Better as an adult book

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Re: Better as an adult book

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

SirLaddie wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 09:33 Too much darkness and violent thoughts at the beginning. This is more of an adult book than young adult.
Yes, pretty much from the very first page. I knew then I would have trouble relating...
Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

The book should be an adult book... Ya genre is too underrated considering the violent actions in the book
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

I agree with you, this book could have gone in a different direction if it was put into the adult category. So much was left unexplored because of the rating, not to mention the creepy undertones some of the parts had. I would love to have seen this less restrained by trying to keep it as a YA book.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Perhaps, the book might have been better as an adult fiction book, as opposed to YA. There were a lot of dark themes in the story. We could have delved a bit more into Terry's abduction and accidental death by Adam, his unhealthy obsession with his mother, his dismissive (and frankly sociopathic) perspective / attitude towards others, the story behind the Iksha, what they did regarding their attempts to wipe out the mutated Russian bloodlines, and what happened to his mother...

There were a lot of disturbing themes, scenes, and happenings involved within the entire story, and the YA label might have limited Calix Leigh-Reign a bit. I certainly would have preferred to see it as a sci-fi thriller.
JohnKasha
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johnkasha.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by JohnKasha »

This book should have been an adult book considering how the toxic relationships of some of the characters were described .
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

I haven’t read many of the other comments and I am still in the process of reading the book, but I want to lift this thought: YA in my country for example, does not usually include ‘teenagers’ (I.e 13-18) but rather ranges from 19-25. If I had to take this into context, I would probably say it is fine to be classified in this genre. I would certainly never suggest that a teenager reads this book.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Some of the themes are way too dark for the YA genre. Perhaps if there were a lower age limit of 18+, that would be more appropriate. I know if I had read this as a young teen I would have been disturbed.
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Musk doaab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musk-doaab.html

Post by Musk doaab »

I agree with a comment indicating that author added so much of everything that it ends up going everywhere instead of the directions she wanted to, there was so many ideas left hanging that you expect to appear later but they are just left as is. I am waiting for the next books in the series, maybe, they would do some justice but it appeared the writer had unique ideas but as story progressed, it felt prey to cliches and usual mainstream plot.
Brielle_S
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brielle-s.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Brielle_S »

I think that this book would be better suited for more mature audiences. The darker themes were interesting, and it was refreshing to see someone explore something so taboo in their writings, but the young adult rating definitely held her back. I found that this also caused some of the scenes to be underdeveloped.
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

Brielle_S wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 23:44 I think that this book would be better suited for more mature audiences. The darker themes were interesting, and it was refreshing to see someone explore something so taboo in their writings, but the young adult rating definitely held her back. I found that this also caused some of the scenes to be underdeveloped.
I definitely agree. Along with the scenes, I don’t believe that the characters were allowed to fully develop. I would like to see this as an adult book.
Officialboluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialboluwatife.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Officialboluwatife »

I thought as much, too many darkness and sexual pronouncement. It is truly an Adult book.
JaimeAlfonzo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimealfonzo.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JaimeAlfonzo »

SirLaddie wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 09:33 Too much darkness and violent thoughts at the beginning. This is more of an adult book than young adult.
I absolutely agree with you, Adam kidnaps a young girl, he used chloroform and tape her. It was planned!.
Only that scene makes this book an Adult book not a YA.
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

I wonder how many high schoolers have got their hands on the book. YA already got lots of inadequate things on their hands, they don't need more
Zaddy_007
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaddy-007.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zaddy_007 »

I was a tad disappointed with the writers concept of presenting scenes to readers. I would prefer a switch to adult sci-fi rather than YA genre.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

Brielle_S wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 23:44 I think that this book would be better suited for more mature audiences. The darker themes were interesting, and it was refreshing to see someone explore something so taboo in their writings, but the young adult rating definitely held her back. I found that this also caused some of the scenes to be underdeveloped.
This is how I felt about the book as well. Though I'm not one to shy away from dark themes, these parts of the book felt awkward to me because they didn't fit the overall tone of the book and could never be explored in full due to the young adult classification. In my opinion, the book would have been better either as a young adult book without these themes (I think Adam's attraction to his mom could be removed without much damage to the plot) or as an adult scifi thriller.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”