MILF fantasies and mental health

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Re: MILF fantasies and mental health

Post by Laura Lee »

kaylahk17 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:36 I found the beginning off-putting and creepy because of this. His feelings towards his mother and father almost made me close the book. I am glad I didnt but I don't feel the level of emotions were needed to complete the plot.
In continuing the book, did you find that your feelings toward Adam continued to be colored by the beginning of the book? Or did the rest of the book contain enough balance to redeem him (in a sense)?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

It was 100% for shock value. There are some things about the book that I honestly don’t know why it’s even there, because they don’t seem to actually be of any importance to the plot. The obsession Adam has for his mom, just shows shocks readers in the first chapters and then makes them continue reading. It feels like click-bait but for books.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Laura Lee wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 11:14 What are your thoughts on Adam's fantasies of his mother and jealousy of his father? Based on the various elements of the book (such as how his repulsion of Vikki was explained as being genetic), would you consider this integral to the plot? Or did you get the feeling this was added for just shock value and not essential for the overall development of the story?
I think it was partially used as shock value. It isn't a common theme used in stories. I immediatly thought of Oedipus Rex when reading it. But I also think it was a good point to emphasis to explain how different he was.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Tan TR wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 22:29 It was 100% for shock value. There are some things about the book that I honestly don’t know why it’s even there, because they don’t seem to actually be of any importance to the plot. The obsession Adam has for his mom, just shows shocks readers in the first chapters and then makes them continue reading. It feels like click-bait but for books.
"Click-bait for books." I love it! What a perfect description. This element, immediately followed by the kidnapping of the girl, really destroyed any liking I had for Adam. He's not "superhero" material as I've seen him described. He's anti-hero at best.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Letora wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 06:57 I think it was partially used as shock value. It isn't a common theme used in stories. I immediatly thought of Oedipus Rex when reading it. But I also think it was a good point to emphasis to explain how different he was.
I thought of Oedipus Rex, too. The difference, of course, was that initially Oedipus didn't know she was his mother. I guess my main problem is that I want to admire or at least like the people I read about. And I don't like Adam.
Laura Lee

kaylahk17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahk17.html
Latest Review: The Chamberland Maze Run by Justin A. Evans

Post by kaylahk17 »

Laura Lee wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 14:59
kaylahk17 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:36 I found the beginning off-putting and creepy because of this. His feelings towards his mother and father almost made me close the book. I am glad I didnt but I don't feel the level of emotions were needed to complete the plot.
In continuing the book, did you find that your feelings toward Adam continued to be colored by the beginning of the book? Or did the rest of the book contain enough balance to redeem him (in a sense)?
I was able to appreciate his growth as a character and willingness to change. With that being said, I had my red flags out already each time he acted. I think it made me weary that he might revert to his old way and feelings. I am glad he did not and made a commitment to healing his mental health.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

kaylahk17 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:49
Laura Lee wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 14:59 In continuing the book, did you find that your feelings toward Adam continued to be colored by the beginning of the book? Or did the rest of the book contain enough balance to redeem him (in a sense)?
I was able to appreciate his growth as a character and willingness to change. With that being said, I had my red flags out already each time he acted. I think it made me weary that he might revert to his old way and feelings. I am glad he did not and made a commitment to healing his mental health.
Thanks for your reply! I like how you phrased it: such a character was wearying. That sums up well why I did not enjoy the book. I read for a break, not to be further exhausted! LOL
Laura Lee

SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

I’m in two minds about it. It’s not a trait I can remember reading in a character before so at least it’s interesting. I haven’t finished the book yet but I suspect I will remember the character of Adam for a while. For me, that’s always a big tick for a book.

But it does make him extremely unlikeable and it makes the book more challenging to read. I’m not hating the book at the moment and yet I’m not sure I’m exactly enjoying it either.

I’m at a point where I still want to find out more about Adam. So, it hasn’t stop me reading the book.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I honestly think it was just...for shock value. I don't know, maybe it just wasn't for me though...
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

If it wasn't for the explanation later on that he only had these thoughts about his mother because of the serum in her blood, I would say that it would have been all for shock value. When I read through that piece before knowing about the serum, I thought it was overdone a bit. The recovery makes sense, but it is questionable.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

rbrochhausen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:50 If it wasn't for the explanation later on that he only had these thoughts about his mother because of the serum in her blood, I would say that it would have been all for shock value. When I read through that piece before knowing about the serum, I thought it was overdone a bit. The recovery makes sense, but it is questionable.
That's a good point. I wonder, however, if it could have been handled via some other way that isn't soooo taboo. That element honestly destroyed by enjoyment of the book.
Laura Lee

Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Yes this book resolves conflicts clearly at the end and gives us a good story.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

rbrochhausen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:50 If it wasn't for the explanation later on that he only had these thoughts about his mother because of the serum in her blood, I would say that it would have been all for shock value. When I read through that piece before knowing about the serum, I thought it was overdone a bit. The recovery makes sense, but it is questionable.
I think that it was questionable right from the beginning that he is not his real mother. He is adopted and something feels different about Adam. Especially, Carly pointing her out to be the stepmom.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

corinaelena wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:09 I honestly think it was just...for shock value. I don't know, maybe it just wasn't for me though...
Yes a definite shocker of first ten pages..
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Waldorf wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 16:32 I’m in two minds about it. It’s not a trait I can remember reading in a character before so at least it’s interesting. I haven’t finished the book yet but I suspect I will remember the character of Adam for a while. For me, that’s always a big tick for a book.

But it does make him extremely unlikeable and it makes the book more challenging to read. I’m not hating the book at the moment and yet I’m not sure I’m exactly enjoying it either.

I’m at a point where I still want to find out more about Adam. So, it hasn’t stop me reading the book.
It generally has this effect on people. The story feels off in the beginning but has lots of twists and turns to get the reader going.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”