Terry

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Brielle_S
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brielle-s.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Terry

Post by Brielle_S »

I also felt that Terry's character stayed with me, and I too felt sad that her parents were left wondering what happened to their daughter. The fact that Carly never questioned Adam about her disturbed me a little, and I found myself questioning if she was a reliable character for a while. The fact that Adam never brought up what he did, or expressed remorse also bothered me and made me question if he was a good character.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

I think terry is also a descendant and had something to do with Iksha. So far, Adam has only been attracted to women with strong Descendant cores or serum injected. Terry might be one of them
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

Kishor Rao wrote: 24 Apr 2020, 01:32 I think terry is also a descendant and had something to do with Iksha. So far, Adam has only been attracted to women with strong Descendant cores or serum injected. Terry might be one of them
I agree! So it was weird how her story ended there. Maybe it will be revisited in the second book. Can anyone who's read it confirm this? :?: :tiphat:
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ariely 20 »

S1234 wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 11:25
Ariely 20 wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 04:21 Terry's death and the lack of attention given to it by Carly could be because she felt that the deed had already been done and any action on her part would not make up for it.
True. I understand that reaction so I might be an entitled reader for wanting more from them. You know, just a little sense of responsibility?
I can understand that.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I feel like Terry's character didn't factor into the larger plot. The way that Adam and Carly moved past it made me wonder why it was even brought up in the first place, and the way the entire thing went down made me feel like it wasn't really necessary. Perhaps the author added Terry in there to really darken Adam, and even though Carly was there to "save him" I guess she decided that part wasn't something to dwell on. It makes her story all the more sad.
_Lilee_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilee.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by _Lilee_ »

The situation was one of the many reasons I disliked the relationship between Adam and Carly. While there is an explanation for Adam's actions, one I don't feel was sufficient enough to resolve all of his shortcomings, Carly had no such excuse except for the fact that she "loves" him and doesn't want to ruin their relationship. Regarding Adam, he knows what he attempted to do with Terry was entirely wrong and immoral and, yet, he still keeps the Den as is and doesn't tell Carly the truth after finding out why he was acting the way he did. Carly, on the other hand, knows some of what Adam did to Terry but still continues to be in a relationship with him, not even asking him questions. I feel like the situation with Terry really reveals the unhealthiness of their relationship.
vagrimes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vagrimes.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by vagrimes »

Howlan wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 05:04
thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 02:38 My biggest complaint. He causes this girl's death and it just gets shuffled off to non importance since they get to be superhero happy lovebirds.
Yes, I feel that you can not just walkway after hiding an innocent dead body and live life as if it was just another pebble on the road. It should have consequences.
Not only that, but I felt his behavior couldn't be explained by the Descendent traits, like his feelings towards his mom were. At the beginning there were two reasons why I really disliked Adam - his feelings towards his mom, and Terry. Dauma told him he was attracted to his mom because of the youth serum, but there didn't seem to be an explanation for Terry. Adam's actions when it came to Terry went completely unexplained and unresolved.
S1234
Currently Reading:

Post by S1234 »

vagrimes wrote: 02 May 2020, 11:46
thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 02:38 My biggest complaint. He causes this girl's death and it just gets shuffled off to non importance since they get to be superhero happy lovebirds.
Yes, I feel that you can not just walkway after hiding an innocent dead body and live life as if it was just another pebble on the road. It should have consequences.
Not only that, but I felt his behavior couldn't be explained by the Descendent traits, like his feelings towards his mom were. At the beginning there were two reasons why I really disliked Adam - his feelings towards his mom, and Terry. Dauma told him he was attracted to his mom because of the youth serum, but there didn't seem to be an explanation for Terry. Adam's actions when it came to Terry went completely unexplained and unresolved.
Would you classify this as a plot hole? Anyone read the other books? Maybe as Adam's character changes his views on his past deeds does also?
vagrimes
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vagrimes.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by vagrimes »

S1234 wrote: 02 May 2020, 13:38

Would you classify this as a plot hole? Anyone read the other books? Maybe as Adam's character changes his views on his past deeds does also?
That's a good point. If Terry is addressed in the next book then I'm more okay with the way it was glossed over in Opaque, but something about the way Carly acknowledged what he did but never brought it up with Adam made me think that was how the issue was "concluded."
S1234
Currently Reading:

Post by S1234 »

vagrimes wrote: 03 May 2020, 08:46
S1234 wrote: 02 May 2020, 13:38

That's a good point. If Terry is addressed in the next book then I'm more okay with the way it was glossed over in Opaque, but something about the way Carly acknowledged what he did but never brought it up with Adam made me think that was how the issue was "concluded."
Yeah. I hope there's more to it. It had me thinking how exactly they would handle Terry's death? If in the second book it turns out he was being controlled by his evil twin or something, then they would bring him to justice. This was kind of hinted in the scene, when he glances at his reflection which starts laughing a him. :?:
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

The way Terry's death was handled remains my biggest concern in this book. Almost like she never existed and it is not on anybody's conscience to talk about it. very weird
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

I definitely feel for Terry. I don't understand how Carly didn't want to know the full story and was able to just ignore a situation that included my boyfriend.
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

B Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 11:19
KDJ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 21:37
B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 17:28 Although I liked Adam and Carly and were glad they became a couple, the situation with Terry did make me wonder about them. Neither of them mentioned it to each other, and neither of them seemed to have a conscience about it. If I were Carly, I would want to know exactly how my boyfriend had been involved instead of just ignoring it. I agree about the parents never getting closure. It was like Terry didn't matter so why mention her anymore!
That is what I thought also. Kane brought flyers to Carly at one point, that I thought were Terry's missing person flyers, but nothing came of that. And since Carly incinerated his hideaway, she saw all the other things he had. She just acted like none of that happened. :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Exactly! She didn't even confront Adam about it!
Ahh! Exactly. And that is so out of character for her! I'm so confused! She comes off as having strong morals and independence, yet she doesn't exactly have a strong reaction to Terry or the Den or the Mommy Obsession! Burning the Den down isn't that strong of a reaction. Pretending like nothing happened after she burned it down isn't a strong reaction. Pretending nothing is wrong at dinner or after dinner at Adam's house is a very weak reaction. Where is the huge fight!? I feel like I'm missing something or I really misread her character.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

jdsatosk wrote: 18 May 2020, 22:12
B Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 11:19
KDJ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 21:37

That is what I thought also. Kane brought flyers to Carly at one point, that I thought were Terry's missing person flyers, but nothing came of that. And since Carly incinerated his hideaway, she saw all the other things he had. She just acted like none of that happened. :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Exactly! She didn't even confront Adam about it!
Ahh! Exactly. And that is so out of character for her! I'm so confused! She comes off as having strong morals and independence, yet she doesn't exactly have a strong reaction to Terry or the Den or the Mommy Obsession! Burning the Den down isn't that strong of a reaction. Pretending like nothing happened after she burned it down isn't a strong reaction. Pretending nothing is wrong at dinner or after dinner at Adam's house is a very weak reaction. Where is the huge fight!? I feel like I'm missing something or I really misread her character.
I know what you mean about Carly's character! I want to get a chance to read the next book and see if it will clear anything from this one up! I hope it does!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

While I understand that Adam wasn't in a great place mentally when Terry died, the way it was somewhat glossed over and not explored further once Carly knew the truth was very disturbing. His actions were in no way justified and the fact that she doesn't seem to hold him accountable or have her perception of him changed, was shocking. The fact that she burnt down the scene of the crime means there may never be justice for Terry.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”