done in the book.
Yes no romantic feeling from Vadam but that the goal too in Karly.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

It seems that Adam uses his relationships with Val as a way to allow Kane and Carly to remain friends. The reality is though, why should he have a say at all? Carly told him what happened and Kane promised not to cross that line again. It should only be up to Carly and Kane whether they remain friends.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I didn't have a very high opinion of Adam and his general maturity / temperament, but his response towards Kane's advances towards Carly was by far the most mature thing he did in the entire book. It seemed practically uncharacteristic.

On the other hand, Adam's friendship with Val is certainly not the same as Carly's friendship with Kane, and it most definitely does not justify anything. Kane made his advances despite knowing her relationship status (disrespectful and/or impulsive), while Val and Adam are purely platonic friends, with no romantic inclinations.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

B Creech wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 19:42 I think when Adam and Val formed a friendship so quickly maybe it helped Adam to see that there can be just friendship between the opposite sex. Granted, he thinks Val isn't attracted to guys but Carly doesn't give him a hard time over his and Val's friendship so perhaps that opened his eyes about Carly and Kane. Sometimes the more you object to something the apter it is to push two people together!
I agree. The fact that he has that friendship with Val, as well as him syncing with Carly, made him more understanding of the situation.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

leximutia wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 17:07 I didn't have a very high opinion of Adam and his general maturity / temperament, but his response towards Kane's advances towards Carly was by far the most mature thing he did in the entire book. It seemed practically uncharacteristic.

On the other hand, Adam's friendship with Val is certainly not the same as Carly's friendship with Kane, and it most definitely does not justify anything. Kane made his advances despite knowing her relationship status (disrespectful and/or impulsive), while Val and Adam are purely platonic friends, with no romantic inclinations.
Adam seemed to grow up very quickly for someone who was obsessive and slightly overbearing at the beginning of his relationship with Carly. I'm glad his character experienced growth but his progression to almost perfection isn't convincing in such a short timeframe, especially since it's just the first book.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

I think Adam forgiving Kane is justified as every relationship is different from another. The same goes for their friendship with their respective friends. They both share different types of friendships. Kane is the only person Carly is able to make a friend for so long knowing about her being a descendent and she trusted him like Adam. Maybe if Adam was not in the story she would have fallen for him. But for Kane, he had no one else so he falls for Carly and it's not totally wrong.
Dominika S
Favorite Book: Picasso At The Lapin Agile
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominika-s.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Dominika S »

I always thought that Adam was so calm about that kiss because he didn't want to anger Carly with violence.
banevius
Currently Reading: Bones and the Treasure Map
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banevius.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by banevius »

I didn't think there was a tremendous bond beyond good friendship between Carly and Kane. It was just Kane's huge crush on Carly that suggested their bond was more than what it really was. As for Adam and Val, I think they were even less friends, but still friends nonetheless. There weren't enough interactions between Kane and Carly or Adam and Val to make me believe their friendships were some massive bond.

I also didn't think Adam's friendship with Val had anything to do with not acting more violent towards Kane. Adam knows Kane already got slapped by Carly. Additionally, his character was already changing long before this moment, so that he was less violent and more understanding. The Adam at the beginning of the story wouldn't have let this slide though.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”