Adam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
FelDee
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: A Voice in the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feldee.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
fav_author_id: 6456

Re: Adam

Post by FelDee »

I just started the book last night and was definitely surprised about the first chapter. It totally creeped me out, but I think that was the point so I can't get mad at that. To me this isn't about a rebellious teenage so much as how a sociopath thinks. I like it when books dive into the forbidden minds of people that would be considered scary, it bring a different prespective.
MK_Lexington
Favorite Book: S.
Currently Reading: The Magician's Nephew
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mk-lexington.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by MK_Lexington »

I also think Adam would make a good villain and if he does go dark, it wouldn't be entirely unexpected because he's still a psychopath. And although there's been some character development in the first book, he hasn't really matured that much because he's still obsessive and jealous. I will say he's definitely become happier and is able to rationalize some bad decisions before making them, however I still think he's a psychopath.

But because of his already dark ways, he's the most likely to be redeemed and who doesn't love a good reception arc? Part of me wonders if he'll first plummet into being a true antagonist of the plot (seeing as how he's still the protagonist in the narrative), and then give him a full redemption arc?
Official_Sammie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-official-sammie.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Official_Sammie »

You are right. I also find it difficult to relate with Adam's character at the beginning. He was quite surrounded by bit of negativity. This make readers loss interest because the supposed hero is a psychopath.
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

He's not what you'll expect in a YA fiction so it makes sense for people to be shocked by him. I was for sure. I was expecting something more lighthearted but Adam's negativity dominates most of the story.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

Adam's character was more real to me in the beginning of the book. I wasn't troubled by his "darkness" because a character that flawed has such room for improvement. What I didn't like was that after Carly comes into the picture, even though the supernatural element of the story is genetic, her presence seems to magically mellow him out. Also, once the explanation are done, Adam seems to fade really far into the background. That was jarring to me considering he is supposedly the main character.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 12:56 Adam creeped me out from the get-go. When I read the interview with the author where she talks about having sympathy for troubled teens, I was expecting the sort of person who is misunderstood and bullied, someone with whom I would also sympathize. Adam seemed like a sociopath. I was certainly done with him when his actions lead to the death of Terry, but since this is a work of fiction, I tried to look for character development within the rest of the story. I still can't say that I like him, but he did seem more mature by the end of the book.
I agree 100 percent. He referred to people as "animals" and wanted to kill his father? That's not troubled that's just, like you said, sociopathic. Plus, where was the reasoning behind this hatred? Usually with troubled teens you can trace it back to something or another, but where was it with Adam? Like, he had a good home, he was (surprisingly) respected and kind of popular, and he was good-looking. Not to say that all those things means you can't be troubled, but where was the troubled coming from is my point.
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

I almost quit reading after the cabin scene with Terry - that's not my idea of enjoyable fiction. However, that was the peak of Adam's depravity and I felt a bit better knowing he regretted his actions. But in real life, I don't care how badly he felt afterward, he was responsible for another person's death and was never held accountable. I would have preferred if that whole scene had been a fantasy. Knowing what she knew, Carly should have run in the other direction!
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

In the beggining Adam character was displayed as evil and dark. One almost regret reading the book as it seemed to be going on a very dark side. Am glad that the writer brought out the aspect of his dark and good side as everyone of us is capable of going either way based on our friend and choices. Carly is one of the best choice to come Adam's way because she managed to pull him in the right direction.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

It could have gone either way with him. But I think making him the villain would be too predictable so I'm satisfied with how it went.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

A darker shade to Adam's character would've given it the edge required to make the story a better one. But I think the author was bound by the ropes of the YA genre. The book would have had so much potential with a villainous Adam and without the YA tag.
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

I haven't read the book but from your description. Vilifying Adam may have been cliche and predictable and could have made the entire story undesirable.
Fabian
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

Alicer wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 17:13 In the beggining Adam character was displayed as evil and dark. One almost regret reading the book as it seemed to be going on a very dark side. Am glad that the writer brought out the aspect of his dark and good side as everyone of us is capable of going either way based on our friend and choices. Carly is one of the best choice to come Adam's way because she managed to pull him in the right direction.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing your view.
Fabian
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

It certainly would have been very interesting to see Adam as the villain. Arguably, I may have enjoyed that version of the story more. From the get-go, Adam's dismissal of others, his aggressive demeanor, obsessive tendencies, and clear sociopathic tendencies disturbed me quite a bit. I found it hard to connect to / relate to / or even like him as the protagonist of the story. If he had gone the alternate route, as an anti-hero / villain, my opinion of him wouldn't change, but I would have been much more engaged in reading the story.
TheNeouReader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theneoureader.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by TheNeouReader »

I wouldn't want Adam to be an anti-hero type character, he's not likable enough. As in, I don't care to root for him. I think he would've been better off as a villian or at least given leeway to be more "edgy." Regardless, his character was too creepy and cynical... I much preferred reading the scenes in the novel where he wasn't the focus.
Musk doaab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musk-doaab.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Musk doaab »

Yeah, the beginning is really misleading, here you are asking yourself to take a grip and make it through and as the story continues, you realize it was all for nothing. Adam is like any young main lead thinking he should be good now and amend his ways all the while protecting his girl. Carly though really came up strong and unpredictable; sweet, smart, funny yet a dangerous opponent.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”