Adam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Re: Adam

Post by Giga51087 »

Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
I to belived that Adam has a lot of villain clot. The begining of the book portrais it as a stalker, a hijaker, an piromane, a potential rapist and murderer. And later all is begone and well. Noting happened
So disapointing the 180° degrees turn of the character beavior. But well, all its good and well in Piure, so keep going.
Unless... is that a bunch of evil rusian scientists in the horizon, lets kill them all.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Giga51087 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 20:17
Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
I to belived that Adam has a lot of villain clot. The begining of the book portrais it as a stalker, a hijaker, an piromane, a potential rapist and murderer. And later all is begone and well. Noting happened
So disapointing the 180° degrees turn of the character beavior. But well, all its good and well in Piure, so keep going.
Unless... is that a bunch of evil rusian scientists in the horizon, lets kill them all.
I was not a fan of Adam's turn around into a "good guy" - The only way I think it would work is if he does end up being a villain.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I'm glad he didn't turn out to be the villain, but he certainly did behave in questionable ways in several circumstances. His character could be more defined in future books of the series as he matures and learn more about his abilities.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

kdstrack wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 15:55 I'm glad he didn't turn out to be the villain, but he certainly did behave in questionable ways in several circumstances. His character could be more defined in future books of the series as he matures and learn more about his abilities.
I think there is still room for him to become a villain!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 16:42
kdstrack wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 15:55 I'm glad he didn't turn out to be the villain, but he certainly did behave in questionable ways in several circumstances. His character could be more defined in future books of the series as he matures and learn more about his abilities.
I agree. Even in this first volume, the author keeps you wondering. I still wonder about his controlling attitudes towards Carly. I also think the "Terry" issue will resurface at some point. Yes! There definitely is still room!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

kdstrack wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 22:28
Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 16:42
I agree. Even in this first volume, the author keeps you wondering. I still wonder about his controlling attitudes towards Carly. I also think the "Terry" issue will resurface at some point. Yes! There definitely is still room!
For me, that would be the only way to save this series... It's just too easy for Adam to be changed that quickly and stably.
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

I agree that Adam should have been a villain, it just would've made more sense with the opening. With him becoming 'good' it just felt odd and like his misdeeds were too easily forgotten.
Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Giga51087 »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:31
I was not a fan of Adam's turn around into a "good guy" - The only way I think it would work is if he does end up being a villain.
Well, wen all is said and put on paper its hard to make a come back. The autor has decided to play the role of the hero, in a way that even the anti hero path was almost closed up to.
In a way of view it you can praise her, she is a stubborn one. The main character comeback it is forced, but the closing of the book makes it in a way that has the potential of realy reforming Adam. All of us has al little bit of anger managment troubles (Adam has a lot, it´s petty, has oedipus complex, and thinks himself a "hubbermensch"), but with the rigth stimulus we can make a comeback to.
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

KDJ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 11:17 I think there is the possibility of Adam being an anti hero in the next installment. He is still just a seventeen year old kid, so he could still go either way. If anything happens to Carly or JoAnna, he could go dark. Without Carly as a guiding light, he could easily leave many Terrys in his wake. Adam as an anti hero would make a great story.
I agree. I thought he'd be the villain of the story and Carly was going to have to deal with him while also protecting herself from the Iksha. Ah well. If Carly died one of the Descendants would have to tragically kill him which would be a change for a young adult fiction story.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Jac-o-lantern wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 04:28 I agree that Adam should have been a villain, it just would've made more sense with the opening. With him becoming 'good' it just felt odd and like his misdeeds were too easily forgotten.
yeah, it seemed like the author just wanted to quickly establish how bad Adam was and quickly resolve him with Carly and then the whole story moved on. Not only does he not face any consequences, but weakened Carly as a character as well since she just gave him a "fresh start" she felt he "deserved" and that's that...
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Giga51087 wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 11:00
Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:31

Well, wen all is said and put on paper its hard to make a come back. The autor has decided to play the role of the hero, in a way that even the anti hero path was almost closed up to.
In a way of view it you can praise her, she is a stubborn one. The main character comeback it is forced, but the closing of the book makes it in a way that has the potential of realy reforming Adam. All of us has al little bit of anger managment troubles (Adam has a lot, it´s petty, has oedipus complex, and thinks himself a "hubbermensch"), but with the rigth stimulus we can make a comeback to.
That's an interesting point of view! I do think it will be really easy for Adam to quickly fall back to his old ways.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

S1234 wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 11:23
KDJ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 11:17 I think there is the possibility of Adam being an anti hero in the next installment. He is still just a seventeen year old kid, so he could still go either way. If anything happens to Carly or JoAnna, he could go dark. Without Carly as a guiding light, he could easily leave many Terrys in his wake. Adam as an anti hero would make a great story.
I agree. I thought he'd be the villain of the story and Carly was going to have to deal with him while also protecting herself from the Iksha. Ah well. If Carly died one of the Descendants would have to tragically kill him which would be a change for a young adult fiction story.
Oh that sounds like a much more interesting story! Maybe even making Carly more of an anti hero?
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

I am not sure if anyone has read "After". Just like the hero in that book, I didn't like, my disliking towards Adam never ceased. Yes, he was human, but he fell on the darker side of the territory. (I think)
arigray9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arigray9.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by arigray9 »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 10:44 I agree. I ended up not being able to get through the beginning because Adam was too much for me. He was too negative and angry and I couldn't decide what it was he was angry about.
I completely understand. When Adam kept referring to everyone except JoAnn as an “animal” I was certain he was a sociopath. The events with Terry and his creepy den confirmed it. I thought it was nice that Carly was able to help him but it seemed like he flipped it switch too fast to be realistic.
S1234
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:51
S1234 wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 11:23
Oh that sounds like a much more interesting story! Maybe even making Carly more of an anti hero?
Yes. That would have been fun. Instead of a romance between them, Carly takes it upon herself to deal with Adam and becomes an anti-hero in the process to save others from Adam's darker side. You never know this might happen in the next story. Adam's character could go darker.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”