Carly and Kane's friendship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Re: Carly and Kane's friendship

Post by sirbobthewise »

leareiler wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 13:59 I don't blame Carly for the kiss, but I do think she should have handled their whole relationship better. Like, she knew Kane liked her, but she still didn't feel the need to set any boundaries? But I do think Kane should NOT have made a move. It was disrespectful to her and Adam. Like, he knew they were together and if he wanted to let her know he had feelings for her, he should have used his words, not his lips.
I agree. I don't think it was one side or the other that was 100% "wrong," but that the entire situation could have been handled a lot better (by both of them). An establishment of boundaries should have been a priority for Carly, and Kane should have "used his words," as you described it.

Due to the language that the author used a lot to describe Carly, it seemed that she was trying to portray her as very "rational" and "mature." If she truly was supposed to be characteristic of that, I think it would have been fitting for her character and a good choice of the author for them to have a "boundaries chat." And can you imagine actually having that in a YA book?! That kind of positive interaction could have really presented a good model for this age-range. But I get the fictitious drama of it and the ability to use the scene to show Adam as "changing" from his past-reactive self and giving Carly a more "emotional" and "human" appeal.
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

sevencrows wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:30
DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:20 I think Kane knew she was in a relationship. Just because Carly chose to wear a sweater, that doesn't mean Kane just gets to forget that Carly is in a relationship. Now I wouldn't say she should have resorted to violence, but all of that anger is fair, because Carly is the one who felt the guilt when faced by Adam again. It was wrong for Kane to take advantage of her in that way. No matter what she had on, or how she fell asleep accidentally.
I completely completely agree with this -- mentioning her clothes as a reason for Kane kissing her feels almost like blaming the victim, and though snuggling may have given him the wrong idea, it's also something non-romantic friends do. Carly's first reaction was to slap him, and in the moment I believe it can be justified.
Kane was not reading the signs that Carly was sending him all night that his extra attention was making her uncomfortable. She was trying to maintain the close relationship and not acknowledge the hints that Kane was giving her. There were several instances in their conversation and interactions before the movie that Carly indicated discomfort with Kane's comments and indicated that it was Adam that she wanted to be with. Ya, getting slapped sucks. But, getting kissed by a close friend when you have been deflecting those hints all night sucks too.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

I think what she was wearing is no reason for him to kiss her, especially as her close friend who she trusts. As far as what was presented in the book, I don't think she ever did something to give him the wrong impression. However, I feel she should have set better boundaries as someone in a relationship. As the closeness could be misconstrued if she wasn't in a relationship, I think that's what makes it inappropriate while she is in one.

She shouldn't have slapped him, but it's understandable if that was her automatic reaction to the kiss.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I don't think the sweater has anything to do with Kane kissing Carly but her snuggling with him, though just as a friend, must have overwhelmed him. Even if she was wearing a turtle neck, he would have still found her attractive and them spending so much time together must have made him hope for something more even when he knew that she was with Adam.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

Yeah the slap was actually a bit too harsh. Like, come on, you do know when a guy is trying to be more than just a friend to you, she somewhere knew that Kane liked her romantically so instead of talking to him about it and then slapping him for it was very uncalled for.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 598
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I understand why you say this. However, I don't agree with the 'provoking' part. I feel she could wear whatever she wanted; it still didn't give him the right to assume it was an invitation to cross the line of friendship. Like you said, he knew Adam and her where in a relationship and as a friend he should have respected that, unless she told him otherwise. To me he had no right to kiss her. If she on the other hand went in for the kiss first, that would've counted as provoking him for me.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Even though I agree that kissing Carly was a step too far from Kane, I also think that Carly overreacted; considering the fact that her gesture moments before the kiss was quite suggestive.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”