Adam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: Adam

Post by Nym182 »

S1234 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 04:06
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:51
S1234 wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 11:23

I agree. I thought he'd be the villain of the story and Carly was going to have to deal with him while also protecting herself from the Iksha. Ah well. If Carly died one of the Descendants would have to tragically kill him which would be a change for a young adult fiction story.
Oh that sounds like a much more interesting story! Maybe even making Carly more of an anti hero?
Yes. That would have been fun. Instead of a romance between them, Carly takes it upon herself to deal with Adam and becomes an anti-hero in the process to save others from Adam's darker side. You never know this might happen in the next story. Adam's character could go darker.
I like the way you think! Do you think you will read the next books?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

I might read the second one just to find out what happens to Adam. But honestly, because I enjoy making up possible scenarios for Adam and Carly and changing the story, anything else would disappoint me 😂. What about you?
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

There were some disturbing things about Adam in the beginning, yet he showed he had a conscience that prevented him from seeing through with his darker side, and he did seem to have some compassion and even an inner goodness that became more apparent later on

So I guess he is alot better than many teenagers who go through with whatever they feel like without compassion or thought for others

We just don't see inside most people and read them like books so we don't know what their selves are trying them to do

Doesn't mean I agreed with everything he thought and did though
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

S1234 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 07:05 I might read the second one just to find out what happens to Adam. But honestly, because I enjoy making up possible scenarios for Adam and Carly and changing the story, anything else would disappoint me 😂. What about you?
I'd probably read it if it's up for review here, I wouldn't waste my free time reading it... But if it were, I know going into it that I will most likely be mad the entire time I read it ha
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

readerrihana wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:14 There were some disturbing things about Adam in the beginning, yet he showed he had a conscience that prevented him from seeing through with his darker side, and he did seem to have some compassion and even an inner goodness that became more apparent later on

So I guess he is alot better than many teenagers who go through with whatever they feel like without compassion or thought for others

We just don't see inside most people and read them like books so we don't know what their selves are trying them to do

I get what you are saying, I just don't buy that someone who is rapidly going down Psychopath Lane could make such a drastic change in such a short amount of time because he met a girl.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:31
readerrihana wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:14 There were some disturbing things about Adam in the beginning, yet he showed he had a conscience that prevented him from seeing through with his darker side, and he did seem to have some compassion and even an inner goodness that became more apparent later on

I get what you are saying, I just don't buy that someone who is rapidly going down Psychopath Lane could make such a drastic change in such a short amount of time because he met a girl.
Yes, I think you are right, perhaps it's not just from meeting a girl but something from himself its changing...maybe he just growing up? Becoming more happy?

But I think even if people are going down the wrong road, they can come back, or find another way, especially if they find someone to lead them in the right direction

Perhaps he was in need of that guide
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

readerrihana wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:42
Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:31

Yes, I think you are right, perhaps it's not just from meeting a girl but something from himself its changing...maybe he just growing up? Becoming more happy?

But I think even if people are going down the wrong road, they can come back, or find another way, especially if they find someone to lead them in the right direction

Perhaps he was in need of that guide
I get what you are saying, and I do think that people can change, but the amount of change Adam experiences in a short amount of time is unrealistic to me... He kidnapped and murdered someone he had planned to rape in a den he found just for that purpose... that's something that would require years and years of therapy.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

A character portrayed so darkly can actually be really interesting. However, a character showing all their dark points at the beginning runs the risk of turning people off the story. In my opinion, I feel like a character's good and bad should be explored together, not making them extreme for the sake of it.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

I don't think so, the beginning was used to portray a character who is lost and does not understand himself. He feels he does not belong, so he uses anger to push people away and create isolation for himself.
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:30
S1234 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 07:05 I might read the second one just to find out what happens to Adam. But honestly, because I enjoy making up possible scenarios for Adam and Carly and changing the story, anything else would disappoint me 😂. What about you?
I'd probably read it if it's up for review here, I wouldn't waste my free time reading it... But if it were, I know going into it that I will most likely be mad the entire time I read it ha
I know what you mean- the first book didn't grab me well enough. Ah well! The future of Adam and Carly shall remain a mystery! :tiphat: I'm mainly upset because was expecting one thing and got something else.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Adam creeped me out from the get-go. When I read the interview with the author where she talks about having sympathy for troubled teens, I was expecting the sort of person who is misunderstood and bullied, someone with whom I would also sympathize. Adam seemed like a sociopath. I was certainly done with him when his actions lead to the death of Terry, but since this is a work of fiction, I tried to look for character development within the rest of the story. I still can't say that I like him, but he did seem more mature by the end of the book.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:30
That's pretty much how I felt. There was one point where I almost stopped reading because I was so disgusted, but I soldiered on because this is literally about the only job I can do at this point (I'm disabled) and I figured it would be a waste of my time if I quit and didn't get paid for it. :tiphat:
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I think in the beginning he was and I do not think it was because he did not understand himself as a teenager. He thought that other teenagers were animals and he did like his dad. He kidnaps a girl for no reason. And in the novel, the others call it his dark side and they made it sound like it was okay.
Hi_low
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hi-low.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Hi_low »

I can definitely see Adam becoming a Villain. Even with the obvious hero direction the book is going in with his character, I could see him reverting back to his shady ways if anything ever happened to Jo or Carly.

In the beginning it almost felt like there were two Adams fighting each other for control. It would have been interesting to explore that more.

I don't really like how a lot of his darker aspects were explained away but it makes sense in a way.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 10:44 I agree. I ended up not being able to get through the beginning because Adam was too much for me. He was too negative and angry and I couldn't decide what it was he was angry about.
Same here.. I could not connect with Adam at all.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”