MILF fantasies and mental health

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Re: MILF fantasies and mental health

Post by mishkaat »

I have not read the nook but from reviews it is seemed it is a good book.the character of Adam seems to be appealing.
silvafaerie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvafaerie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by silvafaerie »

I really didn't like that he was attracted to his mom. I am so glad to find out that It was just the serum and that it wasn't his real mom. I don't think it added to the story.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

KitabuKizuri wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:52
shannonkate8 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 16:03
What are your thoughts on Adam's fantasies of his mother and jealousy of his father?
...Now, this was initially produced by Freud who is, at this point, generally ignored because his theories were so sexually based.
First encountered Freud's theories in a psychological thriller starring Keira Knightley. Very weird fellow. I can' even put the title here. It's not a family movie.
Well now I'm interest and you'll have to share!
Freud definitely had some good ideas but was rather wacky and sex-obsessed.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

It's easy to find the title online based on the above parameters... I'm not putting it here.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I think the movie is more of a drama than a thriller, sometimes I get the genres wrong.
ninski
Favorite Book: Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninski.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ninski »

I would like to read an interview with the author that asks whether this sexual attraction felt by Adam towards his mother was inspired by a real life event, or an anecdote, or a documentary maybe, or is it there simply to evoke shock or disgust?
If anyone has seen an interview somewhere please let me know :wink:
“The problem with fiction, it has to be plausible. That's not true with non-fiction.”
Tom Wolfe
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

gayscott wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 12:38 :o I have not read the book, as of yet. From reading the posts on this idea from the book, I have to admit the idea of him being attracted to his mom this way is revolting to me. I would give the book a chance though, because the rest of the book does sound intriguing. Maybe this does add to his character.
Yeah, despite the rough beginning, the rest of the story is quite interesting.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

ninski wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 10:39 I would like to read an interview with the author that asks whether this sexual attraction felt by Adam towards his mother was inspired by a real life event, or an anecdote, or a documentary maybe, or is it there simply to evoke shock or disgust?
Yeah I would also be really interested in hearing from the author about that!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
ninski
Favorite Book: Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninski.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ninski »

Thanks for the vote of support!
“The problem with fiction, it has to be plausible. That's not true with non-fiction.”
Tom Wolfe
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

You're welcome.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

ninski wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 10:39 I would like to read an interview with the author that asks whether this sexual attraction felt by Adam towards his mother was inspired by a real life event, or an anecdote, or a documentary maybe, or is it there simply to evoke shock or disgust?
Oh! I hadn't thought of that. That would be interesting to hear.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:21
Yeah I would also be really interested in hearing from the author about that!
Yes me too!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

redrockwolf wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 13:06 I found it to be a huge part of the story. It was one of the big questions that needed an answer. I feel that the author's taking it almost to the extreme was more for shock value. But, for the most part, his obsession over his mother caused the most significant points in his darkness. It was integral to the overall story.
I do agree that it does have some value to the story, but I would think that the Terry Thing would have relayed his darkness enough... But it's also supposed to illustrate the connection between Adam and Jo... However, they could have achieved the same thing by making him intuitive to her or having some kind of telepathic connection with her... I think the main purpose was for shock value and I really didn't like the serum angle... fell flat for me.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Waldorf wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 16:32 I’m in two minds about it. It’s not a trait I can remember reading in a character before so at least it’s interesting. I haven’t finished the book yet but I suspect I will remember the character of Adam for a while. For me, that’s always a big tick for a book.

But it does make him extremely unlikeable and it makes the book more challenging to read. I’m not hating the book at the moment and yet I’m not sure I’m exactly enjoying it either.

I’m at a point where I still want to find out more about Adam. So, it hasn’t stop me reading the book.
You make a really interesting point! I think I will also remember Adam for awhile... just not for the best reasons haha
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

vermontelf wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 09:52 I do not think that this was integral to the story, nor an interesting plot twist. I did appreciate that the reader was given a reason for it and able to empathize with Adam once we better understood his blood. However, this strand of the story is one of the reasons I would argue against most young adults reading the story. If it had been handled in a more muted way, it might be ok for a more general audience, but the author's style is to be graphic and shocking, ergo inappropriate for most YA readers.
While it does help to explain the strained father/son relationship and intense mother/son relationship, it really doesn't build the story.
I agree with you wholeheartedly! They could have shown the connection the serum created between Jo and Adam in a less creepy way, such as giving them a telepathic connection (like twins) or making Adam extremely intuitive to her... And I thought the serum excuse did not excuse or take away the creepy factor by any means!

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”