Carly and Kane's friendship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Carly and Kane's friendship

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I thought Carlys reaction of slapping was natural. I mean she was so shocked at the kiss that she reacted without thinking. Just because you're in a committed relationship doesn't mean you can not be attracted to someone else. Maybe the guilt of her attraction made her slap Kane.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

sursangeet_2000 wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 21:13 I thought Carlys reaction of slapping was natural. I mean she was so shocked at the kiss that she reacted without thinking. Just because you're in a committed relationship doesn't mean you can not be attracted to someone else. Maybe the guilt of her attraction made her slap Kane.
Yes true, and she apologised to him later so I do think that Kane will be wary in the future.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Howlan wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 08:28 I think Val and Adam's friendship is a great example
You're right! I hadn't thought of that, thanks! :tiphat:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

amandathebibliophile wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 11:25 I haven’t read this book, but I have a sense of how to answer this question. I don’t think it’s ever fair to say the woman “had it coming” with regards to sexual advances. That being said, I bet there were plenty of mixed signals going on between these two “friends!” Not that mixed signals give anyone the right to behave inappropriately...
Exactly! I don't think Carly was giving mixed signals on purpose, but I think Kane was getting mixed signals from their close relationship. And I definitely think Kane was out of line to kiss her. But I believe they both are accountable for the entire situation! Without reading the book you were spot on! Thanks for commenting! :tiphat:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

redrockwolf wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 13:11 I felt she could have handled the situation better. She seemed to be giving Kane mixed signals. She could have dressed for comfort and not for attention -- though she did make sure to put on the socks to avoid the "foot fetish" attention. Snuggling on the couch was a bit much. I do understand some of her reasons, though. She had never had any friends before, much less male friends, and was not sure how to behave. The slap was called for because Kane should have understood she was already taken. Her boyfriend was Kane's friend. He should never have taken that step. He should never have kissed her.
Exactly! What great thoughts. I forgot about the socks and foot fetish, :D Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Hi_low wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 07:11 I feel like a lot of things would have prevented the kiss/slap scene between Kane and Carly. If. Carly had set boundaries rather than assumed then there wouldn't have been an issue. And if Kane and Carly would have acknowledged that Carly was with someone else it wouldn't have happened either. Nevertheless, these things didn't happen. I feel like the slap was a reaction that couldn't have been prevented in the moment but it definitely could have been prevented early in the relationship
You're right, if Carly had set boundaries from the beginning of their relationship it would never of happened and it would have spared them both a lot of pain! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Miller56 wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 18:24 I think it is always easy to mistake someone's intentions and we need to be self aware in all situations. I feel like Carly misled Kane and made him feel like there may be a chance for them to be more than friends. I am not big on using any sort of violence, even slapping someone, to get my point across so it came across as too harsh.
Yes, she definitely had not handled the relationship right if all she wanted was friendship. Maybe she didn't know how since she had never had any real friends before. Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I really thought the fact that Carly decides to wear pink socks due to Kane's "foot fetish" was extremely weird.

And even if she did "overreact" to the kiss, she pretty much immediately forgives him anyway, so the drama was resolved on her end pretty quickly.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

No that sounds absolutely wrong. Snuggling, yeah a little off limits. But still off shoulders is not an invitation, it was his feelings and it was his fault. I think it was okay
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

redrockwolf wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 13:11 I felt she could have handled the situation better. She seemed to be giving Kane mixed signals. She could have dressed for comfort and not for attention -- though she did make sure to put on the socks to avoid the "foot fetish" attention. Snuggling on the couch was a bit much. I do understand some of her reasons, though. She had never had any friends before, much less male friends, and was not sure how to behave. The slap was called for because Kane should have understood she was already taken. Her boyfriend was Kane's friend. He should never have taken that step. He should never have kissed her.
I think that's a great understanding of what happened... She did what she could to not entice him as best she could, she acknowledges that he has a foot fetish and puts on socks (which I still think is a WEIRD detail to add) and you make a good point she's not exactly used to hanging out with people her age... I mean, it's hard enough as a "regular" teenager, but one who has been constantly uprooted must have an even harder time knowing what is "ok" for friends to do... cuddling could be seen a platonic and she may not understand that snuggling can be seen as being romantically interested.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 10:55 I really thought the fact that Carly decides to wear pink socks due to Kane's "foot fetish" was extremely weird.

And even if she did "overreact" to the kiss, she pretty much immediately forgives him anyway, so the drama was resolved on her end pretty quickly.
I agree about the foot fetish! And yes, she was sorry immediately and worried that she had just ended their friendship. Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Areej Tahir wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 12:30 No that sounds absolutely wrong. Snuggling, yeah a little off limits. But still off shoulders is not an invitation, it was his feelings and it was his fault. I think it was okay
I agree it was mostly his fault because he knew she was in the relationship with Adam. Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
tgoatley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoatley.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by tgoatley »

I can see both point of views. But I think Carly did not have to slap Kane. If they are best friends like they say they are she could of just told him to stop and that would of been just fine. It did not need such a dramatic scene.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

tgoatley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 10:00 I can see both point of views. But I think Carly did not have to slap Kane. If they are best friends like they say they are she could of just told him to stop and that would of been just fine. It did not need such a dramatic scene.
Good point...
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Nym182 wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 13:41
tgoatley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 10:00 I can see both point of views. But I think Carly did not have to slap Kane. If they are best friends like they say they are she could of just told him to stop and that would of been just fine. It did not need such a dramatic scene.
Good point...
That is a very good point!
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”