Terry

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Re: Terry

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 17:03
gilliansisley wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 20:32 Truthfully, I despised Adam from the moment of Terry's death (well, it was weird when he lusted for his mom too, so our start before that wasn't great), and I spent the entire book resenting him for kidnapping her with chloroform, almost raping her, and then ultimately causing her death.

Despite all the character development, I couldn't get passed this, and the fact that Adam was the cause of her losing her life. And it's just like... No big thing for the main characters. Because Adam and Carly have super powers so woohoo it's no biggie and everything's fine and magical.

I'm a survivor of sexual assault. Terry's kidnapping, attempted rape and ultimate death were hugely upsetting to me. I cannot fathom how this classifies as YA fiction. Each time Terry's death was minimized, I had to ward off tears and upset. I didn't give a sh*t about Adam's powers and character progression-- what about justice for Terry?

When I read about characters in books, I try to humanize them. And reading what happened to Terry, and that in the end it basically didn't matter at all, was so horrendously cruel to me. I read the entire rest of the book in resentment.
I really don't even know why did we had that pages with Terry. It didn't bring anything to the plotline or characters besides make me more upset with the whole book. What was the author thinking? This is truly problematic. I am appealed how after he kidnaps her suddenly he just switched personality and he is all" oh don't be upset with this stranger shackled you, calm down" Like she is to blame for her own death. Terry died for nothing! On the other note, sorry for what happened to you.
Unfortunately, I think the author wanted to show the lengths Carly would go to hide Adam and herself from any sort of observation and suspicion of any kind.

As much as it may have been love, Carly is also hiding a secret about powers and so is Adam. At the beginning of the book we saw how out of control those powers were. I wonder how much of her cover up was self preservation.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I thought the overall attitude towards Terry was terrible. It was kind of like "so what if this boring ordinary girl died as long as the important Special Boy learned a lesson from it?" This part of the story definitely didn't sit well with me.
ciecheesemeister

gilliansisley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 18:29 You're too sweet, thank you for your kind words.

I entirely agree with how annoying his behaviour was. Adam was basically getting frustrated that she was panicking, and was annoyed that she wouldn't believe he meant no harm after kidapping her and bringing her to his creep sex shack in the middle of the woods!

She dies, and he's like "Oh no! What an unfortunate accident which was not in any way my fault at all, period!"

No clue what the purpose was. Completely ruined the entire book for me.
You summed it up very well. Perhaps he could have accidentally destroyed a car or something to discover his powers, or accidentally unleashed a tornado on his own creepy sex shack. But no, a person had to die so he could learn his lesson, and then nobody even seems to give a rip about her death. What??? :tiphat:
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:

I was really upset that Terry was never found for her family. I would have liked for Adam for face justice for what he did, but I would have really wanted for Terry’s family time put her to rest.

This part of the plot was a huge turnoff for me in this book. Not only was it upsetting, it was a loose end that was never tied up. We never find out what happened to her after she died. We just know that she ended up dead and that the only thing that was left in the room was a hair barrette of some kind.

I hope that in subsequent books Terry’s fate is addressed. To be honest, I am not hopeful, considering how other things in the book were handled.
ciecheesemeister

gilliansisley wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 20:32 Truthfully, I despised Adam from the moment of Terry's death (well, it was weird when he lusted for his mom too, so our start before that wasn't great), and I spent the entire book resenting him for kidnapping her with chloroform, almost raping her, and then ultimately causing her death.

Despite all the character development, I couldn't get passed this, and the fact that Adam was the cause of her losing her life. And it's just like... No big thing for the main characters. Because Adam and Carly have super powers so woohoo it's no biggie and everything's fine and magical.

I'm a survivor of sexual assault. Terry's kidnapping, attempted rape and ultimate death were hugely upsetting to me. I cannot fathom how this classifies as YA fiction. Each time Terry's death was minimized, I had to ward off tears and upset. I didn't give a sh*t about Adam's powers and character progression-- what about justice for Terry?

When I read about characters in books, I try to humanize them. And reading what happened to Terry, and that in the end it basically didn't matter at all, was so horrendously cruel to me. I read the entire rest of the book in resentment.
I'm a survivor of sexual assault as well. Oddly enough, this part of the book didn't trigger any of those memories. It mostly made me scratch my head that Adam didn't seem to feel any real remorse about someone getting killed because of his self-absorbed behavior. And Carly's attitude was peculiar as well. It was like "well, he did kidnap someone, and she did die because of his actions, but, heck, let's burn this place down and pretend none of it ever happened. Whaaaaat???
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:42

I'm a survivor of sexual assault as well. Oddly enough, this part of the book didn't trigger any of those memories. It mostly made me scratch my head that Adam didn't seem to feel any real remorse about someone getting killed because of his self-absorbed behavior. And Carly's attitude was peculiar as well. It was like "well, he did kidnap someone, and she did die because of his actions, but, heck, let's burn this place down and pretend none of it ever happened. Whaaaaat???

I kept thinking that the author was setting up him being a psychopath due to his lack of emotions! Did you get the sense like the whole Terry thing was supposed to be something that "happened" to him? (that's what I started to feel after Carly burned down the den due to both of their lack of remorse or concern about Terry)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:

Nym182 wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:52

I kept thinking that the author was setting up him being a psychopath due to his lack of emotions! Did you get the sense like the whole Terry thing was supposed to be something that "happened" to him? (that's what I started to feel after Carly burned down the den due to both of their lack of remorse or concern about Terry)
When I first started reading the book, I thought I was reading about a sociopathic rapist whose plans got messed up...I mean that is what happened, but I thought that was what the book was about.

And yes, the way it was written was almost like Terry’s death happened TO him. He even frames it in a way where he will never forget her and what happened and the impact she had on his life. Almost like he was a bystander, when he was the one who facilitated the whole thing.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:38
gilliansisley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 18:29 You're too sweet, thank you for your kind words.

I entirely agree with how annoying his behaviour was. Adam was basically getting frustrated that she was panicking, and was annoyed that she wouldn't believe he meant no harm after kidapping her and bringing her to his creep sex shack in the middle of the woods!

She dies, and he's like "Oh no! What an unfortunate accident which was not in any way my fault at all, period!"

No clue what the purpose was. Completely ruined the entire book for me.
You summed it up very well. Perhaps he could have accidentally destroyed a car or something to discover his powers, or accidentally unleashed a tornado on his own creepy sex shack. But no, a person had to die so he could learn his lesson, and then nobody even seems to give a rip about her death. What??? :tiphat:
EXACTLY. You make such a valid point here. There were so many other less disturbing ways he could have discovered he had super powers, BEYOND lusting for his mom and killing some innocent chick. Also, is treated as so normal like "oh yes that's why you're the way you are, powers", but I'm pretty sure NO ONE ELSE within the descendants was going around sexually assaulting and killing people as a side affect! If that was the case, they would have talked about it!

Not sure what the author was trying to accomplish here...
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

100%. It was all "woe is Adam that this girl got herself in such a tizzy that she ended up accidentally killing herself! Poor Adam must now feel slightly bad about it for 1.2 seconds. Dear Adam deserves a fresh start."

Such a toxic perspective. The moral of the story is basically "love fixes all darkness in your partner" and that is NOT the kind of message impressionable young people need to be receiving! That's how people get stuck in abusive relationships down the road!
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

Its always disappointing when a character I want to have a major role doesn't and they are instead swept off like they were a placeholder.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Terry deserves justice. I am waiting for this theme to be picked up in the rest of the series. Hopefully, Adam will mature enough to realize that Terry's parents need closure just like he wanted closure about his beginnings.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

Terry was nothing more than a means to show the reader how much Adam had thought about abusing her. And honestly, the death and the cover up was just moved to the side. Making it seem easy and or simple to dispose of a body without a trace...
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

Terry's appearance seemed quite incomplete to me. The author brought her to show Adam's dark side, but didn’t draw any conclusion to her character. At least her parents deserved clearance to move on.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

Terry's character is the incompleteness to the whole book. I think she deserved some more attention and closure. The author didn't do Justice to her character.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Chelsearoses wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 18:20 Spoilers

I feel Terry deserved better and justice for what happened to her. It was treated fairly casual. Thoughts?
As Adam didn't suffer any consequences and her death didn't bring anything to the plotline, my main issue is what is the point of it all?!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”