father

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Official_Sammie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-official-sammie.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: father

Post by Official_Sammie »

I don't think it was out of selfishness. I believe she didn't have the mind to kill, she was grieved and didn't know at that time, that it wasn't her husband.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I just thought it was done because war has casualties. It would have been unrealistic for everyone to have lived just because they were "with the good guys". And having him die as Adam is getting to a point where he believes he should attempt a civil relationship with his father just demonstrates the unexpectedness of death. After all, people usually die with unresolved issues in life. I don't think his death really needs to mean anything more than, "Oh, we are at war, and sometimes in war bystanders are killed", if it means anything.
piplup45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

What do you mean she did nothing to stop it? She made sure he made it into the back of the truck and it was acknowledged that if he had stayed down in the bed, he’d have made it through unscathed. His head was covered, but he could still hear. He knew he was rescued and there was still a battle happening. He should’ve stayed down until he was told otherwise. It’s his own fault he died and Adam should not have any ill feelings for Dauma as a result.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 16:00 I thought that her lack of control made her a more interesting character - it's nice to know that someone perceived as being so powerful and being a leader could have flaws too!
I agree here. Sometimes it's good when a character is a bit unstable or out of control. You can't predict what they're going to do so it really helps with making the story interesting.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I think she was overwhelmed with emotion so was not planning something malicious, but upset and afraid for her husband, herself and her daughter and determined to protect them. I guess in such situations people don't consider others greatly I guess
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Dauna did not intend to kill Adam's father. He died because he came out of the truck otherwise he would have survived. She didn't tell Adam that the hostage was his father because he would have been emotional and might have failed to protect others who accompanied them to the battle causing their deaths. To be fair it only shows that everyone can be emotional and make drastic choices even a leader.
KimberlyS88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlys88.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KimberlyS88 »

I don’t think it was selfish, I feel she may have been overwhelmed and made the best choices she could in the moment.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

From what I understand, Mark was also standing up on the pickup bed while there were blasts going off everywhere. Not that I can blame him because he didn't know what was going on, but that did not help the situation at all. Dauma tried to make sure everyone was protected before she let loose, and Vikki survived because she wasn't moving. Maybe his movement made him harder to cloak because he wasn't cooperating.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:

Post by Frannie Annie »

Honestly the dad's death makes sense to me. He was standing on the pickup bed while blasts were going off everywhere, which got him killed. It's not that he deserved to die, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Dauma told Adam to cloak everyone before she went off, so I don't have any issues with what she did there. She clearly saw that it was a losing battle, so she ended it the only way she could. She had the ability to read people's DNA, which might be why she could ID him just from a skeleton. And Adam had plenty of chances to redeem his character anyway, which he did by mending his relationship with Jo and by respecting Carly's wishes when Kane kissed her. Mark didn't seem willing to own up to his own god awful actions so I didn't feel a particular need to see their relationship get mended. The only way I would have enjoyed that was for Mark to wake up and realize what a piece of crap he was being.

edit: I just realized I double posted, didn't mean to do that. My first comment didn't even look like it went through so I rewrote and resubmitted it.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:

Post by Frannie Annie »

amihughson wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 18:40 I just thought it was done because war has casualties. It would have been unrealistic for everyone to have lived just because they were "with the good guys". And having him die as Adam is getting to a point where he believes he should attempt a civil relationship with his father just demonstrates the unexpectedness of death. After all, people usually die with unresolved issues in life. I don't think his death really needs to mean anything more than, "Oh, we are at war, and sometimes in war bystanders are killed", if it means anything.
That's how I took it.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:

Post by Frannie Annie »

piplup45 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 20:53 What do you mean she did nothing to stop it? She made sure he made it into the back of the truck and it was acknowledged that if he had stayed down in the bed, he’d have made it through unscathed. His head was covered, but he could still hear. He knew he was rescued and there was still a battle happening. He should’ve stayed down until he was told otherwise. It’s his own fault he died and Adam should not have any ill feelings for Dauma as a result.
That's a good point.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I think that once she saw that the Iksha captive to be exchanged for Vikki (Katareena) was not her husband, and instead Mark, Adam's father, it finally sunk in that her husband was dead. She did mention later that she'd felt him die, but she had been in denial until then.

While she is powerful and as a leader, she should be in control, given the circumstances and her sudden realization, it makes sense why she may not have had the best judgment or control in battle.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Sometimes, being so strong all the time leads to even greater flaws. Uneasy does lie the head of a leader sometimes. And grief is a powerful emotion, capable of bringing anyone down.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Zaddy_007
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaddy-007.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zaddy_007 »

I couldn't understand the reason for Adams fathers death, although it feels like it was a mistake.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Dauma should have been more in control of her power and pissed me off that she wasn't. It also seemed very convenient that they killed off Mark just when Adam was feeling remorse for the poor guy. I thought he could have been developed a little more.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”