MILF fantasies and mental health

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Re: MILF fantasies and mental health

Post by readerrihana »

I think perhaps the author added it to draw peoples attention and to show that they are learned in things such as the Oedipus complex etc.

However, I think it's not really appropriate to the book or storyline and does not add anything, and obviously makes people uncomfortable, and especially for younger people so it could have been better without
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It has included as a part of character development. But the used content may be intended to grasp a different kind of audience
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

In my opinion whole this Oedipal complex stuff becomes overused cliche in modern pop culture. Everyone it seems relay on it to justify actions and motives, even when it seems really far fetched.
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

I think putting this element in the book presented an enormous opportunity for the author to deal with mental health issues. Instead, I felt like the author just waved it off with the explanation of the serum his mother had ingested. As other people have stated, this is an actual complex people possess. I don't think it added to the story in any way.
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by mama_ash »

I was so put-off by this in the beginning - of course, it came to make sense. I don't think it was totally necessary, but it added to the storyline and draws in the reader. I actually almost wanted to stop reading because it made me so uncomfortable, but glad I powered through.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Jezebelle84 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 13:58 I think putting this element in the book presented an enormous opportunity for the author to deal with mental health issues. Instead, I felt like the author just waved it off with the explanation of the serum his mother had ingested. As other people have stated, this is an actual complex people possess. I don't think it added to the story in any way.
Have you taken a look at the next book in the series? I agree with your assessment that the book, and even the story arc, gives the author the opportunity to deal with mental health issues. I also agree that she didn't truly capitalize on the opportunity the way she could have. It will be interesting to see if she deals with it at some future point in another book. Honestly, though, at this point, I don't even like Adam. :roll:
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

In a strange way, Adam's obsession with his mother reminded me of Nabokov's Lolita and Humbert's dreams and fascination with the pubescent girl. For me, it could have added value to the book if the author hadn't had the tendency to fall into the trap of vulgarity and grossness.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 04:56 In a strange way, Adam's obsession with his mother reminded me of Nabokov's Lolita and Humbert's dreams and fascination with the pubescent girl. For me, it could have added value to the book if the author hadn't had the tendency to fall into the trap of vulgarity and grossness.
Thank you. Very well said. The fact that the author did fall into that trap is largely why I think it was included more for shock value than anything else.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

I found it very off-putting and disturbing. I think that it was added for a shock value, because it is definitely different, and the author tried to make it more essential to the plot as a excuse for it. I personally would have preferred the author to take another route.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Jac-o-lantern wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 10:09 I found it very off-putting and disturbing. I think that it was added for a shock value, because it is definitely different, and the author tried to make it more essential to the plot as a excuse for it. I personally would have preferred the author to take another route.
I agree! The author took a big risk using incest to show how the serum connects Adam and Jo and I think it fell pretty flat. They could have used another means to do so!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Jezebelle84 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 13:58 I think putting this element in the book presented an enormous opportunity for the author to deal with mental health issues. Instead, I felt like the author just waved it off with the explanation of the serum his mother had ingested. As other people have stated, this is an actual complex people possess. I don't think it added to the story in any way.
yesssss, I agree with this 100%!! I felt that the serum was such a weak explanation and did not satisfy me at all!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

It would have been to serious and dark for a YA novel if the author continued on that.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

mama_ash wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 19:11 I was so put-off by this in the beginning - of course, it came to make sense. I don't think it was totally necessary, but it added to the storyline and draws in the reader. I actually almost wanted to stop reading because it made me so uncomfortable, but glad I powered through.
Yes, most readers have gone reading based on what-ifs...
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

The sexual attraction that was implied in the beginning almost made me put down the book but I continued out of sheer will. The curious part was that it wasn't even referenced properly later on and was brushed aside too lightly and the same with the weird, psychopathic cabin that belonged to Adam. So it does seem like it was used as an attention grabbing tool. But the story did turn out pretty decent in the end.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

I think that the author did a rather good job if Adam the character was a source of such emotions. Negative emotions but still it was effective.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”