Thoughts on Ending??

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Thoughts on Ending??

Post by Howlan »

Chelsearoses wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 06:04
gilliansisley wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 13:08
Chelsearoses wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 18:15

Honestly I agree, I was a little bothered at how casual Carly took it with him. Terry very much dismissed and quite easily. I don't feel there was any justice for her.
She did deserve better, part of me thinks Carly and her friend she worked with might have been a better match?? But there was obviously the power pull between Carly and Adam
Amen, sister. Couldn't agree more!

I totally liked Kane until he kissed Carly by the door, when he knew she had a boyfriend. Granted, she shouldn't have been snuggling up on the couch with him, because mixed signals, but still.

The slap was warranted. I was peeved when she apologized for it.
I agree also, the kiss wasn't warranted and she shouldn't have apologized. I get hanging out with friends, I think she needed that other friendship in him, but agreed, I wouldn't be cuddling on the couch, but also the kiss wasn't needed.
I think she apologised cause she did not want to break off their friendship.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I had seen something about the second book, so I knew Carly wasn't going anywhere. I don't think I would have believed it anyway. The whole book wasn't set up to have Carly go in the end. It would have unraveled Adam and everything the story was working on I think.
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

Considering there is a sequel and another book on the, I didn't believe for a moment that Carly would actually die. Even if she did, likely she would somehow be brought back in the next book.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

What did not come up to my expectations were the hostage exchange and the confrontation between Adam, Carly, and the other Descendants and the Iksha.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Perhaps it does not provide any hint of the next book for people who are not intending to read the next books
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 03:44
kaylahk17 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:53 I did not think Carly would die. The amount of time building her character up made me think her character was needed and evolving. I did think Adam would at least attempt to save her somehow and either become seriously injured or he would be the fatality.
Adam dying would be totally unapproved off as he is the central character in the series apart from Carly, the whole story revolves around him.
Yes, that I believe too. But to be completely honest I didn't think he was the main character at the beginning of the book. Maybe if her fate stayed mystery that would be a good ending. Either way I am not interested in reading next book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
KingK123
Favorite Book: The Sultan's Harem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingk123.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by KingK123 »

SPOILER

Okay I liked the ending, but I had mixed emotions because I feel like so many things were left out. LIke, why did Adam NEVER suffer any repercussions for killing that girl? He was forgiven so easily. It irritated me lol but I'm hoping to see Carly return in an upcoming novel.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 13:30
kaylahk17 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:53 I did not think Carly would die. The amount of time building her character up made me think her character was needed and evolving. I did think Adam would at least attempt to save her somehow and either become seriously injured or he would be the fatality.
Adam dying would be totally unapproved off as he is the central character in the series apart from Carly, the whole story revolves around him.
Yes, that I believe too. But to be completely honest I didn't think he was the main character at the beginning of the book. Maybe if her fate stayed mystery that would be a good ending. Either way I am not interested in reading next book.
So do you think the book is centered around multiple characters or any other character?
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

I've seen a lot of weird endings and this is one of them. However, it's a Sci-fi book in series and hence you wouldn't know what the author has up her sleeves for the next installment.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

KingK123 wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 22:58 SPOILER

Okay I liked the ending, but I had mixed emotions because I feel like so many things were left out. LIke, why did Adam NEVER suffer any repercussions for killing that girl? He was forgiven so easily. It irritated me lol but I'm hoping to see Carly return in an upcoming novel.
yeah, a lot of people had those same misgivings... The Terry thing was such a head-scratcher! Carly just saves his day by getting rid of all the evidence and giving him a fresh start. Talk about your dirty little secrets!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

nfdoughe wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 11:40 I had seen something about the second book, so I knew Carly wasn't going anywhere. I don't think I would have believed it anyway. The whole book wasn't set up to have Carly go in the end. It would have unraveled Adam and everything the story was working on I think.
Which honestly makes sense, to be honest
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Howlan wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 23:58

So do you think the book is centered around multiple characters or any other character?
I meant at the beginning of the book I had a feeling he was the antagonist. Which later on I figured he is not. This is definitely a book centered around Adam with all other characters being more or less just props. IMO of course.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
James Edwards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-edwards.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by James Edwards »

*Spoiler Alert*
I have to say that I really enjoyed the book except for the ending. The reason I didn't enjoy the ending was that it was too unreal to use superpowers for giant explosions. It would not have hurt to use some weapons instead.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 17:16
Howlan wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 23:58

I meant at the beginning of the book I had a feeling he was the antagonist. Which later on I figured he is not. This is definitely a book centered around Adam with all other characters being more or less just props. IMO of course.
Yes, me too. I definitely thought Adam is an anti-hero or antagonist. I thought it quite refreshing that we have a concept of an anti-hero as a YA book. But of course, it was not.
Mahingan79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahingan79.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mahingan79 »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 20:00 Spoilers:

I thought the ending was a bit anticlimactic and wished there would have been some sort of hook for the next book. I didn’t feel like there was much to get excited about for the next book. I might have to read the sneak peek because this book just moved on to Merry Christmas and that was it. I thought a glimpse of the twin or Alexandra would have been a nice addition to the epilogue.
I was a little disappointed in the 'Merry Christmas' ending as well. I lectured my kindle. "Wait, what? Are you friggin kidding me? What about the twin that was hinted to earlier, or Vikki, or the rest of the Iksha? Are we seriously not going to address the fact that Carly exhibited more powers than any descendant has been known to have? I mean really, not one person is going to call her on that? Not even the super jealous shady one."

Then I saw the sneak peek of book 2 was on the next page and realized there was still more to come. The author just chose to end the book on a calm note after so much excitement. I'm already a third of the way through the second book now. This is a great story. You should definitely give it a chance.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”