First-Person Narration - A Good Option?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: First-Person Narration - A Good Option?

Post by Howlan »

danicommissions wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 16:53 First-person can help if you have characters whose actions are unsympathetic or questionable; you get to inhabit their mind and see their reasoning for doing it, while also not having their actions be strictly endorsed by the person telling the story. However, it does mean that there needs to be clear differentiation between the voices of different characters, and that's kind of an issue in this book.
yes, it could be solved by only adding a marker to indicate who is speaking chapter wise.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 19:23 I actually prefer the first-person narrative because I feel like I can better relate to the characters. I agree, though, Adam's narrative is far more convincing than Carly's.
I agree Adam's narrative is really vivid.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Drakka Reader wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 19:46 I'm a pretty good fan of first person. The emotions usually come across better and it is easier to tell what characters are thinking if it switches between characters.
Yes but I think a chapter wise narration switch would improve the book.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

Howlan wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 10:00
Drakka Reader wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 19:46 I'm a pretty good fan of first person. The emotions usually come across better and it is easier to tell what characters are thinking if it switches between characters.
I can understand that, especially if the book has plenty of things happening, a narrator can make facts about what is happening or the world more clear.
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

I think all narrations are good but I think the book is better off with the third omniscient narrator. The first person narrator helps as view the book on a very personal perspective unlike the third where the narrator is indiscriminate
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Drakka Reader wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:11
Howlan wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 10:00
I can understand that, especially if the book has plenty of things happening, a narrator can make facts about what is happening or the world more clear.
Yeah, and I would recommend if the author does that. It would make the narration very clear.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Jacktone Ogada wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 23:46 I think all narrations are good but I think the book is better off with the third omniscient narrator. The first person narrator helps as view the book on a very personal perspective unlike the third where the narrator is indiscriminate
Yes, third-person narration is useful in it's own way but I think first person narration suit this book well.
littlegems
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlegems.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by littlegems »

Actually this was one aspect of the book I had the most trouble with. I noticed as soon as Carly's narrative started that it was too fluid between the two. There were a few points in the story that I was momentarily confused as to whose perspective we were reading. There was even one point where, in the same paragraph, it switched and seemed like it was Mark's, Adam's, and Jo's separate perspectives in different sentences. I had to read that one a couple of times to figure out what was going on. This element made the book a little harder for me to read. I do agree with some of the other replies that first person narrative adds more understanding and development of the character narrating, due to the emotional impact, that sometimes is important to the development of the story.
Avoclaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avoclaw.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Avoclaw »

I can see how alternating between first person narratives can be confusing for the reader, though as others have mentioned before me, I feel that it does allow the reader to relate to the characters more, be it through conscious or subconscious means.
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

No, I don't think that a third person narration would have worked better--I do agree that at the being of the book that Adam's narration was better, but in the middle I thought that Carly narration took over with it being about her and her family.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I think the first person narration use in the book is better. I always prefer when the author show the different perspectives of the characters in the book. It is better to relate to.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

This is an interesting question. I hadn't considered this.
I did enjoy Adam's more and Carly as a whole was a bit unbelievable. Due to my inability to relate to her, it might have been easier to read Carly's in 3rd person. Keeping Adam's in the first person is really rather necessary for the nuances of how his emotions and thoughts are important to the storyline.
piplup45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

How is anyone considering this first person narration? The only uses of first person pronouns occur in dialogue. This is third person with awkward shifts into first person mid-sentence.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I think having the first person point of view is a great way for us readers to understand the characters better. So we can relate to them better. So I don't think a third person POV is needed.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:51
Tehreem000 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:24 I'm feeling guilty replying when I haven't read the book. I just wanted to say that sometimes expression of feelings leaves more impact in first-person narration, to me at least.
I think that is a very valid point!

I agree. It's very difficult to give depths to the characters if you don't use the first person. The third person helps with books (like this one) that give historical backgrounds (like the famine).

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”