Twists and turns [SPOILERS]

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Re: Twists and turns [SPOILERS]

Post by Jezebelle84 »

Tigereetiger2010 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 23:45
Jezebelle84 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 14:20 I wasn't invested enough in this book for any of the twists to shock me. it was like "Adam, you have a twin. He's evil" Meh. No more mention of him. "Vikki is actually a spy for Iksha and she's over 30 years old" uh huh, and? Then the part about Alexandra still being alive and now being with the Iksha. i was like "why?"
second book explains a lot of these things in a lot more detail.
I thought the second book might explore some of those things. Unfortunately, I won't be reading it.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Jezebelle84 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:34
Tigereetiger2010 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 23:45
Jezebelle84 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 14:20 I wasn't invested enough in this book for any of the twists to shock me. it was like "Adam, you have a twin. He's evil" Meh. No more mention of him. "Vikki is actually a spy for Iksha and she's over 30 years old" uh huh, and? Then the part about Alexandra still being alive and now being with the Iksha. i was like "why?"
second book explains a lot of these things in a lot more detail.
I thought the second book might explore some of those things. Unfortunately, I won't be reading it.
I am slightly curious about the next book, but only in the way I would be curious about what happens after a car crash or something :mrgreen:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

I was excited to learn of Adam's twin. Also that Alexandra is still alive. I'm expecting a few more twists in the next book. I have a feeling there's more to Nikolay as well.
ninski
Favorite Book: Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninski.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ninski »

I think the beauty of a really good plot twist is that, even though you never saw it coming, when it hits you it´s like...bang...a bolt of realisation strikes and it all makes sense. Didn´t get the big bang moment with this book but even so, the author deserves credit for making the effort to hold back and then ´reveal´ character histories or motivations that can be considered effective in breaking up the monotony of a predictable tale.
“The problem with fiction, it has to be plausible. That's not true with non-fiction.”
Tom Wolfe
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

The Vikki twist was my favourite! But does anyone know why Adam wasn't drawn to her the same way he was to JoAnn? Technically both took the serum (presumably Terry did too) but his reaction was different.

I agree the twist would be much more shocking if Terry was a favoured character.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Kelyn wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:35 I think I'm biased because I'm the mother of twins, but I was delighted with the twist that Adam was a twin. The being adopted part was just an aside to me.
Ooh, agreed! That was also a total surprise, and that twin connection (in fantasy fiction or in real-life scenarios) is always an ironclad, unbreakable bond. Delightful twists are always a pleasure to suddenly come across.
arigray9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arigray9.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by arigray9 »

I thought all the twists were really interesting (Adam having a twin, Alexandra being alive, them both being part of the Iksha, Vikki’s arc, JoAnn and the serum, Dauma’s merging, and more) but at some point it felt like there were too many plot points thrown together. I would have liked to see more development into some of the twists (especially Adam’s orgin and family) rather than what seemed like wild events thrown in for shock value. Dauma basically told Carly “oh by the way, Alexandra’s alive and part of the Iksha” and then merged with her before we could get any more detail. All the turns are super interesting, I just want to know more without having to read a whole second and possibly third before things are tied together. It’s good to include points of interest to move the plot forward, but a lot of the book felt like an exposition for things to come.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

arigray9 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 01:04 I thought all the twists were really interesting (Adam having a twin, Alexandra being alive, them both being part of the Iksha, Vikki’s arc, JoAnn and the serum, Dauma’s merging, and more) but at some point it felt like there were too many plot points thrown together. I would have liked to see more development into some of the twists (especially Adam’s orgin and family) rather than what seemed like wild events thrown in for shock value. Dauma basically told Carly “oh by the way, Alexandra’s alive and part of the Iksha” and then merged with her before we could get any more detail. All the turns are super interesting, I just want to know more without having to read a whole second and possibly third before things are tied together. It’s good to include points of interest to move the plot forward, but a lot of the book felt like an exposition for things to come.
I had that "multi books thrown together" feeling a lot while reading this book as well... I am also a fan of some good foreshadowing which this book had none (that I recall offhand). Too many balls coming out of the left field.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

There were series of surprises. The origin of Adam caught me off guard. Who would have imagined that he was a twin? He was also adopted.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I think the most shocking twist was when Dauma informs Carly that the man the Iksha held captive was Mark. I had thought maybe it was Adam's twin or sibling. It seemed like a brutal way to kill off a character.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
DameCelete
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damecelete.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by DameCelete »

I agree with others who have noted the twists kind of just get throw in and then vanish.

And was it just me, or did Vikki have a lot of sudden revelations?

Like - BAM! She's really an adult.

WOOSH! She and Adam are related (which is why he wasn't into her because genetics and other reasonings which seem to be a desperate attempt to undercut Adam's oedipal complex in the earlier half of the book).

When it comes to Vikki, showing her mercy for the genetic twist at the end undermined any theoretical growth we were supposed to see in Adam.
majdawhispers
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majdawhispers.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by majdawhispers »

My favorite was how the serum in his mom's veins explained the love he had for her. Such a relief lol!
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

The biggest twist for me was definitely the Vicki twist. I really did not see it coming!
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

Mounce574 wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 00:19 Adam's origin was a major twist for me. I never expected that he was adopted and had a twin.
Same! Also, when his mother joined Iksha.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

Nym182 wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 13:56 I did think that Vicki being an adult was an interesting twist.
That was a great twist to me too. I feel like it was slightly hinted at earlier when Adam was wondering how a parent would let a teen get breast implants. I didn't see it coming though. That, and Adam having a twin.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”