Adam and Carly - Romantic or Dangerously Romanticized?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Adam and Carly - Romantic or Dangerously Romanticized?

Post by Howlan »

Twylla wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 18:04 Adam and Carly had a very dysfunctional relationship. But I have to give them credit, they abstained from sex. That took some commitment.

I didn't understand why she thought it was up to her to burn down the Den. That wasn't her business.
Yes I agree with you on that one
Still their relationship had too much going on.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I agree it did go beyond what we expect for young people's books and some of the scenes were quite descriptive concerning passions and body parts etc

These things would not make it suitable for this age range.

Somehow Carly seemed innocent and their love innocent, yet there are many things that break that innocent bubble
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

danicommissions wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 16:50 I feel like, with the discussions that have taken place around past books like Twilight, YA authors maybe should have learned that it's possible for YA to normalise some really toxic stuff when it comes to relationships - like that 'love' is taking down all your boundaries around a person and letting them be overly protective of you and invasive of your privacy. I don't think Adam's exactly being portrayed in the book as a spotless hero, but a lot of the dangerous behaviours he displays aren't really addressed.
Exactly! He does all these abusive things to Carly, but you are right, it is never addressed and that kinda comes across and the author condoning what he is doing. I guess compared to kidnapping a girl, him listening into Carly's convo's isn't something to be worried about.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 16:55
Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:21 :violence-smack:
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:04

Or just slap him!
:violence-smack: But then they might break up!
Yeah but still, Adam does push her away when she learns about his roots and hides from him and Adam comes to know of that!
But then they just send overly understanding texts to each and kiss and make up.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 16:57
Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:24
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:02

Yeah a major flop as well.
I could never even get into it... I prefer Lestate and Louis to Robert and werewolf guy :P
And I have only seen the first movie.
Eh, never was my cup of tea!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 16:59
gilliansisley wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:52
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:02

I would feel sorry for the actors if it does become one.
Fingers crossed that never, ever happens...
Also considering that sex cave.... Idk what will they show about that, a normal cave?
or a tree house ha
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Twylla wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 18:04 Adam and Carly had a very dysfunctional relationship. But I have to give them credit, they abstained from sex. That took some commitment.

I didn't understand why she thought it was up to her to burn down the Den. That wasn't her business.
Agreed, that was one of the very few signs of maturity and restraint (which was very shocking considering the other sexual details in the book)

Yeah, that's probably my biggest issue with this book. She should have reported him to the cops or at least confronted him about it.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 22:49

Yes I agree with you on that one
Still their relationship had too much going on.
Especially considering they've only known each other for a month or so.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

readerrihana wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:50 I agree it did go beyond what we expect for young people's books and some of the scenes were quite descriptive concerning passions and body parts etc

Somehow Carly seemed innocent and their love innocent, yet there are many things that break that innocent bubble
Yes, that involves covering up murders.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:54
danicommissions wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 16:50 I feel like, with the discussions that have taken place around past books like Twilight, YA authors maybe should have learned that it's possible for YA to normalise some really toxic stuff when it comes to relationships - like that 'love' is taking down all your boundaries around a person and letting them be overly protective of you and invasive of your privacy. I don't think Adam's exactly being portrayed in the book as a spotless hero, but a lot of the dangerous behaviours he displays aren't really addressed.
Exactly! He does all these abusive things to Carly, but you are right, it is never addressed and that kinda comes across and the author condoning what he is doing. I guess compared to kidnapping a girl, him listening into Carly's convo's isn't something to be worried about.
Yes and after all that, he still acts like Carly is at fault all the time. Like when she hid her suspicions about Adam's identity for his own sake.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:55
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 16:55
Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:21 :violence-smack:

:violence-smack: But then they might break up!
Yeah but still, Adam does push her away when she learns about his roots and hides from him and Adam comes to know of that!
But then they just send overly understanding texts to each and kiss and make up.
But still, I did not like Adam's attitude.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:56
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 16:57
Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:24

I could never even get into it... I prefer Lestate and Louis to Robert and werewolf guy :P
And I have only seen the first movie.
Eh, never was my cup of tea!
Yeah I agree. Not mine either.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

readerrihana wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:50 I agree it did go beyond what we expect for young people's books and some of the scenes were quite descriptive concerning passions and body parts etc

That is a great summary! And yes, there are a lot of things that suggest their innocence (such as abstaining from sex) but there are a lot more instances than condemn their relationship and highlight how toxic it actually is.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:57
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 16:59
gilliansisley wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:52

Fingers crossed that never, ever happens...
Also considering that sex cave.... Idk what will they show about that, a normal cave?
or a tree house ha
A treehouse would have been difficult to cover.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 12:11

That is a great summary! And yes, there are a lot of things that suggest their innocence (such as abstaining from sex) but there are a lot more instances than condemn their relationship and highlight how toxic it actually is.
Yeah, another thing that I found surprising was them dealing with Kane's kiss so maturely.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”