Terry

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
MK_Lexington
Favorite Book: S.
Currently Reading: The Magician's Nephew
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mk-lexington.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Terry

Post by MK_Lexington »

As much as I hate it, I think Terry's death is important to the plot to remind the reader that Adam is an actual psychopath. But what bothers me the most is the way that both Carly and Dauma handle this information as well. Although I don't agree with the way the situation was handled at all, I think that Carly's willingness to cover it up was significant for two reasons: it displayed how unhealthy their relationship is and it foreshadows her plan to kidnap Vikky.

There's a few parallels between the two kidnappings in the book. First of all, there's an important kidnapping at the beginning and another at the end. One kidnapping is made by Adam while the other is planned by Carly. The den and the basement are both secondary locations that were prepared in advance to hold someone hostage, again one belonging to Adam while the other belongs to Carly. And they both used the same ruse - shopping.

So of course Carly is willing to cover up Terry's death for Adam, she's disgustingly "in love" with him. But more than that, she's willing to commit the same crime herself.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Chelsearoses wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 23:47
Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 16:27
Chelsearoses wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 21:59

Yeah it doesn't read well to try and rush in loose details to try and tie everything up. Then to try and relay it and prep for the next book. I kind of feel if the author would have taken the time to just either add a brief last chapter OR an extra page or 2, the author could have added closure to a couple of things left for closure. And not maybe wait until the next book. Just take the small amount of time to wrap that up. At the very least with the smaller details. And leave the bigger details and cliff hangers for the next books.
I don’t think Carly burnt down the thing because she didn’t care. I really think she did it to evade capture for herself and Adam. Remember, she is in hiding and Adam is too once she discovers he has powers. My biggest problem with the whole thing is her reaction to it. Like...you’re not going to confront him about it at all? You basically tortured Vicky.
Okay yes, that bothered me too. The fact that she really didn't address it or confront him about it. Even at the end before the last scene, something like she's maybe at that location before heading into that facility where they left the girl. Just looking out somewhere, he walks up next to her. She doesn't even look him but calmy tells him or confronts him letting him know, essentially that there are things that have yet to be dealt with. That she saw the den, something to the effect of "There's a lot to be done, with her, with everything...I haven't forgotten Adam what you did to Terry. It wasn't right. And something like that can never happen again.." I don't know just letting him know, acknowledging that maybe small detail for some people. That he needs to keep his mental health and thoughts in check, stay on top that. Get special help for that, because it's not okay. And then maybe transition after leaving him to say nothing or not much, into the last scene that was used. Or maybe something completely different hah. Just acknowleging and confronting him. In some way.
Yes! Exactly! Not even an, “It can never happen again.” And then lets him into her super secret community!
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

I wish he was possessed by something so it wasn't really Adam in the end. This part makes it difficult for me to see him as a protagonist. Maybe there'll be explanations in the second instalment. Or his character might be headed for the dark side. Terry might be gone but all the unresolved issues surrounding her death are not. At least for me, they're not :D.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I think you are all making way too much of a plot device. Terry was there to demonstrate Adam's darkness and his struggle against it. Her death was a demonstration of how Adam isn't actually a bad person, but crap happens to him. According to the mechanics of this story, Adam is GENETICALLY different from other people in a way he doesn't understand. He's trying to figure out where he belongs, and with the way his thoughts and feelings are, the only thing he can come up with is "I'm a psychopath". Who wouldn't worry about that?

I agree, Carly being silent about what she knows, even to Adam, might be strange, except she knows exactly "what" they both are and that if any attention is brought to them, they'll end up in a lab full of evil scientists. It is sad, Terry's family will never have closure, but since it isn't important to the story for them to have it, I don't fault the author for handling the situation and wrapping it up as she did.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 23:35
Chelsearoses wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 23:47
Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 16:27

I don’t think Carly burnt down the thing because she didn’t care. I really think she did it to evade capture for herself and Adam. Remember, she is in hiding and Adam is too once she discovers he has powers. My biggest problem with the whole thing is her reaction to it. Like...you’re not going to confront him about it at all? You basically tortured Vicky.
Okay yes, that bothered me too. The fact that she really didn't address it or confront him about it. Even at the end before the last scene, something like she's maybe at that location before heading into that facility where they left the girl. Just looking out somewhere, he walks up next to her. She doesn't even look him but calmy tells him or confronts him letting him know, essentially that there are things that have yet to be dealt with. That she saw the den, something to the effect of "There's a lot to be done, with her, with everything...I haven't forgotten Adam what you did to Terry. It wasn't right. And something like that can never happen again.." I don't know just letting him know, acknowledging that maybe small detail for some people. That he needs to keep his mental health and thoughts in check, stay on top that. Get special help for that, because it's not okay. And then maybe transition after leaving him to say nothing or not much, into the last scene that was used. Or maybe something completely different hah. Just acknowleging and confronting him. In some way.
Yes! Exactly! Not even an, “It can never happen again.” And then lets him into her super secret community!
Something haha, something would have been nice. Leave other details and anticipations for the next books.
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

amihughson wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 18:00 I think you are all making way too much of a plot device. Terry was there to demonstrate Adam's darkness and his struggle against it. Her death was a demonstration of how Adam isn't actually a bad person, but crap happens to him. According to the mechanics of this story, Adam is GENETICALLY different from other people in a way he doesn't understand. He's trying to figure out where he belongs, and with the way his thoughts and feelings are, the only thing he can come up with is "I'm a psychopath". Who wouldn't worry about that?

I agree, Carly being silent about what she knows, even to Adam, might be strange, except she knows exactly "what" they both are and that if any attention is brought to them, they'll end up in a lab full of evil scientists. It is sad, Terry's family will never have closure, but since it isn't important to the story for them to have it, I don't fault the author for handling the situation and wrapping it up as she did.
Do you not think it was dark enough that he was striving to be a sociopath in the book? Or that he was so attracted to his mom, he had a psycho den of pictures?

I can agree that life isn’t fair and that they weren’t going to go to the police with it because they are in hiding. And I guess him trying to make her calm down and decide not to do what he was going to do is there to make us think he’s not AS dark, but at the same time I think at least someone should have had a problem. At least Dauma, who could have seen it in him. Someone!
S1234
Currently Reading:

Post by S1234 »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 22:31
amihughson wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 18:00 I think you are all making way too much of a plot device. Terry was there to demonstrate Adam's darkness and his struggle against it. Her death was a demonstration of how Adam isn't actually a bad person, but crap happens to him. According to the mechanics of this story, Adam is GENETICALLY different from other people in a way he doesn't understand. He's trying to figure out where he belongs, and with the way his thoughts and feelings are, the only thing he can come up with is "I'm a psychopath". Who wouldn't worry about that?

Do you not think it was dark enough that he was striving to be a sociopath in the book? Or that he was so attracted to his mom, he had a psycho den of pictures?

I can agree that life isn’t fair and that they weren’t going to go to the police with it because they are in hiding. And I guess him trying to make her calm down and decide not to do what he was going to do is there to make us think he’s not AS dark, but at the same time I think at least someone should have had a problem. At least Dauma, who could have seen it in him. Someone!
Think about if you found this about someone you just met. Wouldn't that linger on your mind for a while? I can understand it wouldn't, if this story is routing for Adam and Carly to go anti-hero. This may be a hint towards their future morals. Their secret becomes more important, than those unfairly affected by it. This is kind of like a hit and run situation. Most readers might be put off, because we're expecting them to be true protagonists. If they were, more would have been done for Terry's character, right?
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I guess it is understabable that they were afraid to say something as they would be in trouble, yet it was wrong and quite sad just to leave people asking about her like that. It would have been better to have been honest in the end and confess that he had not meant that to happen or something, at least then the issue would be closed and they would not be left wondering
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Though the book makes it seem like the character didn't matter, I still think Terry played a part in the development of Adam's character
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Terry's death was an accident but i felt the way it was completely ignored was unfair. I had hoped Adam would have found the courage to admit his mistake for her parents to find closure in the death of their daughter. I don't think Adam ever got over her death as we are told that it is something he will never forget and it's the most valuable lesson to date. Thats why he seemed to be more lenient to his sister Vikki when she was imprisoned. The other aspect is the age of Adam and Carly they are teenagers and somehow confused to the way to treat such a delicate matter.
Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nicolene75 »

I have to say in the beginning I thought wow he seriously has a very dark soul (especially taking into consideration the "mother obsession") but the author worded her writing carefully. I think it said something in the lines of it's like he is looking at the situation (where he captured her) as though he is an outsider, through a mirror. That kind of gives you a clue that he is not totally in control of himself and later on they mention a twin brother ... makes you think, doesn't it?

I am a reader, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Interesting, it's food for thoght
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

The incident with Terry, her abduction and accidental death, permanently and significantly changed my thoughts on Adam from the get-go. I think she is the biggest reason why I never truly connected with the protagonists of the story.

There was no closure to her disappearance. Everything was swept under the rug. Even Carly, on learning about what happened, seemed to just accept and dismiss the (inadvertent) murder of this girl. I feel terrible about Terry. Adam and Carly have done her wrong by essentially just forgetting about her existence.
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ariely 20 »

Terry's death and the lack of attention given to it by Carly could be because she felt that the deed had already been done and any action on her part would not make up for it.
S1234
Currently Reading:

Post by S1234 »

Ariely 20 wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 04:21 Terry's death and the lack of attention given to it by Carly could be because she felt that the deed had already been done and any action on her part would not make up for it.
True. I understand that reaction so I might be an entitled reader for wanting more from them. You know, just a little sense of responsibility?

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”